“Simply enchanting and great fun!”

Palm Beach Hibiscus
Reviewed 26 January 2009

The Hibiscus House Downtown made my weekend in West Palm Beach truly special. I was meeting up with a friend of mine I hadn't seen in years, and he recommended this place. It is this oasis down an enchanting street in the heart of the City Shopping Area. Everything is a stone's throw away - shopping, a Muvico movie theatre, not to mention a slew of bars and other entertainment. If you're the type that hates the idea of a ten-yard walk, you have ample simple transport at your fingertips in the form of charming trolleys or bicycle rickshaws.

The house itself is gorgeous with a lovely front porch and relaxing sitting room. Missy is a gregarious, welcoming woman who has a soft spot for cats that can be found throughout the property. Andy - the resident bartender - can be counted on for some delicious concoctions and terrific chat at the bar, as you meet an ecletic bunch of regulars.

You never know who'll you meet at breakfast - from actor to theatre critic, tourist to artist - it just makes the whole experience more interesting.

I cannot recommend the Hibiscus House Downtown enough. The property, the characters and the location cannot be beaten. If you're a social traveller who appreciates the B&B, this is definitely the place for you!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank bighairvicki
There are newer reviews for Palm Beach Hibiscus

Reviewed 3 January 2009

Just a great find. We arrived at midnight on Christmas Day and everything was waiting for us. The room was terrific and the staff (Missy, Louie and Kenny ) could not have been better and more accommodating. We also had the added surprise of having the star (Valerie Harper) and part of the production company from the play LOOPED staying at the B&B. Breakfast was always lively with their stories. Parking was very easy with the passes from Missy.
The bar was lively but you never heard anything in your room. It was also close to City Center. It's a great area for strolling into a sidewalk cafe or restaurant. It also had great shopping and was very convenient for getting to the airport, Palm Beach or any of the major roads (I-95, Florida Turnpike etc.). We are B&B people and love meeting people. This was one of the best and most friendly ones we have ever stayed at. It was truly a great place to stay and will be our first choice when we return.

Vinny and Linda

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2008

Quiet, safe, street parking available (try to reuse your pass, they are paid for by the Hibi), next door to a Publix, one block from City Place (on Rosemary), Trolley Station right out front (free), nine rooms to choose from either in the main house or adjoining house. All of the rooms are spotless. I am all about clean. And friendly. There are several gardens on the property, fresh herbs, and seating outside and inside. There is a bar located in the main house so you never have to go more than a few steps to kick back and relax. The Hibiscus House Downtown is basically a private, quiet place to spend your time while in West Palm Beach.

About my trip! I arrived on a Wednesday for a Saturday evening wedding held at Hibiscus House Downtown B&B. My friend the entire B&B as she was holding her ceremony and reception at “The Hibi”. As I wandered for the first time onto the property I was immediately greeted and welcomed by Kenny. My key was waiting and I was escorted to a clean and spacious room. I unpacked and wandered into the main house looking for my friends. I was greeted by Andy the bartender who provided me with a status report of my friends. Hmm, how would he know… oh wait, of course… personalized service! When was the last time anyone experienced that?

Several hours later my friends and I gathered at the on site bar and were warmly greeted by the local patrons. We chatted with owners Randy and Kevin, lounged both inside and outside, and basically made ourselves at home. The following morning we were greeted by owner Missy, who had coffee waiting and food cooking. I couldn’t believe how delicious the food was and how clean the kitchen was. Just like home, except Missy cooks a better breakfast than I do!

Wedding day…crews (aka, the guys) left and right transforming the property; moving tables, hanging lights all with a smile and a laugh. Wedding night…the food could not have been more perfect. Catered by Lalanni, her hubby and a few other helping hands. We had nothing to worry about and could relax and enjoy the evening. The next day? Good morning, was everything ok last night? Is there anything else we can do for you? My friends and I are already planning our trip back!!!

• Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed 7 October 2008

Having picked this hotel from the Lonely Planet Guide, we were delighted with the standard - it was wonderful in every way. We stayed in the Banyan suite - a lounge, bathroom and lovely bedroom with a high queen size bed and gorgeous polished wooden floors. The staff at this hotel make you feel like a local, and part of their family - as welcome as an old relative visiting after a long time away. The breakfast is proper home cooked, great food, and as you eat in the dining room at the back of the house, you truly feel as if you've stepped back in time to an old southern country house - somewhere Scarlet O'Hara wouldn't have looked out of place! Andy, who runs the bar, makes you feel right at home, and can give you the low-down on what to do, where to eat, and make you some amazing cocktails in the process. As this is a bit of a locals bar, and they are all extremely friendly, you can start to feel like a local yourself after a few of Andy's drinks!! Don't even think about staying anywhere else when you visit West Palm Beach - you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2008

Hibiscus House Downtown,

This was a certificate that I had won at a silent auction, lost then found and lost again; and then found again! We managed to book the room for the two night stay and found that their website was very user friendly as well as easy to navigate. You know when your thinking about a Bed & Break fest your thought are in Key West or somewhere in North Carolina in the mountains, you are not really thinking of City Place in downtown West Palm Beach; we kept an open mind, we went just to get away from the house for a couple of days.

We arrive and was met by Andy the bartender; good to know Andy! Great bartender ; but an awsome person! We were also met by Ken who showed us to our room and the lay of the land! In the morning we met Deb who cook us a great breakfest; good luck with the new arrival!

The house is a beautiful historical home composed of to different homes, moved to the current location when the construction of City place began.

What I can say for sure is this, it began as an escape from our home, and it end with us finding a new home and friends. Our stay was awesome and I recommend to anyone for a getaway the Hibiscus House. We will return, even if it’s just to drop by and say hi!

Rgds
Carlos & Elizabeth

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 September 2008

The building, grounds and the rooms are beautiful. It is a turn of the century house with an added amenity of having a bar in the garden, which is frequented by local residents. It is like meeting friends for a drink in the backyard. The visit is like coming home after a long day of travel and work. While my room had a separate shower, the antique tub provided a relaxing soak.

Great food in City Center one block away and should you need anything from the store, Publix is located in the block between City Center and Hibiscus House.

I have been staying at this property for the last six year at least four times a year. I do enjoy the people, the food and the "home".

You will enjoy your stay.

Chris from Tallahassee

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 September 2008

Fabulous room, fabulous atmosphere, fabulous hosts, fabulous bartender... Loved everything about this wonderful place. Was not planning on staying in this area but as a result of a recommendation from a local bar, ended up here. Made my holiday.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near West Palm Beach
Hilton West Palm Beach
Hilton West Palm Beach
#3 of 34 in West Palm Beach
Hyatt Place West Palm Beach Downtown
Hyatt Place West Palm Beach Down...
#8 of 34 in West Palm Beach
Residence Inn West Palm Beach Downtown/CityPlace Area
Residence Inn West Palm Beach Do...
#11 of 34 in West Palm Beach
#13 of 34 in West Palm Beach
The Brazilian Court Hotel
The Brazilian Court Hotel
#5 of 10 in Palm Beach

Been to Palm Beach Hibiscus? Share your experiences!