“Less Than Comfortable”

Vacation Village at Bonaventure
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Weston
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Before our trip to Florida, I visited Vacation Village's website and had a look at their videos of the resorts at Weston, so when I opened the door to our one-bedroom unit (a B-unit, I think) in the Flamingo 1 building, I have to admit it was not quite what I was expecting. The unit was quite small and cramped, and having just checked out of a lovely, spacious two-bedroom unit at Silver Lake Resort in Orlando, this was a jagged little pill. We consoled ourselves with the fact that we would be there only two nights, and that we would be out shopping all day both days, so it was just a place to rest our heads at night.

The entire unit (furnishings, fittings, decor, etc.) was very dated. I have not seen one of those small-screen tube TV's in ages before Vacation Village at Bonaventure. I imagine if we were doing the timeshare preview, they would have demoed one of their better, more modern units, but there is no better way to sell your guests on your resort than to have them actually experience the comfort of staying in one. This is what Silver Lake Resort did and they got our vote and our membership.

Given my first Vacation Village experience, I do not feel inclined to return anytime soon, but I may give them another chance some time in the future, trying another one of their resorts and an A-unit next time. I am just wary about taking a chance on the quality of my family vacation; I prefer to book a resort where I am assured a certain standard of accommodation, rather than the hit or miss situation that Vacation Village seems to put me in.

3  Thank Camille B
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Vacation Village at Bonaventure, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Thank you taking the time to share your experience. We’re very disappointed to read that our resort did not meet all of your expectations. It is our goal to offer great vacations for our guests and we appreciate your comments as these observations can only help us to improve our performance. We hope you will consider choosing us again so that we may have another opportunity to prove that we are a great choice for lodging while visiting Weston.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

We checked in at 2:00am......Igor was very nice.....due to a family emergency prior to coming and not wanting to disappoint kids and cancel we came but my credit card did not have the funds available for the 3 deposits....Igor said if we pay the resort fee that would be fine...ok.....next day I go to front desk prepared to do so when I asked for the internet code....WIllie gave me the code without asking for monies due...this was day 2 of 5 day vacation......well on day 4....Willie locked out our room key...Not considering we had teenagers locked out without us.....who does that..I Had even noted on the checkin form I had teenagers with me.....WHO DOES THAT....lock you out of your room with your property inside over $100 deposit on day 4....WHO DOES THAT....I PAID THE $100 in cash......but in hindsight I should have departed...my sister works for Marriott and I always have family form on hand......worst customer service ever...Rooms are not that nice for that rude behavior........I hope this is not company policy.....I would never return..EVER.

3  Thank shonda b
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Vacation Village at Bonaventure, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Like most hotels and resorts Vacation Village at Bonaventure requires a credit card or cash deposit at check-in. The deposit is policy to cover any potential losses during a guest’s stay. Due to your late arrival and the situation, Igor allowed you to check in without the deposit but over the next few days we attempted to contact you several times and left messages stating that the deposit had to be paid. You never responded. We locked the unit, which is standard practice that many hoteliers adopt worldwide when there are monies due. We’re sorry that our resort and service did not live up to your expectations and we wish you a better travel experience on your next trip to Weston.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Inside is a bit dated, with tube TVs. But, the pools are nice, the location is great and the staff is friendly and courteous. We called maintenance because we thought the toaster was broke, they responded within 25 minutes with a maintenance man who pushed in the circuit breaker at the plug and another man brought a new toaster. We stayed in an "A" unit and did the lunch/time-share presentation just out of curiousity. The sales people were nice, but the salesmanship was obvious. Spouse found it interesting as she used to sell insurance and in retail sales.

Room Tip: The "A" room is what you want, like the others have said.
1  Thank LumpyJH07
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Vacation Village at Bonaventure, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Thank you for your recommendation. We’re happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our team members were attentive to your needs. We look forward to welcoming you back again the next time you’re in Weston.

Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

Thanks to Igor a night audit supervisor we were put on the upgrade list and got put into an A unit midweek on the 7th floor of the heron II building. Amazing. Jacuzzi tub, balcony, much better kitchen, flatscreen TV, double head shower, king bed. Great, clean, updated, fabulous. I would advise that if you can't get a 1 BR A unit don't bother with this place. See our 1st Room review (studio was really a 1 BR with a queen bed) THANK YOU, IGOR YOU SAVED OUR VACATION!

• Stayed: March 2014
4  Thank AliceRidgway
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Vacation Village at Bonaventure, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Thank you sharing your review with us. The resort features A&B one-bedroom suites that are purchased together by our timeshare owners. The two suites have individual locks but are joined together by a common foyer. This unique combination is very popular with owners because it offers maximum privacy and security for large families. Your review doesn’t state what type of accommodations you reserved, but our suites can be exchanged separately when available. Although we will offer a free upgrade when available, we suggest that guests reserve the larger A unit that has a fully appointed kitchen, Jacuzzi, and balcony if those amenities are desired. We’re happy to know that Igor was able to grant your request for an upgrade during your stay and that you enjoyed the rest of your vacation. Thank you again for sharing your comments and we hope to share our hospitality with you again.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

We came on an exchange for a studio. We arrived late and got a B unit. The compact florescent bulbs took a while to come on so the room felt like a cave (6th floor). Our neighbors were pro fb candidates and LOUD. The window....singular had no screen. The room had all the supplies you'd expect. Once we unplugged our cable and used our TV for white noise we could sleep with earplugs. Apart from the boys, the property was quiet.

We dreaded coming back after our day trips until Igor put us on the upgrade list and we were able to move to an A unit!!! See 2nd room review.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank AliceRidgway

Thank you sharing your review with us. The resort features A&B one-bedroom suites that are purchased together by our timeshare owners. The two suites have individual locks but are joined together by a common foyer. This unique combination is very popular with owners because it offers maximum privacy and security for large families. Your review doesn’t state what type of accommodations you reserved, but our suites can be exchanged separately when available. Although we will offer a free upgrade when available, we suggest that guests reserve the larger A unit that has a fully appointed kitchen and balcony if those amenities are desired. We’re happy to know that our team was able to grant your request for an upgrade during your stay and that you enjoyed the rest of your vacation. Thank you again for sharing your comments and we hope to share our hospitality with you again.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

We booked an A and B unit together. Just the B unit would have been too small and quite frankly a bit depressing. (Always take an A unit with balcony.) The staff was very friendly when we checked in, though it was a bit hard to find where we were going to stay (Heron I) The combination of 2 units worked perfectly for us and we really enjoyed staying there. Lovely warm pool, which both the kids and adults liked. Close to shops and restaurants, though you need a car.

All in all we had a really nice time. I don't know what people are complaining about. It might not be a 5-star, room-service with butler- Place, but it is clean and very nice. Palm trees galore, flowers everywhere and they really do their best to make it look really nice outside.

I would recommend it to others.. We had no problem with the "timeshare-thing", but if you just politely say "No thanks" I don't Think there would be any problems.

Room Tip: We really liked the rooms we had in Heron I, but if you want a light room with a balcony, you need t...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Thank you so much for your great review! There is no bigger compliment we can receive than knowing that our guests would recommend Vacation Village at Bonaventure to their family and friends. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with others on tripadvisor and we hope to share our hospitality with you again soon.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

My fiancée and I spent 4 nights at Sandpiper II and we were very disappointed. First, the room was not cleaned properly before our check-in. There was popcorn in the made bed and on the bedroom floor. There was a fresh blood stain on a pillow case and dirt on folded towels. The dishes and silverware was also dirty. We called management late on check-in who was prompt at giving us fresh sheets and bedding to get through the night. The housekeeper said that someone would be back by 9 am to thoroughly clean the room. They arrived at 2:30 pm. They did a great job disinfecting the room. However, we did get bitten up in bed each night. Nevertheless, the room was a nice suite with a large tub. It had a large balcony with table and chairs that looked out over the parking lot. It was below average accommodations. And dirty. I will not recommend it and stay again.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank rgbdo

Thank you for your review and please accept our apologies for not living up to your expectations. We certainly don’t expect guests to have an unclean room as we usually receive high marks on our housekeeping. We’re sorry that we didn’t address the housekeeping issue that morning as promised. The resort had a water leak in one of the buildings that affected several rooms and our housekeeping team was called to assist with several guests that had to be moved. We’re thankful though that when a member of our team did arrive that afternoon you were happy with the service. Unfortunately no hotel or resort is immune to a bed bug infestation but it is a rare occurrence at the resort. We wish you had reported your concerns so we could have responded to the issue. We’re not professionals in the pest control industry and do not assume an infestation is present until verified by a licensed exterminator. We take pride in our property and when we fall short, we share your disappointment. We regret that now you have such a negative impression of us and we hope you will return and allow us another opportunity to deliver the type of vacation experience that you and others travelers expect of us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Weston
Vacation Village at Weston
Comfort Suites Weston  - Sawgrass Mills South
Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Weston
Doubletree by Hilton Sunrise - Sawgrass Mills
Towneplace Suites Fort Lauderdale Weston
La Quinta Inn & Suites Sunrise Sawgrass Mills

Been to Vacation Village at Bonaventure? Share your experiences!