“good if you avoid certain hazards”

Vacation Village at Weston
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Weston
ghent, ny
“good if you avoid certain hazards”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Reviews of this place were so scary that i nearly cancelled the trip....glad i didn't. our "B" unit on the 5th floor of the "Ibis" building (the main building - where the pool and deli are located) was more that adequate for 2 adults. The furnishings were very nice, bright and comfortable...The kitchenette has full size fridge...but no oven or dishwasher....but otherwise everything you're likely to need...again for 2 people not a problem. Flat screen tv's in bedroom and living room...tiled floor with area rug in living room...every area seem very, very clean. I loved the little balcony and great view of the pool area and everglades and in the distance at night you can see the lights of Ft. Lauderdale...very nice view indeed. Sleep quality was surprisingly good considering the proximity of highway (rt 75 - alligator alley).

The overall resort is very nicely landscaped and maintained. Saw lots of workers everyday doing new plantings and cleaning, watering, etc.

Check-in was easy and very friendly. However, when you are referred to the "guest services" desk to get your parking permit (as other reviewers have suggested,) I strongly recommend you decline the offers of "free breakfast" and other seemingly good offers from the timeshare sales folks. I speak from experience of many years - and as a happy timeshare owner at Wyndham - these are high pressure sales...not worth the time no matter what they seem to offer. It can ruin a nice vacation.

My only other complaints about this resort are: Although the pool is very nice it is on the small side and sometimes it can be impossible to find a chair or lounge. There is no pool bar or any other bar for that matter. The deli and general store are quite small and have very limited hours. Although the management asserts that this is a "gold level" RCI resort...i cannot hold a candle to such FL timeshare resorts as Bonnet Creek and Sheraton Vistana, for example.

Overall, we were very pleasantly surprized by the quality of our stay....especially given the dreadful experiences of other reviewers. But they should not be dismissed or ignored! This is truly a tale of two resorts and we had the unique experience of seeing both. My sister-in-law and her husband had booked a Flamingo "B" unit at the nearby sister vacation village resort at "Bonaventure" during that same week...they left after 2 nights! There building resembled a concrete warehouse rather than a condo...except for one small dirty window in the bedroom there was no natural light whatsoever....no balcony....antique time tv's.....furnishings dated and dirty....the pool was a joke...hallways, elevators dirty and smelly. They tried to move to another building - like ours - but to no avail.

So there seems to be no middle ground here....either you get the nice experience of VV Weston or the awful experience of VV Bonaventure... Both managed and owned by the same co. My humble advice: tear down Bonaventure.... you will avoid all the negative reviews and more importantly, avoid disappointing so many folks who came to Vacation Villages for a well deserved vacation!

Room Tip: all "B" units are not equal....the units in the "Ibis" units are very nice and d...
1 Thank brady1434
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Vacation Village at Weston, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Thank you for your positive review. We’re happy that you were pleasantly surprised by our resort and services while on vacation. Unfortunately no one resort can be everything to everyone, but we do try to make all of our guests happy at Vacation Village at Weston. Most of the time we’re quite successful and guests return to vacation with us again. As a happy timeshare owner yourself, you know the benefits that owners receive. We offer our guests incentives in exchange for their time to learn about the benefits of our timeshare ownership program. We agree that our waterfall pool is quite popular, especially during winter months of travel. However guests can utilize one of the other six pools available at our properties in Weston. Bonaventure Resort has continuously been awarded a Silver Crown Status with RCI since 2001. The RCI Silver Crown Resort award designates resorts that have met or exceeded specific standards in the areas of unit housekeeping, resort maintenance, unit maintenance, resort hospitality and check-in/check-out procedures. Again we are thankful that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to share our hospitality with you in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
New Bedford, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We have stayed at this resort with our family and have had many great vacations. The front desk and Liz the concierge have always been there for any assistance. Mr Bushy has worked the cookout and has always inquired about our well-being and satisfaction.

I find this to be a well run operation and think management is doing a superb job of keeping people happy.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Vacation Village at Weston, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thank you for the 5-star recommendation! There is no better compliment we can receive than knowing that our guests entrust us with their vacations time after time. We’re truly blessed with a staff that works hard to provide great service and great resort amenities in a beautiful tropical location. We’re happy that you enjoyed your time with us at Vacation Village at Weston and we look forward to your return.
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Looking for a relaxing holiday resort? The location and the surroundings certainly fit the bill, but not the welcome from the so called Guest Services desk. The guest services desk of the hotel was the most obvious weakness of our stay at the hotel. Over promising and under delivering is a mild way of expressing the bad service experience. Do not assume that you will be able to sort things out easily or hassle-free. Prior to our arrival, we received several e-mails from the guest services desk asking for input to tailoring a welcome package. We eventually replied to the many requests with a polite e-mail asking for special considerations for a family travelling with a toddler. During the first few days it however became apparent that our requests had been totally ignored as the guest services desk only focused on pushing time-share sales efforts.

We were offered a welcome breakfast for a symbolic $20 deposit in combination with a quick visit to a neighbouring resort. When the breakfast offer turned out to be a badly disguised sales event, cancelling the whole thing became an unproportionately big thing. The trigger to cancel for us came when we went for the breakfast to the visitor centre but instead of a warm welcome and a nice breakfast as promised, we met a sales representative who suggested we start the morning with a car drive, instead of breakfast. This was not a good idea at 9am for a jet-lagged family with a toddler and a pregnant mother. We managed to cancel the whole thing and were reluctantly told to revert back to the guest services desk for a refund.

And that was easier said than done. It became clear that the hotel reception and the guest services desk are two different organisations with limited information flow between the two inter-connected front desks ... On our third or fourth attempt we actually found someone at the guest services desk at the hotel reception. The response was uncooperative and cold from Aileen & co at the front desk as they refused to refund our deposit for the cancelled breakfast claiming that they were not authorised to do so and simply continued to dwell on why the breakfast had been cancelled. After a phone consultation with Miguel, the supervisor, our case had still not moved an inch forward. As we are about to check out tomorrow, we still haven't received a refund or an apology or even an acceptable explanation. This incident over a symbolic $20 has left a bad taste of the entire stay and our advice to future guests is to say "no thank you" to the guest service desk's offers and enjoy a more hassle-free vacation. Those $20 would be much better spent on any local charity where the people at the Publix supermarket next door are more than happy to assist.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SCMtravellers
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We apologize for the issues that occurred with our Guest Services Department. This department is responsible for providing information only on local attractions and for scheduling appointments for guests who wish to attend a resort presentation. Because we are a timeshare property, we offer guests incentives such as meals and gift cards in exchange for their time to preview the resort and its amenities. The chosen incentive and requirements involved are noted on the deposit receipt that guests receive when the appointment is scheduled. We require the deposit so that we may ensure that guests who are truly interested in attending will only sign up. The breakfast incentive that you scheduled required a $20 deposit to reserve the appointment. Our goal is to provide an outstanding experience for every guest that chooses to stay with us. Although timeshare may not be an option for you, we hope that you will consider staying with us again as a guest so that we may have a chance to exceed your expectations in the future.
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We booked through a marketing company , promoting this time share in exchange for 2 nights there and a Bahamas Celebration cruise . We were contantly kept in the dark about confirmation of details and of course nothing was as promised . Glad that I am a seasoned traveller and can stick up for myself or this part of the holiday would have been disaster.

After paying to "upgrade" to this place with my mate who is disabled and in a wheelchair , they initally tried to put us in a B unit - DO NOT ACCEPT A B UNIT ON CHECK IN...Horrible ,small , old , as others have said one window in the tiny bedroom and 14 " old tv....

We did not even unpack and with a large complaint they moved us to a A unit - MUCH better , with a balcony , full kitchen , whirplpool bath and much nicer buidling - Heron 1...over 2 hours wasted on on this.

I attended the timeshare presentation which it clearly stated on my slip 2 hours -LOL.. You would be lucky to get out in under 4 unless you ended up irritated like I did , in which case they got me out in 3+...The actual tour was fine but be prepared when you get back to the hard sell. My hard seller was a woman named Taria , who turned cranky quite quickly when it was clear I was not happy ,and not interested in investing here . I let her know my complaints about the resort , the untruths ect... and she kept asking me if I was done speaking yet....are you done , are you done ?

She proceeded on a diatribe about why I was wrong and that everything that went wrong was through their marketing company , not to do with the timeshare - She asked the young man that gave me the tour "was she like this the entire time" and gave me a disgusted look. When she returned she threatened that they would not stamp my boarding pass for the cruise ...that is when I really got quite angry and she finally decided it was best to "get this over with "(her words)

I would never go there again and if you are going to go for the slick time share presentation be prepared ... I met quite a few people on the cruise that had similar experiences and a elderly couple who said they were there for 6 hours with more pressure being put on them to buy ...of course they tell you at the beginning they would never do that - BS !!

As you can see by the managements replies here , they seem to want to do better -- well get to it and stop putting people in the B units until you can upgrade them or better yet do away with them.

They have a piece of swamp land for sale in Florida if anyone is interested.

Room Tip: Get a A unit only and steer far clear of the B units - Inspect room before unpacking !
3 Thank kif8skip
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Vacation Village at Weston, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Thank you for your review. We’re sorry that you felt misled by the travel company that made your reservations. Though we can’t comment on the terms and conditions of your agreement with them we do regret that this experience has left you disappointed in us. The discounted travel package you purchased included B unit accommodations. Our timeshare owners normally purchase our A & B suites together, but as a gesture of goodwill we upgraded your reservations and offered a complimentary A suite. Like any other hotel or resort we recommend renters pay the full rate for an A suite if larger accommodations with more amenities are desired. We realize the prospect of purchasing timeshare is a big decision and that is why we try to take as much time as we can to present all the benefits of vacation ownership. As in any sales environment, a sales person will try to overcome objectives. Many guests choose our resort because of it’s location within the famous South Florida Spa, Tennis and Golf Community of Weston. Our condominium-style resort offers a multitude of amenities with maximum privacy for guests. Within minutes of Fort Lauderdale’s famed beaches and awe-inspiring Everglades, the resort has been the home to many satisfied guests through the years and we are proud of the services we offer. We regret that we couldn’t provide you with the same experience that so many other guests have shared with us and we wish you better travels in the future.
West Milford, New Jersey
Reviewed 25 March 2014

While we were staying at this resort, I mulled over what rating I would give. There were some good things, and several negative things we experienced while there. After I arrived home it was easy.

This is our second time at Vacation Village. We like Weston, it is a quiet city away from the busyness of Ft. Lauderdale and Miami; very clean and pleasant to take long walks or bike ride. The 1st time we stayed at this resort, we had the “B” unit (see review…wasn’t happy), but thought if we made sure we got the “A” unit we would be satisfied. Yes, there is a HUGE difference between the two units. The ”A” unit is about twice the size in all aspects; balcony, a full kitchen (with a full size stove- not a hot plate, and dishwasher), spacious living room, Jacuzzi in bedroom. No complaints at all with the room.

In my last review two years ago, what I had complained about the lack of lounge chairs by the pool. Well, nothing has changed. If you do not get down to the pool by 8:30 am, ALL the lounge chairs are taken! Perhaps to some this is not a big deal, but when on vacation we like to get away from the stress of everyday living….we want to relax; stay up late, sleep in and leisurely have our coffee/breakfast, maybe go for a walk, and then go to the pool. Who wants to jump out of bed and fretfully hurry downstairs to the pool to hopefully claim a spot every single morning? If there were other options I wouldn’t mind, such as another pool or even the beach, but there are none. The nearest beach is over 15 miles away.

Having worked in tourism and the field of customer service for many years, I tend to focus on customer service. In my opinion, the staff apparently is not happy working there. No one, except for the late night security guard and perhaps the Activities Director, ever went out of their way to smile, say good morning or hello, except to lure you into their timeshare speech. Walking past the staff (including the sales people), they would look the other way, never acknowledging your existence. Another annoyance was that I had called a week in advance to request a room on a higher floor with a resort/pool view, as I knew the set up of the buildings. When we checked in, we got the second floor – parking lot view. No attempt to change the room, even if we waited. The parking lot is right in front of the building, so you have the pleasure of looking out at a sea of cars when you sit on your balcony having your morning coffee. Not very scenic or relaxing.

Now these things would have made this a 3 Star resort in my opinion, but after getting home and realizing an item was missing, has dropped this resort to a “DO NOT RETURN”. Bear in mind they only have maid service once a week, so no one is supposed to be coming into the room at different times as in other reports I have been to. On the day the maid was scheduled to come, I made sure to lock up my iPad and money, never giving the smaller things a second thought. I left my mobile device charger on the table, (an $80.00 item I received for Christmas) and never missed it until I was unpacking at home. I called the resort the next day, and received an email from the Lost & Found Department. Disappointed and somewhat annoyed, I emailed the Lost and Found Department and the resort management with my concerns, and have not heard anything back since.

My advice to anyone considering staying at this resort:
- Do not take the “B” unit (believe me, you will feel gypped after seeing the larger units)
- Be sure to get to bed early, so you can get to the pool at the crack of dawn in order to get a chair.
- Lock EVERYTHING of value up in the tiny safe they provide (especially if you are staying on the second floor of the Ibus building)
- And above all, do not buy into this resort! There are so many other places that are nicer; better facilities, friendlier staff, better customer service!

If the Management has the impudence to respond back to my review, acting like they care with their canned response, please bear in mind they did not have the courtesy to privately respond back to my email last week.

4 Thank Vamonos-LetsGo
Thank you for sharing your experience with us in detail and we apologize that we failed to meet all of your expectations during your stay. We’re sorry that you had an issue finding a lounge chair available at one of our pools. Weston city code and ordinances only allow a certain amount of chairs at each pool. There are actually other options available, as our Weston properties feature six other pools that guests can use. We’re disappointed to read about the experience you had with our staff. Normally we receive high marks on our hospitality and we apologize that we didn’t provide you with the same friendly customer service that so many of our other guests have had. Special requests like room views and floor levels are accepted prior to arrival. The resort will make every effort to honor all requests if available but unit assignments are on a first-come first served basis with no guarantees. We are sorry that your mobile device charger wasn’t found after you checked out. We are not responsible for anything left unsecured in the units so to err on the side of caution we encourage all of our guests to use the safe provided during their stay to secure their valuables. After investigating your review we determined that we did follow up on your claim via email, but we have no record of any correspondence from you thereafter to our resort management. Guests can email the resort’s management team 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at vacvillages@dmresorts.com. We regret that you now have a negative impression of our service and have decided not to return. We hope this experience will not deter you from visiting the lovely city of Weston and we wish you a better travel experience on your next vacation.
Elgin, Illinois
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Reviews are great aren't they? They allow us, the consumer, to give an accurate and fair opinion about our experience using a product or service. It also allows us to warn others before coming to such establishment, what to expect from our point of view. We were guests at Vacation Village on our parents timeshare club. Weston is a GREAT location. 20 mins from beaches, Ft. Lauderdale and plenty of surrounding attractions.

Vacation Village was a bit hard to find since we arrived at night. The whole strip is full of resort condos so make sure you know where you're going. I knew something was fishy once we arrived and the check in person handed us off to a "vip rep" to give us our parking pass for the property. We were told they wanted to give us "complimentary" breakfast for $20. (how is that complimentary?) Anyway, in exchange for taking a survey and viewing a model we would get a gift card which would make up for the difference. We took it, seeing that we wouldn't mind the free gift and breakfast. The pitch wasn't horrible and the guy who took us around was friendly and no pressure. However we did spend a total of 3 hours with him, so we kind of felt held hostage.

As for the rest of Vacation Village, the room was nice, great view of sunsets. We had a B unit with a small corner balcony. TV was weak sauce. Our television was a tube television from 1990. We bought a frozen pizza to cook too, but come to find out our unit had no stove! The pool was the nicest part of the resort and was large enough for kids and adults to keep a distance. Hot tub was nice too. Overall, the crowd was mostly 50+ so if you're wanting a younger scene, its not here. But if you want a relaxing, peace and quiet trip like we did. It was PERFECT. Despite the average rating, I would return to Vacation Village and I would recommend them to others as well.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Vacation Village at Weston, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience. We are disappointed that we didn’t meet all of your expectations but are thankful that overall you enjoyed your stay and would return. We regret that the breakfast survey program wasn’t what you were expecting. Many guests do participate and learn about the benefits of our vacation ownership program and return to stay with us again as owners. We are constantly undergoing renovation and refurbishment projects at the resort. This year we are continuing to purchase more new flat panel televisions, mattresses and box springs, new appliance packages as needed, and area rugs for some of the units. Our B units feature a partial kitchen without a stove. If you return to the resort (and we sincerely hope you do.) we recommend that you reserve our A unit, which features full kitchen amenities along with a Jacuzzi Tub, living room, and dining area. Again thank you for taking the time to share and we hope we may have another chance to exceed your lodging expectations the next time you are in Weston.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Just came back from a week at Weston Village. Was pleasantly surprised after reading some of the reviews.

Had an A unit in the Ibis building, facing the pool. Was a pleasant setting. Room was simply but adequately furnished, with good quantity of plates, utensils etc and flat screen TV's (they seem to be updating old TV's in other rooms while we were there). Room was clean. We gave our young kids the bedroom to get them to sleep earlier (bed was very soft - a bit soft for folks with bad backs). Surprisingly, the sofa bed was reasonably comfortable.

Had an easy check in (we arrived late in the day). When I mentioned that it was late and that we hadn't had dinner yet they skipped the sign up for the sales pitch completely (much appreciated!).

We did have an issue with the toilet being blocked upon first use. While it is not a pleasant issue to have to deal with I was impressed at how quickly staff responded to our call and they satisfactorily resolved the problem. I think this reassured me that they were taking care of folks and that we would have a good stay.

With young kids, the Weston pool was great. While there were quite a few people hanging around the pool all day it was generally snowbirds who were in and out of the pool relatively quickly, so it didn't feel too crowded. My kids loved having a lot of space in the pool to themselves. We spent a couple of days there just hanging out.

Other activities nearby - Science/discovery centre and IMAX in Fort Lauderdale was great on a weekday. Went to the John Pennekamp State park (great glass bottom boat trip over coral reef, kayaking etc) and spent a couple of days at the beach (John U Lloyd state park was good - quiet, except for being near the airport flight path).

Overall, a very good, relaxing trip. Would go back to this resort again. Felt we got a good exchange price for a reasonable resort with pleasant staff, activities and a good pool.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view (Ibis building is good)
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank travelling g
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Vacation Village at Weston, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Thank you for your recommendation. We’re happy to know that you were pleasantly surprised by our resort and services while on vacation. Unfortunately no one resort can be everything to everyone, but we do try to make all of our guests happy here at Vacation Village at Weston. Most of the time we’re quite successful and our guests return to vacation with us again and again. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and we hope to welcome you back to Weston in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Weston
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
Comfort Suites Weston  - Sawgrass Mills South
Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Weston
Doubletree by Hilton Sunrise - Sawgrass Mills
Towneplace Suites Fort Lauderdale Weston
La Quinta Inn & Suites Sunrise

Been to Vacation Village at Weston? Share your experiences!