“Casual vacation” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Weston
Scotch Plains, New Jersey
“Casual vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

This place is great to stay if you have kids. The pools are great, there are some activities throughout the resort. I like that it's not just a hotel but a little apartment. Publix is nearby, it's located not far from the highway so it's in a great location to reach Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Naples. Very chill place.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Vacation Village at Weston, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you for your recommendation! Vacation Village at Weston is a favorite vacation destination for families, couples and singles alike due to our convenient location to South Florida Attractions, our oversized rooms, and awesome staff. We’re thankful that you appreciated the value we offer and we hope we can welcome you back on your next trip to Weston.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Douglasville, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

I have owned at this resort for about 10 years. Some years I have used my week(s) and sometimes I bank, exchange or rent them. I have always been pretty happy with my experience so this year when I could not rent the weeks and with many banked (I work a lot and use the little vacation time I have to see family usually) I decided to come and stay. I bragged on this place to my new fiancé who had never been. I have made recommendations and honestly told people I tried to rent to how much I enjoyed it here.

Let me just say A LOT has changed since I was here last (about 4 yrs ago).

On the drive here I pulled up this report and starting reading what others had said. I was worried b/c the resent reports were not good. I did not want to be embarrassed after telling the fiancé how nice it was. I figured I would find out for myself soon enough.

The Pros:
We had several stops along the drive from GA to FL which through our travel time off a bit and we arrived very early. Check in is at 4pm and we arrived at 10:30am. The staff was super nice about it and tried to find open/clean rooms so we didn't have to wait. They were very friendly.

The Cons:
I dragged my feet on if we wanted to use A and B or just A unit and waiting to the last minute to tell RCI I only wanted to use A. When I got here the resort made us use A and B even though I had called RCI and told them to bank B.

Because we now had another unit and there were just two of us, we called friends who live here and offered them to come stay so we could hang out. This necessitated dogs staying too for a $125 fee, which was OK, but they moved us to a unit in BFE away from the cool pool with the waterfall, away from where all the activities are, pretty much away from everything else. This unit smells bad. It has the oldest furniture I have ever seen since staying on property and there were hairs (not mine) in the Jacuzzi tub!!!

When we realized we would have animals coming to stay we went back and told the staff we needed a pet friendly room. They changed our building from one very close to all the activities and I immediately was unhappy about this. I let them know right away I was displeased about the distance to the main pool and my fiancé even asked if we were gonna get a crappier room b/c of the dogs in which case we were told no but DID. I have stayed here many times before and this is by far the worst room. My whole vision for the vacation at that point was altered and I was unhappy. The manager told my fiancé due to renovations of the closer buildings this was the best he could do at this time but since check in is Friday, Sat, and Sunday something might come available as they cleaned and he would let me know. Once we saw the crappy smelly room I immediately called to reiterate to Manager David I was unhappy with the room and confirm I was to be called once something else was available.

We didn't unpack since we expected to be moved, but we did bring our stuff out of the car. During these trips I noticed there was another dog in the unit barking. Upon returning to the room there was a missed call from the staff asking us to control our barking dog. Seriously?!?!?

It is the evening of Day 2 and David has yet to save me from the smelly, 1980's Golden Girls unit in BFE of the property. His parting words to my fiancé were "try not to let it ruin your vacation" and it hasn't because we have done a host of other activities since being here with friends and it has rained both days so my pool activities would have been canceled anyway, however, the rest of the trip is yet to be determined. Tomorrow is the "owners presentation" and at $15K to buy and $850 per year plus RCI fees to exchange I should be able to stay in the building/room I want/expect. I paid the pet non refundable pet fee. I paid the timeshare off in a month. I have never been late on my yearly taxes and maintenance. So why am I forced to be in the "low income housing unit" of a room? I expect more for what I pay.

Oh, and the $25 mandatory fee is something that is new. They say it is for all of these services, however, they did all the services before and didn't charge the fee so really, there is no upgrade there.

In conclusion, I really don't mind paying for things that are quality, but this unit is disgusting. I would like to attend the meeting for people who haven't bought yet and show them my rooms as part of their "tour". Apparently, once they have your money, THIS is were they shove the owners. In fact, perhaps I will take pictures and mosey over to the big pool with them tomorrow and as I meet people who haven't bought yet show them what they are "in for" once they own for 10 years like myself. :(

Oh, and if the person who writes the nice little replies would like to speak to me about how you can make this trip better for me, my last name is Whelpley. Ask Manager David for my cell number or unit number. We are still waiting for his call...

Room Tip: Don't buy a timeshare and I guess they will give you the nicer unit to stay in :/
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing your experience. We investigated your review and found that the Resort was able to remedy these issues to your satisfaction. We appreciate that you wrote a positive follow up tripadvisor review of Vacation Village at Weston and that you are enjoying your vacation with us. Thank you for being a Vacation Village Resorts owner and we look forward to sharing our hospitality with you at your home resort in Weston for years to come.
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

The only reason we booked here without much research was because we were meeting a friend and his family whom already booked here. Huge mistake...

We had a one bedroom suite with full kitchen and living room. The rooms were fairly clean but the furnishings were very dated. Staff is pleasant but we didnt feel like there was alot of staff on the property like you would generally see in and around a hotel... ie:

> there is no hotel lobby, there is only a main reception building for check-in/check-out.
> the pool didnt have an attendant or a lifeguard, no snack bar for snacks or beverages.. no towels...

Not a big deal compared to the traumatizing ordeal we had to endure on the last day of our trip - when we planned on taking advantage of the last hours we had remaining in FL. Not going into major details, we werent manipulated or coerced, but we were STRAIGHT UP LIED TO - and got tricked into a timeshare survey where we were driven off-site to view a timeshare.

IT'S NOT WORTH IT. Whatever they promise you (specially the free breakfast, which was barely edible) - SAY NO and STAY AWAY! If you must stay here, just do everything you can to AVOID the timeshare survey NO MATTER WHAT THEY PROMISE YOU! I cant stress enough how it is all lies, and NOT WORTH YOUR TIME!!! These people have no conscience and held us captive in every sense of the word... We were corralled from one sales person to the next (the fourth and last one was "introduced" as a customer service representative who tried to continue the sales pitch!!) - while they lied to us each time that it was the last step before we would be driven back to our hotel...

Suffice it to say - it totally ruined the last morning we had planned on spending time alone... We would never return or would ever recommend to anybody, not even our worse enemy.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Donna K
Thank you for your feedback on our resort. We’re sorry that you were disappointed with your accommodations and our services. Our pools have pool attendants. We also have a poolside smoothie bar as well as a deli and tropical gift shop that feature various snacks and beverages. Pool towels are provided in the guest rooms. Since we are a timeshare property, we offer guests various incentives to attend a survey presentation. This presentation is not mandatory, so a deposit is required to ensure that only guests who are truly interested in attending will sign up. The incentive and the attendance requirements are noted on the deposit receipt. We regret that you have decided not to return to our resort and we wish you a more enjoyable travel experience in the future.
Redding, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

The room and breakfast were wonderful, they only thing holding me back from higher rating is the fact that the pool was getting resurfaced and we pick hotels based on pool availability for the kids. Otherwise it was great.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your recommendation of Vacation Village at Weston. We’re constantly improving our services and amenities at the resort and we apologize that one our renovation projects left you disappointed. We’re thankful that you did enjoy all the other aspects of your vacation with us and we hope to share our hospitality with your family again in the future.
Weston, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

Today I was visiting with my grandparents who I have not seen in about six years at the Weston, fl location. They had a suite with two adjoining rooms. My two little sisters who are nine and ten years old were also accompanying us. I am eight months pregnant. The previous night it had been storming and the rain water played a part on the temperature of the hot tub so I was in luck. It seemed to be at the pools temperature but with jets. We all four got into the hot tub and began visiting. Ten minutes later we were approached by a man with a pool net asking if I was pregnant, when I replied yes he told me that I needed to be careful being in the hot tub. I thanked him for his concern and I explained to him that I knew my body and my limits in any situation. Five minutes passed and he approached again, this time reading the caution sign out loud and making not only my family but the people around me very uncomfortable. I explained to him that I am having a very regular pregnancy with no complications and although I appreciate his concern, it's none of his business and he was starting to worry my little sisters. He then went to badger my elderly grandmother telling her I was going to miscarry and she needed to tell me to get out. He finally left, but only to get the front desk manager and another manager, both women. They came over to me and told me that I was breaking their policy and that I needed to get out of the hot tub. I felt embarrassed and victimized. Especially because the water was no warmer than the pool water. They didn't leave me alone until my sisters were both in tears because they thought I was trying to harm my baby!!! Everyone in the hot tub felt very uncomfortable and exited the hot tub as well as myself. This scene was uncalled for and I am sure it is not allowed legally. I was left feeling hurt and embarrassed the rest of my time at the pool area. I also had to explain to my little sisters that everything is fine with the baby and that he did not pass away. They overheard the first pool attendant talking to my grandmother. I am disgusted by this whole event.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank User1218
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We apologize that you felt embarrassed and victimized but the involvement from the staff was simply out of concern for you and from a liability standpoint for the Resort and company. Our pool attendants are there to enforce the rules and regulations pertaining to the State of Florida Health Department. Signage of these rules and regulations are visible within four feet of the hot tub. We regret that this incident has left a negative impression of our services with you. We hope that you will consider our resort for your future travel needs so that we may have another opportunity to exceed all of your expectations.
Salem, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

We had a one bedroom condo with a full kitchen and jetted tub. The room was clean but the furnishings were very dated. The bed was comfortable and the outside patio was nice. The pool was beautiful, clean and the perfect temperature. We really enjoyed the pool! We really have no complaints about our room, other than it being dated.

We have one major complaint about this hotel, though...the timeshare sales personel! The check in process for this hotel was quick and went smoothly UNTIL we were sent to another desk in the reception area to get a permit for parking our car on the property. Once we got to this other desk we were told that there was an appreciation meal (breakfast, lunch or dinner - your choice) for timeshare/RCI owners and that if we would tour a remodelled property and complete a survey on the property we would be given a gift, such as a gift card, parasailling, snorkeling, etc... Being a bit naive, we went ahead and signed up thinking it would only take an hour or so. The only day we had free to do this was on my husband's 50th birthday, but he wanted to do it so we gave them the $20 to hold our reservation (refundable after the meal). We chose the lunch buffet. THIS WAS ALL LIES AND MANIPULATION!! After viewing the property we had agreed to do the survey on, they took us to another area and started in with the sales pitch. MANY, MANY times we told them that it was my husband's birthday and we wanted to go do some fun things in celebration... we're not interested in buying anything as we already own a timeshare and that we had never been informed that there would be a lengthy sales presentation. 3 1/2 HOURS later, yes 3 1/2 HOURS later they finally returned our $20 and gave us our "gift". It was an absolutely horrible way to spend my husband's 50th birthday and they didn't care whatsoever! We were there from 12:30 to 4:00. We would have just walked out, but there was no way we were letting them keep our $20! Not much $$, I know, but we were not going to pay them for ruining our day. They knew that the reason we were even in Florida was for my husband's birthday! These are very manipulative, uncaring people.
Beware of the sales people if you plan to stay at this hotel! They can ruin your entire stay!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank penneb
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Vacation Village at Weston, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience. We are sorry that we didn’t meet your expectations during your vacation. Our resort is a timeshare property and we offer guests the opportunity to attend a presentation. Guests may join us for breakfast or lunch, and review the resort so that they may learn about our property and exclusive services. The presentation isn’t mandatory but many choose to go and find their time well spent learning about the benefits of timeshare. A deposit is required to reserve this appointment and the terms for attendance written on the receipt that guests acknowledge. We always strive to provide a great vacation experience and most of the time we’re successful. Although ownership at our resort may not be a viable option for you, we hope that we may be able to welcome you back to Weston as a guest in the future.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

My husband recently spent five days at the Weston to celebrate our 42nd anniversary. We had a one bedroom condo and although it was dated it was very clean, spacious and efficient. The grounds were very well groomed and the pool area was inviting. The staff was very friendly, but the salesmen were overly anxious to make a sale, plenty of parking. The location was a approximately 25 minutes from downtown Fort Lauderdale and the beach. We visited Las Olas' restaurants and shops, Hard Rock Casino, AirBoat Eco at Sawgrass Recreation Park were all very entertaining and a must! Deerfield Beach area was wonderful, little far but worth it. My only disappointment was the evening cruise on the Serenity Yacht Charter, they advertise a dinner cruise - dinner was horrible - you could tell that it was made by one of the crew members.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MaryFrances C
Thank you for sharing your recommendation of Vacation Village at Weston. We are honored that you chose our resort for such an important milestone in your life. Congratulations on your 42nd anniversary, and hopefully you’ll consider our hospitality again for next year’s celebration!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Weston
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
Comfort Suites Weston  - Sawgrass Mills South
Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Weston
Towneplace Suites Fort Lauderdale Weston
Doubletree by Hilton Sunrise - Sawgrass Mills
La Quinta Inn & Suites Sunrise

Been to Vacation Village at Weston? Share your experiences!