“Quiet mediocre 3.5 star resort”

Bonaventure Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Weston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Stayed here Late February for one week with my wife. Booked this through hotwire $125 per night. No meal plan. NOTE> BEWARE OF HIDDEN RESORT FEES which is in the fine print of hotwire and this hotel. I tried to contest it, but they would not waive the fee.
Folks....this is an out and out cash grab. What does that "resort fee" cover? ......
parking
use of pool
towels
free internet.....and that's about it....items that any normal hotel covers automatically in this
region.
Further the free parking is a frustration as you should know this hotel is used for many conventions and meetings, so be prepared to park far away from your room at times.
The resort rooms are spread out over a very , very large area. almost 2 or more football fields.
The best rooms are the ones with a partial view of the lake. On the other side of the lake is a closed down golf course. There is a path to walk around the resort and golf course. Once is enough....
There is one large L shaped heated pool with salt water chlorination. There is a water fall
as well. There is also a Tiki bar by the pool where you an buy drinks or order a light lunch or snack. Average food fare in my opinion. Nothing outstanding. Neither is the breakfast buffet.
BEWARE OF BREAKFAST FRENZY......
What you also won't know that this hotel allows a local time share company to use their restaurant to bring in their high pressured sales staff and try to close guests on time shares.
YUCK. You might be lucky to get a seat at breakfast, but then you have to listen to all the closing arguments at each table. It is obvious that the management has decided to get a few extra dollars with this exchange and the resort fees. I think it will bite them in the end.
The rooms are nice and clean and spacious. I had an upgrade to a one bedroom with a redundant kitchen owned obviously by a time share owner. The pantry had a lock on it.
But you were able to use the microwave.
The spa looked nice. Did not use it. The resort fee did not even allow me to use their sauna
or showers. > more penny wise pound foolish issues.
The resort on a whole is quiet . There were a few children. They were the noisy ones.
Some people come here for rest and relaxation after a medical procedure or plastic surgery.
As I found some guests were staying here for a month or longer. They do offer long term rates
$3000 a month more or less. Not bad. Lots of seniors here.
Lots of business people come here. Lots of companies. It is a convention centre...so beware of this as well.
There is no beach. There is no night life. There is local shopping in a few plazas and strip malls
in the area...nothing special to write about. It is a mass maze of a closed in community mostly
commercial with some upscale houses as well. Its a good 30 minute drive to anything entertaining. So you do feel like you are in the boonies. The front desk was nice and friendly but unbending on any of their policies.
I think this is an older tired Hyatt hotel that still is in a "work in progress" I did enjoy the lush tall
greenery and overall ambiance. Would I stay here again. NO.
There are far too many other places to explore and this place is just too boring for one whole week. But if you must stay in this general area for whatever reason, it is a fairly good deal outside of the resort fees.

Room Tip: higher level with lake view/ or ground level facing pool for children ask to have rooms closest to...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rayz
BonaventureMgmt, Manager at Bonaventure Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Hello Rayz, Thank you for your detailed comments regarding your resent stay. Yes, our resort is sprawling and lush which you complimented as well as our very large nice and clean guest rooms. Yes, we have no beach and do offer an overall quiet experience so I can only apologize that the few children that were here seemed to be disturbing you. I would like to share with you a few corrections, we are not a time share, as a guest you do have complimentary 24-hour access to the fitness center and that we are the closest resort (approximately 10 minutes) to the BB&T center as well as the Sawgrass Mills Mall which we offer complimentary transportation to and from. Perhaps with a better understanding of our resort and what we have to offer we may welcome you again to the Bonaventure.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

We came into the hotel very late at night and the front desk staff did everything in his power to accomodate us .We were upgraded to a suite,received anearly check inand the hotel was faboulos.This was our fourth visit and we would definitely recommend it to singles familys and couples. The bar tender also was fabulous, she was from our old neighborhood in Chicago and was very plesant and attentive even as she was working to close the bar...Just love that place

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Michelle S, Manager at Bonaventure Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

We are thrilled to hear you had an outstanding experience! Hope to see you back at the Bonaventure again very soon.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

We came to this place because of my boyfriend had made the reservation without reading the reviews. When I read them, I wanted to cancel and go elsewhere. My boyfriend who is the Mr. Nice guy, wanted to give the place a chance. I'm so glad we did. It was the greatest escape from Chicago's horrible winter. Although the rooms need TLC, the staff was super.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Michelle S, Manager at Bonaventure Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Well thank you to Mr. Nice Guy. We're glad you stay with us to escape the Chicago Winter! The Bonaventure certainly looks forward to welcoming you again to our tropical oasis in the very near future!

Reviewed 23 March 2014

I wanted to give this place a two but just couldn't. I stayed for one night and when I arrived, the front desk person ( young girl) could not tell me exactly how to get to the BBT center (it was 5 miles away and a two street drive, nor could she guarantee any food at the bar post show. This was a bit frustrating as I had called a few days before and was assured that there would be a late night menu until 1a.m. Also, my name was reversed on reservation (something I thought was fixed in a pre-visit phone call but evidently not.)

OK, so checked in...room is a bit musty...bidet? really outdated and not so clean (I would suggest either getting lids or removing them). Bed comfy, but place was LOUD. I will tell more of that later.....

Stopped in at the bar pre-concert to ask if I could order food they could hold for me because THEY told me kitchen closed at 11...no more orders past that time...I expected to return by 11:30..server said sure. I ordered a crab salad, but just wasn't convinced it would be waiting for me when I got back. Off I go to the show which was PHENOMENAL!!! (if you missed Paul Simon and Sting you may hang your head now...lol).

Get back and of course my food was not ordered because the kitchen was "Out of cilantro". That was not a main ingredient of the crab salad. SO I got soggy french fries (we're talking limp here) and fried mini shrimp. But at least I finally got a cocktail. VERY loud drunk slobbery patrons in the bar area (the place seems to be a mecca for this type)...verbally abusing staff while stumbling around and ordering pizza delivery.

SO it's 1a.m. and i drive to my building...NO PARKING. All of the places were full, peope were driving around a no one was finding a spot. Drove back to front desk (a bit of a distance) and asked what to do...they said just park in valet and we can take you back to room. SO...ok that meant car was far away from room. Get into room and almost immediately there is HUGE loud drama in the hall (this is NOT a quiet place). Threats to call police, etc. That finishes in about 20 minutes, and I get to sleep thinking I could rest as along as I want cuz I have a late checkout. WRONG.

Housekeeping knocking on door at 9:15.. and then opening the door.after having banged around in an area that sounded like it was on the adjoining wall of my room. I try to get back to sleep, but decide to go for free breakfast instead.

Buffet was free, a la carte not, but my server made sure I could have what I wanted (good choice since menu item was less expensive than buffet). He also assured me that breakfast would be taken off my bill and not appear at checkout. SOOOO retrieve car go to room pack and check out...breakfast is on my bill. I go back to desk to tell them it should not be there and witness a man yelling about why he is not going to pay his bill because he was not given anything he was promised......yikes. So I have to wait another 10 minutes for breakfast to be taken off room bill. This place is just a disorganized mess from head to toe. One night should be seamless, I can't imagine a prolonged stay.

The one star comes from my breakfast experience, great juervo riojo and the waiter was whisper efficient. LOVED him. (He got the one star!)
Between the mixed mis-information about late night food...no parking...and loud patrons...I would
not return. ANd not for nothing, I am now on antibiotics from asthma flare up that usually occurs from mold or mildew. Just saying.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank ohm2

While we appreciate your honest feedback, we are disheartened to learn that you left our resort feeling disappointed in your stay. We apologize for any inconveniences and I've reached out to you via a private message so that we might be able to discuss the details surrounding your stay. While I can only apologize for noisy guests all other details surrounding your comments have been forward and are being reviewed by the corresponding departments.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

We checked in at 11PM on a saturday night. It was not busy at the front desk at the time. The lady told us that they were overbooked and had to change my king bed room to a two double bed room. This was my first inconvenience. She also told me that if I came back in two days there would be a king size bed available. When I came back in two days I was not able to be switch to my king size bed room because they "were still overbooked." She gave me what they call an upgraded executive room- that comes with a stove and a lakeview. What they don't tell you is no pots or pans are provided rendering the kitchenette useless. But on the flipside, I must say the lake is relaxing and a nice view to have. Two out of 6 nights of staying here we were unable to use the pool due to various events (wedding, party) that were being hosted in the surrounding area. Instead, my fiance and I wanted to watch a movie. We were going to go to redbox to rent one until we realized that the rooms at this hotel do not have DVD players- something that is standard in this day and age at hotels. When I called the front desk they informed me that is due to the fact they are trying to increase the sales of their movies on demand- pricing at an average of 17.99 (this was truly stated by the front desk). After purchasing the movie and feeling severely sad, I went to bed. Rise and shine to another problem at my bonaventure relaxing spa. As I went down to pay for my million dollar movie and my 3 bottles of water that cost me 6 dollars, I came across something called a resort fee. Upon check-in, nothing of this fee was mentioned to me (I went down there also because the maid did not leave any soap, shampoo, washclothes, handtowels, or clean glasses). The resort fee amounted to 18.50 with tax included/per day. You can imagine my surprise at this hidden fee that was never mentioned to me at least. It apparently is in the fine print on priceline somewhere and that is my fault for not noticing it but still it would have been nice to have that fee reiterated to me at check-in. On the flipside, after getting severely angry and talking to a very rude employee, I was able to talk with the assistant manager. After the manager and I had words, he was "polite" enough to split the fees with me but would not lower the overcharged movie (got charged 20.43 instead of 17.99)- said he would look into that for future guests. In conclusion, after walking away from this hotel and "spa resort" I have learned one thing, that I don't have enough quarters to feed the meter of their nickle and diming me at this hotel. I want you all to know that I have stayed at a lot of hotels, this hotel is not good. Stay away. Love IT. On a side note, the employees who work in the restaurants in this hotel are great- especially nadira, danny, and jamie- they go above and beyond- they deserve to work somewhere better than this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 1Bobby9Lashly87
Michelle S, Manager at Bonaventure Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

While we appreciate your honest feedback, we are disheartened to learn that you left our resort feeling disappointed in your stay. We apologize for any inconveniences and encourage you to contact us directly to discuss your experience in further detail. Please note that we do indeed have room service available from 8 pm to 11:30 pm everynight. We hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you again.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

The staff made sure the customer was satisfied. This was my first spa experience and it was wonderfully amazing. The food taste great and I love the chicken wings well seasoned.
The walk on the path takes you to a tranquil place surrounded by nature.

• Stayed: February 2014

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to share your very positive experience at Bonaventure Resort and Spa with us. It is rewarding to see the investment made in training paying dividends; rest assured I will share your comments with the Team. Thank you again and we hope to be of service soon.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Came here for business meetings. Got an upgraded room, very nice. like an apartment with a nice balcony. Stephanie checked us in and she was very nice and helpful. disappointing they do not offer room service but they do allow take out at the restaurant and bar. Great bar and service around the pool. Had some very relaxing afternoons there. When it rains they will come pick you up and take you to the main lobby which is nice. The rooms were very comfortable and beds were great. One problem is that the maids and some of the restaurant workers spoke no English at all. The front desk staff were all excellent and very helpful. i was disappointed in the breakfast buffet. when it got busy they ran out of food fast and the bread and cereal seemed stale. I ate at lunch there and ordered off the menu and it was very good.

Room Tip: if you don't like noise stay away from the pool. I think all the rooms are nice and have great b...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Mike H

Thank you for sharing your guest perspective with us. We certainly appreciate your insightful review and sincerely regret any inconveniences that you experienced in our restaurant. We are however, grateful for your warm remarks regarding our services at the Bonaventure Resort & Spa. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your business trip with us and we appreciate your kind recognition of our friendly staff members. Thank you for sharing your review and we hope you'll have the opportunity to visit with us again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Weston
Central Beach
Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach
Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach
#14 of 127 in Fort Lauderdale

Been to Bonaventure Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!