“Fabulous”
Review of Zandoli Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint Patrick Parish
Zandoli Inn
Reviewed 20 January 2013

Our first trip advisor review is extremely positive - we had a wonderful stay at Zandoli Inn for 8 nights in January 2013. Room 3 had a balcony overlooking the grounds and sea and a window overlooking the bay. We sat in bed watching hummingbirds visiting flowers and the weather passing over the hills on the other side of the bay. The breezes kept the room cool - you can sleep with your windows open and listen to the waves below and be woken by the sunrise. The food was amazing - we can't think why you would want to eat anywhere else once you've tasted Jenn's delights. Nothing was too much trouble even catering for a fish lover and a non fish eater - I got to eat all the wonderful delights of the ocean as well as relishing the beef pork and smoked chicken all served with great sauces, dips and salads. Jenn will cook whatever your stomach tells you it wants - vegetable pasta for a change was a great. As for the deserts - small delicate and full of flavour - the chocolate mousse was our favourite. We made time to explore and enjoy the grounds wandering along the paths discovering the well placed benches, appreciating the plants and views (see CnJ photos). Linda finds out your interests and helps arrange guides etc if you need them and Linda and Jenn are both great sources of information about the island. We highly recommend Zandoli Inn to people who appreciate good food, company as well as peace and quiet in a beautiful setting.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CandJ2013

Reviewed 5 January 2013

My husband and I live on the Island of Vieques, Puerto rico. We still love to visit different islands. Our trip to Zandoli Inn, in Dominica was different. The location was beautiful with a spectacular view overlooking Grand Bay. Our room was not fancy but very clean. One thing for sure is you can take a long, hot shower. The grounds of Zandoli are filled with lovely plants and flowers which I very much enjoyed being a plant lover. I also enjoyed Rockette & Scratchie the two sweet doggies which protect the grounds.
Although most people have raved about the cuisine at Zandoli, I found it sometimes just to eclectic? For myself, I needed something more common like rice or pasta to go with my fancy whole headed fish. My stomach found it a gastric mix. There are no prices so you just go with it. Dinner per person ran around $45. U.S. dollars each, not counting drinks. We did decide to go into town to Fort Young for dinner one night. Dinner for two there was $38. U.S. dollars including drinks. I also felt a little pressure to eat all our meals at Zandoli. I do understand that that is a way they make money. But, they have to understand that most people do not want fish every night. Yes, fish is local and what most people there eat daily. We were on vacation and just could not eat anymore fish. One more word on Dominica. be careful where you rent a car! We reserved from Avis on September 4th and had a confirmation number. When we arrived December 27th they laughed at us! They said take a cab and come back Saturday, maybe we will have a car by then. No Thanks!! None of the car rental places at the airport had cars!
We ended up getting a ride with a fellow at the airport and had to drive an hour out of our way to the other side of the island to Silver Lining car rental. They had a car and then we drove in the dark to Zandoli a 2 1/2 hour drive.Kudos to Silver Lining! The terrain of Dominica is very mountainous. It is lush and green. Many fabulous places to hike and swim. Dominica reminded us of Jurasic park :o)

Room Tip: We had room #5 which is the highest up for a view. No screens but no bugs. Nice breeze.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Islandgirl00765
Reviewed 16 December 2012

My wife and I had heard about Zandoli Inn some years back from savvy friend and decided that when the Tides of Travel allowed we would visit. . Our chance came last month when we "hopped " over via LIAT from Barbados. By e-mail Jenn gave me great directions, rental car recommendations, and asked for dietary restrictions , if any. The result was a flawless two day, one night visit. No hassles with the car, no trouble driving, and then the pleasure of Zandoli... the views, setting, pool , a warm welcome and a fabulous evening and morning meal. Everything was superb, better even than our friend's superlative description. Jenn also sent us on our way back to Melville Hall over spectacular roads ( well paved) through Carib territory and rain forest scenery that is first class. What a privilege for us.

Room Tip: There are only 5 rooms, all are excellent, don't fuss about which one you get. No bugs and cool...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank James M
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Great stay. Jenn and the team looked after me from start to finish. The food was outstanding, with real care going in every night. Beautiful location overlooking the bay. I'll be back...... but only if you give me the Rum punch recipe? Thanks again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Jono L
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Don't make a mistake by staying someplace else. We stayed here for 5 nights in May. It is worth the 20-30 min easy ride from Roseau to stay here. I have the same sentiments as other reviewers only to add that I loved the lightning bugs flying in our room at night! By the way, the only bugs we saw. The rooms are simple and immaculate. The staff is wonderful and Jen is the best. I worried that the location would be too remote for our activities but it actually was a perfect spot for seeing the entire south half of the island. You will be cool enough at night without A/C and a rental car would be preferable. Believe all the good reviews! Please email me if you need more details.

Room Tip: Room 5 and 3 best views, 4 would be next choice and then 2, with 1 being last choice.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank DJTA
Reviewed 28 May 2012

This place is fantastic! The grounds are beautiful & perfectly manicured. We stayed in room #3. It was perfectly placed for viewing the ocean, watching the sunset or gazing at the stars. The inn is located in a quiet area with no city or traffic noise. The only sounds are from the "night creatures" & the ocean waves. We found the fan & open windows to be sufficient for keeping cool.

The Zandoli staff saw that every detail was taken care of for us. They even offered to cook lunch upon our arrival since we hadn't eaten yet. We stayed at Zandoli Inn for 5 nights & enjoyed them all. The best part of the stay (besides the great views from our room) was the food. Breakfast was plentiful & customized to our liking. Dinner was superb & nothing short of spectacular. Everything was made with local ingredients & rivaled most any five star restaurant (in fact Jenn, the owner, was a gourmet chef in Canada). Overall the experience was fantastic & definitely worth the 30 minute drive outside of Roseau.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights in late February and it was, by far, the highlight of our entire Caribbean vacation (we had stayed a week on Dominica and a week on Antigua). The location, the hospitality, the room and most of all, the food, were all outstanding in every way.

The quaint, 5-room hotel is located on the southern coast of Dominica, with breathtaking views of the ocean and dramatic mountains nearby. It’s in a rural area, with the nearest restaurants or popular attractions (such as the Roseau valley) 30-40 minutes drive away, but this is exactly why we loved it so much. The hotel vibe was extremely peaceful and relaxing and we were perfectly content hanging out here and going for a local walk on one of the days we stayed here instead of site-seeing.

The hotel is owned and run by a family originally from Canada, who purchased the land where the hotel now stands over 30 years ago (I hope I’m remembering dates correctly, as they were told to me after I’d enjoyed a fantastic, locally-made, rum punch!). The father of the family, an architect, designed and built the hotel and it is clear from the thoughtful placement of every window, balcony and patio that he studied this site for months, if not years, before even beginning to sketch. Architecturally, everything aligns harmoniously with the path of the sun, the direction of the ocean breezes and most of all the idyllic view of the ocean and mountains on the distant shoreline. This is a very special place, indeed.

The hospitality we received was outstanding. We were welcomed warmly upon arrival by Jen, who graciously offered to make us lunch after learning we hadn’t eaten yet (p.s. they will make lunch upon request with advance notice). It was a perfect soup that hit the spot (I’ll talk about the outstanding cuisine in a minute). Jen made us feel at home and provided us with fantastic information about the things to do and see in the area and also gave us a nice history of the area, which was wonderful.

Our room was immaculately clean, spacious and well-maintained. It is not a luxury hotel, but offers all the comforts one would need. Our room had a large window, from which we enjoyed an incredible sunset every night. We also had a private balcony that featured sweeping views of the sea. At night, the sound of the ocean, coupled with the light breeze was perfect for sleeping.

The most wonderful part of our stay at Zandoli Inn was the food. Jen, who is gourmet chef, along with her talented staff, prepared incredible dinners and beautiful breakfasts for us each day. She uses locally-sourced ingredients (some right out of the hotel’s garden). Our dinners included a starter, main and dessert every night and included such dishes as: chicken pate with mango chutney, callaloo soup, goat curry, fresh red snapper (caught that day from the nearby fishing village), and fresh salads. Breakfast featured fresh fruit and homemade breads and made to order eggs, if desired. We took photographs of every meal so we could relive the experience later!

I would absolutely recommend staying here! It is the real deal.

Room Tip: I think we stayed in room #3.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lisa M

Been to Zandoli Inn? Share your experiences!