“A quaint setting, food wasn't good”
Review of Telford Hotel

Telford Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in White Springs
Telford Hotel
Indian Trail, North Carolina
“A quaint setting, food wasn't good”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I grew up near White Springs and have visited the Telford a few times over the years to eat in the restaurant. It was a grand place in its time. Several owners over the years have tried to make a go of it with little success. Now the place has new owners and my mother had her 83rd "birthday party" there. About a dozen friends and family met to celebrate with her and the food simply was not good--over cooked or flavorless. My mother's words "the new owner's must really be trying to stretch their food dollar." I really hope the new owners can make this a success, but they have got to get some better food. If the food was good, this would really be something to experience.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MWK1

Business
Reviewed 26 May 2014

The Telford Hotel is over 100 years old and full of history. It's old, and it looks old. That's the point. That's the attraction; but that is not why I ended up there.

I was looking for a place to stay three nights as close as possible to the Florida Folk Festival being held in White Springs, Florida at the Stephen Foster State Park. I wanted to avoid the crowed parking. I wanted to walk to and from the event during the day for quick showers and naps. A clean bed, good food, and safe environment would do the trick. I found all of this and more at the Telford Hotel in White Springs.

In fact I found a lot more than was expected. This place is cool. The staff loved working there, and it showed. Step back to the early 1900s. Old radios fill a few shelves in one sitting room. A roller piano waited in another sitting room. Old typewriters, books and equipment were to be found sitting around like they were put there a long time ago. The hotel is big and full of energy but with not that many rooms to rent. The weekend I was there all the rooms were rented; and it was still far from crowed. There is a lounge off to the side with a beautiful bar. The very same bar that was featured in the John Wayne movie "True Grit." There is a restaurant with the best southern fried chicken you will find anywhere. How about a big deep swimming pool. You got it. Take a walk along the famous Suwannee River which is only a block away, Rent a canoe or kayak, and take it down river. A shuttle service will bring you back up river. There are many trails near the hotel including the Florida Trail which is one of only eleven U.S. National Scenic Trails. Got a bicycle? Take it along and explore the bike trails. I could go on and on.

I went there to see a music festival and found so much more. I really enjoyed the festival, but I may have enjoyed the Telford Hotel even more. I didn't have the time to enjoy all the activities in the area, but I will certainly go back with a pocket full of time.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Robert S
Bayfield, Canada
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Just reopened a couple of days ago...new owner has awesome plans for the refurb...back to the condition it was in the glory days...oh did I mention they have the absolutely best fried chicken on the planet...restaurant is open now...grand opening of the hotel will be in December in time for Christmas...way up upon the Suwanee River in White Springs Florida.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank pisbee
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed 19 February 2011

Well, it was built in 1902, and there's been some remodeling over the century, but, well, shared bathrooms are just not standard any more. A bit grotty (rust in the sink, for example). But quiet, laid back for my $70. Totally inadequate do-it-yourself breakfast. Dinner was chaotic (the server said they had 280+ today) and only buffet. The standard fried chicken, popcorn shrimp, red velvet cake stuff, but less than $12/person. A remnant of the late 1800s / early 1900s when this town was the largest resort in Florida. On US 41, not far from I-75.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Holiday Inn Express Live Oak
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lake City
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lake City
Home2 Suites by Hilton Lake City

Been to Telford Hotel? Share your experiences!