“nice visit followed by a poor visit”

The Ivy House Restaurant and Boutique
Ranked #1 of 17 Restaurants in Williston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My wife and I stopped on the way home from Atlanta. We had seen this restaurant many times. We had a nice meal, a little pricey, but overall a nice visit. The owner and her daughter were nice and had a discussion about old recipes with my wife. My wife promised to provide an old cake recipe. So we planned a day trip to deliver the recipe. The 2 ladies we had met were not there when we got to the Ivy House Restaurant. We were seated on the porch with 2 other tables occupied. The server came in several times to check on the other 2 tables but did not acknowledge us. After a wait that was starting to approach 10 minutes, I went looking for some help. The previously mentioned server was sent in to wait on us. He started the conversation with an apology (good) and an excuse. He did not see us. That is not something I usually hear as I am a large person and have a full white beard, kinda look like Santa on vacation. So I made a sarcastic and admittedly snarky comment (no profanity) and was promptly told to leave and the menus removed (snatched) from our hands. So we left. My upset wife did leave the recipe, but I doubt if we will ever have any of that cake. My ratings are based on the one meal we ate there, except for service.

3  Thank Donald M

Reviewed 9 May 2014

When I visit Florida on a yearly bases this is a "have to" place to visit. My family took me there for the 1st time years ago. It is great for a special occasion or just for fun. My sis and I always order the prawns. My husband orders the chicken. We have never been disappointed. I love that it is a family run operation. There was a time that the Grandmother and Daughter, both came to our table to check on us.

2  Thank dana l
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Ivy House is actually an old home converted into a restaurant in downtown Williston. This is my second visit for lunch and I was not disappointed. Ordered the baked crispy chicken, with all the fixins'. Now I've read some folks don't like all the sides on one plate, and touching each other, but this is really no problem if you enjoy the entire meal. It is a large portion, so beware. The service is excellent, and the "Specials" do sell out quick. Prices are reasonable. The atmosphere creates a feeling you are eating in someone's home. Hope you find this helpful for your first visit.

2  Thank FLworldwanderer
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We went to celebrate a Birthday today. This was our (my husband and I) first time at this restaurant. When the waitress arrived with our order she gave us one plate, and in the same 10" plate was a piece of oven fried chicken, a little bit of salad, a little bit of vegetables, a no cheese taste bit of macaroni and cheese, one small piece of corn bread, and one small white roll. When I looked at this plate my appetite just went away. We had the famous Oven Fried Chicken, which it was not crunchy, actually soggy. When we go out for a meal, we like to see our food in a normal setting, like salad and bread separated from the main course, and yes, when we left the restaurant we went someplace to have desert, we all were VERY HUNGRY! Sorry Ivy House we will never come back!

1  Thank IGVOcala_FL
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Last Saturday Hubby, Sister-in-Law, and I had the pleasure to eat lunch at this lovely out of the way restaurant located in the small country town of Williston. What a surprise you will have if you have never been there! The house is quite old having been the office and residence of the town Doctor in a much simpler time. The rooms have been kept as is and made into several small dining areas. It is so quaint you might think you have stepped back in time. The food is very tasty with a southern theme. If you do go please be sure and take a good appetite with you. The cornbread alone will make you close your eyes and go "yummmm". I have eaten there several times in the past few years and have always been delighted. I must try their new Ivy House in Ocala the next time I am over that way. Bon Appetite!

1  Thank Janice A