“Can't Get Florida Red Snapper Right”
Review of Old Florida Seafood House - CLOSED

Old Florida Seafood House
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Thought it would be OK to dine here as in the past.
No Florida lobsters on hand although offered on menu.
Red Snapper was doubtfully that. ...and looked microwaved. Also pre-frozen.
What happened to his iconic former seafood restaurant?
Never going back.

2  Thank TKlash

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Although the décor is a bit tired and the recipes are not as eclectic as one can get on Las Olas, Old Florida Seafood House offers very good, fresh seafood. Upon walking into the establishment, I was a bit uncertain as it is dated and bordering on dingy. Yet I was greeted by a very hospitable host and thereafter a fantastically friendly, honest, fun and hard-working waiter. The service was impeccable. The menu had a wide variety of fresh local fish, yet being that it was the end of the season, I opted for the stone crab, which was delicious. For side dishes I ordered the dirty rice , which to my surprise was quite tasty (I'm usually disappointed as I am accustomed to that made in Louisiana) and asparagus. I was curious about the creamed spinach but apprehensive as some put too much nutmeg. While I opted for the asparagus, the waiter brought me both, and actually I was quite impressed with the spinach. The meal was very good. Moreover, in spite of the dated look of the place, it did have a surprising updated wine selection. I was able to order Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc. The price was a tiny bit high: $10.00 for a glass of Kim Crawford is a dollar or two more than I expected, but the service was exceptional and the food, though simple, was fresh and tasty. So if you are in the mood for fresh, straightforward, traditionally prepared seafood, this is the place to go.

1  Thank ProfessorOnzaga
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Hadn't been here for awhile, so I was excited to take my family and enjoy the great meals they always used to have. What a disappointment!! When we were seated, the hostess told us that our waitress had a few things to finish up and she would be with us in 8-10 minutes. Not really what you want to hear when you are seated. The waitress was sweet and quite good, but too many tables for too few waiters and of course, the result was very slow service either by her and/or the kitchen. My grouper tasted very fishy and dry, and my son-in-law said his was very tough. All of us ordered the twice baked potato and three out of the four arrived burnt all across the top. I think that we all left hungry. So disappointed...

1  Thank ckcl3
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I have lived a great part of my life in south Florida... recently tried an old favorite and was very disappointed. None of us thought the fish or shrimp was fresh. It tasted to be prepackaged and frozen. The side dishes were just awful... the coleslaw tasted like something you would pick up at the supermarket, the tartar sauce was old and stale. We were all very disappointed. I do NOT recommend.
One bright note, The staff was great and helpful.

2  Thank KathleenK367
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Took family for a special meal with living social deal. Food was fast food quality for a huge price. Son actually got sick from kids fish meal and threw up all night. Was not an experience I will repeat. Service wasn't good and food was cooked to rubber and cold. Under new owners, not the same as before!

2  Thank jenniferstahl