“What you see is not necessarily what you get”

The Cabanas Guesthouse & Spa
Reviewed 9 May 2011

With no doubt, the Cabanas are central located and the tropical setting appears charming and inviting. However, comparing the written reviews and ratings with the actual experience, guests should know: The Cabanas are located at a busy intersection and even the sparkling pool won’t make up for the noise from the street. Most of the rooms and cottages are set towards the parking lot and pool-deck, facing NE 26th Avenue. Said that, the Cabanas aren’t a quiet place. For those that choose the cottages facing the canal, guests should know, they are facing the NE side with no sun exposure. The staff is on site and doing their job. That’s it. Overall the Cabanas are one of the many gay resorts in Fort Lauderdale to choose from, not my recommended choice.

Room Tip: Don't face the pool/parking lot
Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank SFBooster

Reviewed 8 May 2011

The good: nice pools (2), great for sunning, great hot tub, gardens are nice, host are exceptionally accommodating, service is very good, spa is good, not great - nor bad.
The bad: the guesthouses are on a VERY busy road - very noisy!!! (the main pool is on the road, so not very relaxing, same with some of the rooms), breakfast is bagels and pastries in wrappers like you would buy in a vending machine, cereal/milk, coffee, bananas; rooms are only OK, lack of attention to detail in finishings, quite a ways from beach

Room Tip: get a room on the canal, stay away from road
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank TallSH
Reviewed 2 May 2011

The staff is very professional and friendly. They really want your stay to be the best possible. Great location with water views and very quiet. The nightlife is just down the street about a 10 minute walk. Have stayed here twice and both times were great. Will stay here again next visit to Fort Lauderdale.
When in town you must try Rendezvous Restaurant! Best French food with incredibly reasonable prices and cozy atmosphere. I love this place! It's also nearby.

Room Tip: I prefer the rooms with a view of the river.
1  Thank kingralph21
Reviewed 13 April 2011

I first stayed at the Cabanas back in 1995 (I think), and since then I've stayed there 11 different times (4 separate vacations last year!) - I like this place that much. Here's why:

Let's face it. There are a lot of gay resorts in Fort Lauderdale (many are pretty terrific, some are not) - each one has its own atmosphere, its own pro's & con's. The Cabanas immediately found a place in my list of Top 3 Fort Lauderdale resorts (sharing that list with the Coral Reef Guesthouse, and Schubert Resort) - if you stayed at any of these three resorts, you wouldn't go wrong. Like I said, each has its own atmosphere - and I love each of these places for different reasons. BUT... it's the Cabanas that has me repeatedly coming back, time & time again, and has is now my #1 spot to stay in Fort Lauderdale. It truly just keeps getting better & better.

The layout of the place is terrific. Most resorts have everything more or less clumped together - hot tub is adjoined to the pool, etc. - but the Cabanas is a bigger lot of land, so everything has more space around it. The hot tub is in a different location than the pool - so both areas may very well have a totally different "atmosphere" going on - which is very, very cool (I mean, "hot").

The rooms are great - newly renovated. Comfortable beds, clean crisp linens, good pillows. Tropically decorated. Air conditioning good. In all the times I've stayed there, I've never had a bad experience - I've enjoyed each room I've had.

The staff is amazing - truly amazing. It's reached a point, now, when I arrive there, I feel like I'm joining good friends... I feel like the staff there are no longer "staff", but close friends, now - and you can't put a price on that feeling.

The new pool is amazing. They've re-worked the pool over the years, so instead of a chlorine pool, the water is now salt-water (better for the skin - easier on the eyes, too)… Plus (for sunworshippers like me) the pool is blessed with nonstop sun (especially in the summer). The Cabanas even has a steam room (a hot one at that!). You'd think, with the Florida heat, that you wouldn't enjoy a steam room - but guess again… Yes, the steam room's hot - but it's a different heat than the hot Florida sun provides, so after a few minutes in the steam room, you come back outside, and suddenly, the intense Florida heat actually feels… refreshing(!). Their new spa is pretty nice, too. I took advantage of getting a massage while there, and it was wonderful.

Breakfast is - well, it's your Fort Lauderdale continental breakfast. These resorts are required by law(!) to serve packaged items, so anyone who wants to complain about that? Take it to the city - it's not any of the resorts' fault(s). The Cabanas served what I need for breakfast, so I definitely will not complain. Good coffee, some fresh fruit, yogurt - that's all I want - and they had it for me.

What more can I say?

As a pedestrian, the location suits me fine. There's a liquor store only about a block away, next to a super-drug-store... Plenty of restaurants within walking distance. The gay bars of Wilton Manors are a short drive/cab ride - or a long walk - still close enough. No highrises looking down into the property (whew!), the waterway behind the property is beautiful- kyacks available, etc.

I love Fort Lauderdale. I love this staff. I love the Cabanas. John, Bill, David, Paul - I feel like they have, over the years, evolved from owners/staff to friends. A great feeling that is, too.

Room Tip: Try to get Rooms #5 or #6. They face the canal.
  • Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank Victor V
Reviewed 29 March 2011

I have recently had the pleasure of celebrating my 40th birthday at The Cabanas. This trip, though well planned, was almost cancelled due to work obligations. But at the last minute I was able to get the time off of work to meet my friends there (even if I was a few days late). The owner and staff managed to find room for me despite the last minute booking and offered me a (very) discounted rate due to their need to move me several times during my stay.

As I moved several times, I can tell you that each of the rooms that I stayed in were clean, spacious, and have recently been refurbished. They were all air-conditioned, had wifi access, and (at minimum) a microwave and small fridge. Some rooms had full ranges and stoves with full size refrigerators. The beds were comfortable and the linens and towels were of a good quality.

The property was laid out so that there were several public areas that allowed more or less privacy. The foliage was quite nice and helped to separate you from the outside world. There were also plenty of seating and reclining areas from which to choose as you either followed the sun during the day or tried to stay in the shade. The main pool was salt water (my first – which I loved), and there was also a hot(!) tub and sauna (also quite hot). In a very secluded part of the property was another (chlorinated) pool that was not heated. I did not use it, but imagine it would be very pleasant on a hot summer day.

There was a computer available for guest-use as well, which was a nice touch and came in handy for my friends. There was also a common-area kitchen with a complimentary continental breakfast every morning including coffee, yogurt, cold cereal, Danish-style treats, and fresh fruit. This was plenty for me on most mornings, and on the mornings I needed more, there was an outstanding diner just on the corner (Egg & You). And for lunch and dinner, there are some excellent dining choices within walking distance (Kitchenetta, Ruth’s Chris, California Pizza Kitchen, and others).

I felt that the location was good as well. My friends and I were able to find all of the basic necessities within walking distance (grocer, liquor store, etc.) and many of the gay attractions (stores, restaurants, and night clubs) were a short car or taxi ride away. The beach and mall were just a little farther still. An added bonus was that the property was right on the canal network and there were a few kayaks for use by guests. I didn’t have the opportunity to use them this time but look forward to the next trip.

Not to forget the Spa … it is a perfect marriage with The Cabanas. It offers a wide variety of services including waxing, grooming, facials, massage, and more. I enjoyed their services this trip and it is definitely something on my list for next time too.

Finally, the staff was all professional and friendly. I have never seen more smiles out of hotel staff before, and they always seemed to be a flurry of activity as they constantly tidied up messes that guests left behind, and watered the plants. To them, I just want to say thanks again, guys, for everything and you’ll get my recommendation to everyone I know!

Reviewed 25 March 2011

Ok so I read the reviews before I stayed and I wanted to write my own when I returned. I really have nothing negative to say about The Cabanas Guesthouse. The grounds are gorgeous. The resort is SPOTLESS !! They are constantly cleaning. I even saw the groundskeepers brushing the sides of the pool and spa. The rooms are well appointed and modern. John, Paul and David are super friendly and are happy to help you with whatever it is you might need. The only negative thing I can say is that I didn't book early enough and could only stay for two nights. Next time I will book early and believe me there will for sure be a next time.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 March 2011

We just spent 6 wonderful days at The Cabana's. We have spent time in several guesthouses in Florida, and this now tops our list. Our room was nicely appointed and recently updated. We enjoyed the grounds very much. Very well kept. There are 2 pools on the property, but most guests will be found around the "main" salt water heated pool. The property is adjacent to 26th, a busy street off Hwy 1, and while this seems to have bothered some previous guests, we didn't seem to notice it that much. If you want udder peace and quite, go rent an island. We enjoyed the easy access and closeness to everything being on 26th provided over any minimal street noise. All of Wilton Manors Dr. /4th is just minutes down the street. Our room was very quite, as was the property in general, not bothered by noise from other guest, etc. Noel the house cat is a joy. The little minx. The hot tub was a nice relaxing place in the evenings, always with good conversation. We found the other guests to friendly for the most past and happy with the property too. The continental breakfast is a little minimal, and packaged items mainly. But a short 1.5 block stroll brings you to the the Egg and You, a great place for breakfast. We found John and his staff to be VERY accommodating. Friendly and available at all times while on property. Most guesthouses do not have 24 staff on property, but we've never had an issues with this in 15+ years of staying in GH's And while we did not partake, there is a full Spa on property. Norman and staff are available for all your Spa needs. I nice amenity. All and all, our stay at the The Cabana's was EXCELLENT, and we would recommend this guesthouse to all our friends.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilton Manors
Hotel Lush Royale
#11 of 35 in Fort Lauderdale
Victoria Park
Pineapple Point Guest House and Resort
Pineapple Point Guest House and ...
#1 of 35 in Fort Lauderdale
Island Sands Inn
#1 of 2 in Wilton Manors

Been to The Cabanas Guesthouse & Spa? Share your experiences!