“Captive audience. Most expensive stay of our trip--I didn't see the value!”

Holiday Inn Winter Haven
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Winter Haven
Reviewed 22 June 2012

We stayed here on our stop at Legoland based in the glowing reviews. Yes, it was more expensive than any of the other area hotels, but I didn't want any problems during our trip to Legoland, so I chose this hotel just to be on the safe side. Overall, the hotel was fine, but certainly no better than the many other hotels--Comfort Suites, Hampton Inn, and even another (much cheaper) Holiday Inn we stayed in while on our way from Illinois to Fort Myers Beach and back. I don't mean to be mean, but my first impression was not very good when I noticed that the man working the front desk had long nails. A little creepy to me. The room was clean which is the most important thing to me. But for $140 a night, I expected a bit more. It seemed pretty average. We were very disappointed to learn that breakfast (standard in every other hotel in which we stayed) was not included in our room rate. We felt kind of like a captive audience since there aren't that many options close to Legoland, and this hotel seems to be trying to take advantage of that by charging what they do. No major complaints, just not a very good value, in my opinion.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Jamiemommie
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Winter Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2012

Dear Jamiemommie,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your recent stay. I'm sorry you were not satisfied with our room rates and that your room accommodations fell below your expectations. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Hotel around. Please accept my apology for the negative impression you may have had with our front desk staff. I have taken note of your comments and I will make sure that this will be looked into and be forwarded to the departments involved. Thank you again for posting your comments. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be. Thank you for staying with us.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 14 June 2012

We spent one night here on a visit to Legoland. I have nothing but positive things to say about it. Our room was clean and ready for us after we spent the day at the Legoland water park. Staff was friendly and helpful. Hotel is only about 3 miles from Legoland. You can walk to Outback Steakhouse or Boston Market from the hotel. Dunkin' Donuts and Olive Garden are both a short drive away.

I read on Tripadvisor that the kids get a Lego toy upon arrival, but this was not the case for us as they did not have any in stock when we got there. Luckily I did not tell the kids about that possibility ahead of time so nobody was disappointed really.

Bottom line is we would not hesitiate to stay here again if ever back in Winter Haven. A good value for the $140 per night.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank jsefamily
Reviewed 6 June 2012

Ihave stayed at this hotel on the average of 6-8 times a year. The staff, Jennifer, Maria, and others are wondefull, and do all they can to please. The rooms are nice, clean, and have decent bathrooms. Sometimes, there is some late night noise when the hotel is packed with kids sport teams. The breakfast buffet is decent, and the cook will usually fix you a little something if you are unhappy with what is offered. All in all, great value for the money!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 May 2012

We stay here when we have business travel, we stay here. Rooms very clean and well maintained. Staff also very helpful.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Two night stay at the star of our vacation for a visit to Legoland.

Was a great hotel. Rooms were clean and modern. Many kids but 5 minutes from Legoland it ways to be expected.

Buffer breakfast was a bit underwhelming but above average. Had dinner at the Outback which was just outside the hotel.

Would book again in a minute.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Tdot_chick09
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We were down watching or son play college ball and stayed here because it was right across from the ballpark. The hotel was clean, beds comfortable..the only complaint I have regarding this hotel was that there was no early check in. We got there at Noon and were told our room was not ready. We went back at 245 and were told our room was not ready still..hard to believe there was not a clean room available 15 minutes before the "official" check in. Others in our party complained of the same thing...in fact as we sat by the pool another guest said the same thing happened to him the day before. The staff could improve in this dept.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank urbie28
bwillard, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winter Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2012

Good Morning,
I was please to get your review of our hotel. I do know that during the time of Russmatt Spring training it is very hard to get an early check in. I am very sorry we were unable to get you in early, and it is something I have spoken to my Front desk agents about. Next time you are coming for a visit and need to get in early please give me a call and I will do my best to get you in!!!! Thank you again for staying with us and I look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 27 March 2012

We booked here for a surprise trip to my 5 and 9 year old for Legoland. I chose the Holiday Inn for the reviews on this site, name recognition and most of all the distance from Legoland. (Just 3 miles!). We flew down, rented a car and drove the 1 1/2 hours to the hotel. I knew we would be getting in late because of a late flight and should have let the hotel staff know, but neglected to do so. My son developed a fever on the day of the trip. We pressed on because everything was payed for and hoped for the best. Between surprising the kids and my son getting sick I was stressed out. To make matters worse on the way to the hotel a section of the interstate was shut down and I had to use the gps on my phone to find an alternate route. We were tired and grumpy and just wanted to get to the hotel as soon as possible. When I went to check in I told the clerk, "I'm late". Her response was "Why are you late?". I gave the short version that I had trouble getting here with my gps. She said, "Why didn't you call me?" I said, "I was using my phone as my gps." She started working on her keyboard and handed me my room key. I told her that I had called earlier that morning and asked for a rollaway bed. To which she said, "Funny, I've been here since 11am" Basically, she was calling me a liar. She said IF I called then the bed should be in the room and if not to call her. I have never had such rude customer service! I did not complain about her because I didn't want to waste time on my trip for that. I had contact with another desk clerk later that was pleasant and professional. When we got to our room, it was clean and my rollaway bed was sitting there waiting for us. As to the air conditioner that I read in other reviews, it was loud, but cool. Besides, that first desk clerk, the only negative that I have is the shower. I stayed in room 606. There was no pressure in the shower. My mom and I joked that we could get a better shower with a squirt gun! We did not use the restaurant. There is an Outback and Red Lobster within walking distance. We did enjoy IHOP and Denny's on the way to our Legoland trips. I would probably go here again if I'm in the area, but more likely to speak up about things the next time around.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Thank you so much for your review of my hotel. First and for most let me say how sorry I am for the way you were taken care of upon check in. I do want you to know that an employee being rude to any of my guest is unacceptable. I do hope you will come back and give us the chance to prove that to you!!!! Again I am very sorry!!!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Winter Haven
Holiday Inn Express Lake Wales N - Winter Haven
Howard Johnson Inn - Winter Haven FL
Best Western Auburndale Inn & Suites
Winter Haven Gardens Inn & Banquet Center

Been to Holiday Inn Winter Haven? Share your experiences!