“Terrific cost effective option close to Legoland”
Review of Lake Roy Beach Inn

Lake Roy Beach Inn
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Winter Haven
Reviewed 12 November 2012

We stayed here Nove 1-4 and I really liked this place! Its not for someone used to staying in modern hotels. I would describe it as being "shabby chic." Pay the extra for a beachview room and ask for one on the far side from the highway. The views are gorgeous and the little porch/screened patio areas are awesome for relaxing and enjoying a glass of wine. The little sand pit area, sandy beach, and pool kept my son well entertained. If you have beach toys, bring them! There was a fridge in the room and a decent TV with lots of channels. The water was nice and hot and there was plenty of water pressure! The owners are great - Jimmy and Susan, and their maintenance man is also super nice! The only thing was that one night we had neighbors (on the opposite wall) and it was SO noisy. The walls are paper thin - it seemed like the people were actually in our room. The rest of the time we had the whole wing to ourselves so it was great. Nice and close to Legoland (our destination). There is a Dollar General and a Publix grocery store down the way for any necessities, some decent restaurants and a great custard place called Little Dipper nearby. We also enjoyed going to the drive-thru convenience store for a novel experience (just a bit further down from the custard shop).

Room Tip: Get a beachview on the opposite side of the parking lot. Consider renting the adjoining room too (si...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank MarissaJW

Reviewed 21 October 2012

We stayed in a 2 room unit which is nice with kids. My only complaint was that it was too expensive. 140 is just too much for this hotel. If t were under 100 I'd say its worth it. It definitely needs updating

We were not sure who was running the place either. John the Maintenance man pretty much took care of us from start to finish. He was really great but seemed to be in charge of this hotel and the hotel across the street. Things were just a little disorganized but, all in all, the place was quaint. Not sure I would stay there again but the experience overall was not bad

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 18 October 2012

I wasn't expecting great things after reading the reviews, so I was prepared for the the room. It was old and the counters were chipped and some of the furniture was broken. The tv didn't have good reception and the light didn't work properlly.
It was very peaceful and nice in the back, being on the lake. My kids did have fun splashing in the lake, though the "beach" was pretty disappointing. It was a 10' strip of sand filled with grass.
The owners were very pleasant and helpful and it was a GREAT location. Minutes from Lego Land and very close to restaurants, grocery stores and shopping.
If you want a resort type hotel, this is not the place for you; but if you want something quiet and convenient, then it is.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 September 2012

We were going to Legoland and decided on this hotel. It is a little dated but otherwise a great choice. It reminds me of "old Florida" style and is a 20 year old hotel. If you want to book a regular room (via bookit.com or travelocity, etc.) they only book the standard rooms for that. They do have very nice, large updated rooms and townhouses available but you have to call them direct since it is not offered on those sites. They have a continental breakfast in the morning..coffee, juice, donuts, bagels, fruits, yogurts and cereal. ..nothing special but it's fine.
This place is about 2 miles away from Legoland and there are many restaurants and stores for shopping in the area. Winter Haven is a very nice little town!Everyone one is exceptionally nice and we would definitively stay again!! Even the regular guests I guess alot of them come every year) were SO nice, I think I adopted another family when we were there!! Highly recommended! Don't expect the Ritz but if your not snobby and just want a friendly place to call home for a few days or a week and meet some really great people while fishing, boating or just hanging out by the lake bbq'ing...this is the place for you!-The ratings that I am giving are based on the "older standard room" that I rented.

Room Tip: Call direct to request a room or townhouse facing the lake..it is about $20.00 more but probably we...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank cloee d
Reviewed 20 September 2012

I took a chance and went to check out this hotel on the Winter Haven Cain of Lakes. The entire experience was great! The suite had a lake view and was only about fifty feet from the beach.
The managers were very nice and helpful. The pool was clean, but we usually swam in the lake.
The grounds were very nicely landscaped. We even had the continental breakfast every morning.
The only negative was the $10 a night they hit me up to keep the boat there.
I'll go back!
Rick

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rick S
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We stayed at the end of May - there was an Ironman in town. We arrived late and were happy to see owners had waited for us as we had called from the road to notify them we were behind schedule. They were very gracious, polite and helpful. We stayed in one of the renovated rooms and were pleasantly surprised by the size and cleanliness of the room - plenty big and spacious for myself, husband and two kids. We awoke early the next morning and had time to walk around the property before breakfast. The lake provides a beautiful view, and the pool was very well kept. While I did notice a few areas that needed touching up, they did not impact my stay in terms of comfort and safety. I'm not really clear on the complaints from other reviewers. We would stay here again without hesitation, and I've already recommended the hotel to friends and family traveling in that area.

Room Tip: ask for a suite
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank s_a_miami_Miami
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Excellent location, close to new Legoland Florida. Rooms are dated and kind of smelly, old window A/C kind of noisy.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family