“Not one bad room but two....”

Winter Haven Gardens Inn & Banquet Center
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Winter Haven
Abbeville, Alabama, USA
“Not one bad room but two....”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

This is the worst place ever. I had opened the door to the room and it had a bad smell. I turned on the ACand the front of it fell on the ground you could see the outside. The Ac did not work at all. I wen to the front desk and told them. They placed me into another room that was terrible. The Bathroom had Ring aroung TUb anb " BLACK" mold where the grout should have been.
The sink stil had hair in it. The person who cleaned must have tossed the dust onto the sink and left it there. This is the worst ever. I asked for a refund and went to a better hotel...

Room Tip: The best Tip i can give you is to Avoid at all cost. Just because it is cheap dosen't mean its w...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 12 August 2013

The room was disgusting. We checked in and had to leave immediately. The room smelled like smoke. It was dirty. I asked my child to not touch anything. I gave the hotel a chance and asked for a different room which was worse. Three roaches greeted us and the bathroom had a whole in the wall and was dirty, shower was full of dirt. as we walked to the second room we should have realized what we got ourselves into because there were buckets down the hallway holding water leaking from the ceiling. Go to a different hotel. We left and went to the holiday inn and were able to sleep much better. The pictures on the website must be photoshopped because the place is not clean at all.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere beware
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Patty C

Travellers are raving about these Winter Haven hotels

Lake City, Florida
Reviewed 11 August 2013

My son and I stayed here for two nights. The price we got for the room was really good and I feel like the hotel lived up to that price. The staff was very nice and the facilities were clean. There was a fire alarm from a lady on another floor who was doing in her room that caused smoke, but there was no actual fire. I would stay here again if I was in that area and needed a good priced hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Reviewed 4 August 2013

This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. We had two rooms and both smelled terrible. There were pet stains on the carpet. The walls were stained. The air conditioner in one of the rooms only put out barely cool air. The tub was dirty and the bathroom door wouldn't close. Our daughter went to Walmart and bought sheets, blankets and sleeping bags so we didn't have to sleep on the questionable sheets. We had booked two rooms for two days and only stayed the one night.

Room Tip: Since some people rated this hotel above a one, there must be some rooms that are not as terrible as...
2 Thank 769Pam
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Me and my husband stayed here and despite the bad reviews i read, i decided to try it out for myself and see how bad can it really be with such great prices. My experience at this hotel was great, there's a huge clean pool, the customer service was awesome/helpful and our room was beautiful. this place was recently taken over by a new management and we have to understand that they are bringing it back from dead, which is not done overnight. My stay was perfect and i am sure this place is going to get even better as time goes by.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank traveler g
Miami
Reviewed 28 July 2013

When I booked this place, the pics looked good. I just needed a place to sleep, as I was going to be in LEGOLAND for the 2 full days I was there. When we walked in, we noticed the stained carpet. That was just the beginning. The towels that were in the room had hair on them. Not only the hand towels, but the ones we were to use to dry ourselves of after we shower. There was hair in the bathroom as well and in the sink. Luckily we brought towels with us because we needed them for LEGOLAND. I eventually had to purchase new towels for us to use at LEGOLAND, and use our original towels for the hotel.
When it came time to go to sleep on the first night, we pulled of the top covers to check the bed, and the cover was filled with CHEETOS. Seems like the person before us had a Cheetos fest.
I went to the front office to get some new covers and let them know about the hair. Unfortunately, there was a new girl working the overnight and said she couldn't help me. She took my info to relay it to the Morning crew and manager. I did get clean cover pretty quick. The guy was fast and nice.
The next morning I went to the front office to speak with someone, and they acknowledge that they got the message from the previous night.
So sad to say, that when we returned from LEGOLAND, the beds were made and covers were clean, but the towels still had the hair. I don't even think that they changed the towels.

We did see people who live there, not a issue for us. It is what it is, and they have a right to choose where they want to live. They did not bother us one bit.

We had a great time at LEGOLAND, but going back to the hotel every night was a drag.
We are going back to LEGOLAND next summer, but not at this hotel.

2 Thank emilioc_11
Aubrey, Texas
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We needed a place to sleep and swim. Winter Haven Suites fit the bill. The room (204 overlooking pool) was clean and comfy. The pool is huge and clean. Check in was easy. We saw the long term residents that others have mentioned - not a big deal (everyone has to work and live somewhere). I was traveling alone with my 8 year old and never felt unsafe. We'd definitely stay here again. My only complaint was the spotty wifi.