“Wonderful TAPAS in WinterPark FL”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of mi Tomatina - CLOSED

mi Tomatina
Price range: US$29 - US$31
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Pennsylvania Avenue
Denver, Colorado
“Wonderful TAPAS in WinterPark FL”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

mi Tomatina paella bar is in the heart of Winter Park. A small friendly place with more tables outside on the sidewalk and side than on the inside. The servings are all wonderful, small portion enough for everyone to taste, wonderfully seasoned, and presented. We started with the TAPAS TRAY - BANDJEGA DE TAPAS, Croquetas Jamon, Empanadas Chorizo, Albondigas & Tortilla Española (all delicious); and then onto a 1/ BABY OCTOPUS – PULPO EN VINAGRETA - Baby octopus cooked to perfection, then chilled and tossed in shallot & roasted pepper vinaigrette, 2/ HONEY LAVENDER LOCAL SHRIMP on a Bed of fresh baby greens, and 3/ SHRIMP ARROPADAS
- Jumbo Florida shrimp wrapped in Serrano ham. I had the Octopus, and it was cooked wonderfully, delicate and not the rubbery-texture that my wife and many others to do like. This was one of the best Octopus dishes I have ever had. And then we ended our evening with a trio of FLAN, Vanilla custard, caramel drizzle; CREMA CATALANA
Lemon custard, caramelized sugar; and SAN MARCOS CAKE, Vanilla rum-soaked pastry, house made cream, topped with caramelized sugar. We all enjoyed our Bottle of the House Red Wine, and music by the musicians who arrived and seranaded the diners. - We made our reservation online thru OpenTable a month in advance. I chose it out of the blue because it was not too far from the Hyatt Regency Hotel, and OT was offering a 1000pt bonus time, and Spanish and Tapas are something we like a lot. We highly recommend mi Tomatina.

• Visited March 2014

Raleigh, NC
“Good Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

Despite the mixed reviews we had a very good experience. Lovely night to sit outside, Fine service and the seafood paella 2 of us shared was quite good. The wine selection was good too. I would return,

Winter Park, Florida
“Good food - rude Manager”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

I “was” regular at Mi tomatina for the last 3 years, but last weekend I had a reservation at 3 pm for 10 persons after sitting we order two Paellas that took over 1 hour to get them, after finish eating the manager (or I at least is what he said) approach me and told tome “I don’t want to hurry you up but I have a party that need the table” this has never happened to me in any other restaurant I am not planning to come back and recommend it again, the restaurant is being mismanage and service is far from hat used to be…

East Haddam, Connecticut
“Fab Food ~ Lovely Ambiance ~ Great Service ~ Superb Celebration”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

What a "fabulous" Celebration we had on Feb. 15. This was a special surprise for my hubby's birthday and I couldn't have chosen a better place. There were six of us and we were super satisfied from the moment we walked in and were greeted and seated promptly, to the end of our visit. The staff was stupendous and had a thorough knowlede of the imported wines, and adequately answered questions a few of our guests had relating to menu items. The soups and tapas arrived piping hot and the Roasted Butternut Squash Soup was better than grandmas (oops sorry grandma) A variety of tapas disappeared off the plates quickly with great compliments to the chef and second orders of roasted duck and smoked salmon tapas were ordered while we waited for our Paellas.
The Paellas are "exceptional" and something I will be dreaming about - the "Valencia" pork, beef, oxtail and chicken chorizo was out of this world. Everything cooked to perfection. I forgot the name of the other Paella which was seafood with squid, octopus, etc which was so fresh. Everthing was exquistely served. If there was any downside, it was the fact that none of us had any room for the desserts, but we will definitely return. Next will be Sunday Brunch.. MMMMMMmmmm

Orlando, Florida
“Poor service & average food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

We had reservations for 7:30pm on a Friday evening, and arrived on time. This is prime dinner time, so I expected things to be busy, but the whole evening turned out to be a complete mess.

Right off the bat, the host seated us at a table that had not been fully bussed yet. It took 10 more minutes before someone came by to clean it. Not a good start.

Our server was friendly and charming, but he explained that this was his second night, and it showed. He took our drink orders, and disappeared for 20 minutes only to return with bread and no drinks. 15 minutes later, he returned with our drinks, and took our order: a single large entree of paella. So 45 minutes in, our food was finally getting cooked...or so we thought. You could chalk this up to a bad server, but all around me I could see other tables (with a different server) still waiting for food and drinks. Halfway through the meal, I noticed they began pouring wine into mugs and water glasses, because they ran out of clean wine glasses. How does that even happen?

90 MINUTES LATER, at 9:40pm, we finally received our food. it was good, but not exceptional, and certainly not worth the 2 hours we had invested up to this point. Add on another 30 minutes to receive and pay our bill, and we had been there over 3 hours for a mediocre meal.

It's a shame that such a great location is going to waste, because their service is terrible, and the food does not even come close to making up for it.