“Ready to Put My Feet Up!”
Review of The Alfond Inn

The Alfond Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Winter Park
Orlando, FL and Oberaudorf, DE
“Ready to Put My Feet Up!”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

After dining, a business Luncheon, in the Alfond Inn, I was ready to put up my feet and relax in one of their oh-so-comfy chairs scattered around the halls, convention areas, and lobby! A feeling of New York sophistication and a casual air of California chic, the public rooms set the mood for the wonderful decor. As an art lover, I enjoyed the paintings placed throughout the hotel more than the luncheon! Although not a huge selection of dishes for brunch or luncheon, I was there during some of the Inn's opening days; but my husband enjoys the free coffee during the days; but we also love, love, LOVE the cocktails. A fine bar service in this town is something quite special, so we will wait out the small kinks in the dining menu, but will most definitely use the bar there for a great meeting place. The gorgeous conservatory seems made for concert presentations or casual music listening. With the fine Rollins College music department within walking distance, I anxiously look forward to all music events at the Inn. For me, that would make it heavenly!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank RhythmA5678

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
winerunner
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Our second visit to the Alfond was another 5-star experience. We came to Winter Park for the Concourse d'Elegance and it was fun to see some of the elegant cars on display in front of the hotel when we arrived. And kudos to the valets who treated us with respect and efficiency as we pulled up in my doggie-mom car, the Prius :) Check-in was efficient and -as we were early -the concierge offered to hold our bags while we took the short stroll to Park Ave.
The rooms are spacious and quiet -appreciate the conveniences such as wall-attached reading lights, refrigerator, robes and the sizeable bathroom with walk-in shower.
There is a beautiful courtyard and multiple seating areas-some with cozy fire pits. The exercise room has the latest equipment and the pool and surrounding area is nice with very comfortable loungers and upper-level views of Winter Park.
We wined and dined at Hamilton's Kitchen--great service/cuisine (seafood and quinoa cooked to perfection and appreciate the lack of supersizing). Seating available outside under the stars makes for a romantic night or great celebration/party.
We'll be back to the Alfond Inn for another w-end of serious relaxation...

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank winerunner
Winter Park, Florida
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I am an Orlando area doctor. My partners and I recently had a business dinner at the hotel. The hotel is beautiful! But appearances may only be skin deep. My wife and I were enjoying a walk on Park Ave and decided to park away from the hotel as the driveway looked like a zoo. As we walked over, we saw two valet attendants parking cars in this side lot. I immediately recognized one car as it belonged to a partner. The driver of the car was stopping abruptly, peeling out - both forward and reverse - while trying to park the car! I went over to tease my partner, only to discover the valet was "parking" the car! (My partner was not amused...)

Upon entering the lobby, my wife and I were not approached or greeted. Concierge appeared aloof and busy with paperwork. We went over to Hamilton's Kitchen and found excellent direction, and service, from that point on.

The food is Southern style - a bit too much garlic and butter for my taste - but food was lukewarm at best for all items. Aside from this, I found the food well prepared, flavorful, and with standard presentation. Service staff were excellent!

Would I go again? No, not for any business dinner but maybe for a quick cocktail. The atmosphere is too noisy - even in the "private room" (private only because of a curtain). Orlando has too many options for fine cuisine and this restaurant is more suitable for hotel guests. Compared to some of the rat infested places on Park (and you know who you are Park Plaza!), the food shines, but falls short of some of Orlando's 'better places' (Victoria & Albert's, Ritz Carlton, Ravenous, K, etc). Still, better than most places on Park Ave - but perhaps that's not saying much either.

Definitely be forewarned - do not use the valet! Aside from my partner's car, I saw similar "service" to a 5 series BMW, S class Mercedes, and an Aston Martin DB9. If you own any of these vehicles and visited this hotel recently, check your tire treadwear!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Steve L
Kyle T, Manager at The Alfond Inn, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Greetings. We are very appreciative of your recent visit to The Alfond Inn, however after carefully reading your review, we were very disappointed to see that you were left with a somewhat tarnished impression of our Valet Services. We do strive for excellence, and this is certainly not the type of impression we would like to leave you with as one of our distinguished guests. As you noted during your visit, we had a particularly busy evening that night, with two large events held at the Hotel, with “no rooms at the Inn” remaining as well. The Valet Department was well staffed, but was tasked with working at capacity for the duration of the evening.

Regarding the parking of the cars in a side lot, I am not sure I understand the location that you speak of, as we use our own Valet parking lot on the East side of the building exclusively, with any overflow being directed to the Sun Trust Parking Garage. The side parking lots are private, to our west at Samuel B Lawrence Center by Rollins College, and to our east the Winter Park Public Library. The only other parking lot in the vicinity is operated by a separate Valet company which services some of the nearby Park Avenue Restaurants. Please allow me to share that we have carefully selected our own staff who must have impeccable driving records, and are highly trained in customer service, rather than using a contracted service provided.

With all this being said, I do sincerely apologize that you were not greeted at the door. This is normally something we make a point of and I do regret that you were not immediately made welcome upon your arrival. I was elated to hear, however, that you enjoyed your meal, and that the service in Hamilton’s Kitchen was above par. At not quite 3 months new, one thing that we are focused on is the acoustics in Hamilton’s Kitchen. Additional acoustical panels will be installed before the year end in order provide a more appropriate and enjoyable environment for our guests.

We thank you for taking the time to let us know your impressions, and to welcome your return to The Alfond Inn when your time allows so we can share the art of customer service and hospitality with you appropriately. Please contact me directly so that we may have the honor of your next visit.

From the heart,
Deanne Gabel, General Manager
Port Orange, Florida, United States
Reviewed 6 November 2013

My Wife and I chose to stay at the Alfond Inn for our 1 year anniversary. The hotel is located in a great location right in the heart of Winter Park, about a 2 minute walk from Park Ave. Everything about the hotel and grounds is extremely spacious and luxurious and still has that "new" smell and look to it.

We arrived early to check our bags and explore Park Ave. Check in time is listed at 4:00 so we made dinner reservations for 6:00 at Luma on Park. Housekeeping was running a little behind but we were given free drink vouchers to the hotel bar which was very nice. However, by 4:30 our room was still not ready and we were told it would probably be another 30 to 40 minutes. We were concerned we would not make make it to dinner on time, but the staff was able to accommodate us and find us a room that was available as well as upgrade us to a Luxury Suite (which was absolutely amazing). We appreciated them going above and beyond to ensure that we had a pleasant stay.

Although we only stayed 1 night and didn't have time to explore all of the Alfond Inn, we would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone that is planning on staying in the Winter Park area.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a spell since we wanted to explore Winter Park and its surroundings. The hotel was opened recently and still smelled "new". Rooms are spacious and well equipped. Friendly, courteous staff. Well stocked bar. Nice courtyard where you can sit and enjoy the evening over a glass of wine. Pool and gym are good. Valet parking comes at $18 a day. If you are looking for a place in winter park, you should consider this hotel.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 187331Dan
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 26 October 2013

The Alfond Inn is a beautifully designed space with wonderful artwork on the walls. You will find spacious areas to relax, including around the inviting pool. The restaurant, Hamilton's, was a great choice for a full breakfast. The food was very good, and it's presentation appealing.
Our room was large, with French doors opening to a wide balcony. I assume outdoor seating will be added soon. It was nice to find a small refrigerator in the room, and it is not stocked as a minibar so it is actually usable. The onlyy thing that surprised me in the room was no plugs for electronics--it is a brand new hotel.
Service, starting with valet & front desk and including the restaurant, was personable and capable.
Located two blocks from the shops & restaurants on Park Avenue, The Alfond Inn offered proximity to the action and respite from the activity. I recommend the Saturday morning Farmer's Market as a destination within easy walking distance.
Whatever your reason for visiting Winter Park, you will enjoy The Alfond Inn.

Room Tip: Higher floor for less street traffic noise