“Watch the world go by.”

Park Plaza Hotel Winter Park
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Winter Park
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We did not stay here, but Park Plaza has a very nice bar, which opens out onto the street. We spent a wonderful few hours sitting here watching the world go by. The service was excellent and the choices of 'bar' meals was vey good. For those who want more the restaurant looked very good and was very popular. We left with a warm contented glow and definitely visit again.

Room Tip: Get a table on, or near the street.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 9 March 2014

We loved our stay in February. We check in they were nice to give us a upgrade to a suite.
The room was the old time charm with the modern amenities. The bathroom was small , but oh that bath tub was so deep and nice for a wonderful bath.
The breakfast was very good. Muffins yummy. coffee and juice great.
We had heard it would be noisy but we slept very well.
It was close to everything.
We would stay there again

Reviewed 8 March 2014

First, the Bad:

NOISE NOISE NOISE! No matter which side of the hotel you are on, you will want to remember your ear plugs. Whether it's noise from the bars across the street or trains behind the building or drunken patrons across the hall, THIS. PLACE. IS. NOISY.

ITTY BITTY/OUTDATED/DIRTY BATHROOM! Every person in our party (in two different rooms, from 5'2" - 6'2") had to literally step over the toilet in order to use it. The towel rack was rusted halfway through. The tile on the front and primary shower walls had black grime throughout the grout. I was able to remove some of it with my fingertip and, therefore, complained to the management that this needed to be taken care of. It wasn't. And watch your step - you have to step up into the bathroom (and duck your head if you're tall).

NOT ENOUGH OUTLETS! I had to unplug something in the room in order to plug my laptop in. The desk lamp did not work. AND the wi-fi or instructions on logging into it is not duly noted. I had to call the front desk to ask if it was available. The tv required a bit of knowledge we didn't have and so we thought it wasn't working for the first two days of our stay before asking management to help (which it did, thankfully).

NO IRONS/IRONING BOARDS! Apparently, they have a very limited supply of these that are available upon request. But you wouldn't know that unless you asked.

OUTDATED ROOM SERVICE MENU AND PHONE! They present to you a very lovely, multiple paged menu from the adjacent restaurant for room service, 11am-11pm. When you press on the "room service" button on the telephone, you get nothing. So you ring the front desk and ask for help and the front desk tells you, "Oh, that's because the room service button doesn't work" before giving you the local number to the restaurant next door WHO THEN TELLS YOU the menu you have is outdated and before you can order anything they'll bring a current menu to you (that you won't be able to retain for future ordering as they'll want to keep it in the restaurant for use at that day/night's service). When trying to go into said restaurant for an after-dinner drink, chairs are already heaped upon tables as staff is cleaning up for closing and it's barely 10:20pm.

BEDS SO-SO: My queen was quite comfortable but my companion (and I and everyone else who sat on it) had to find our bearings to not bounce off her twin.

SMALL/CRAMPED & SOMEWHAT DUSTY ROOMS/: Some people call this charming.

Now, the Good:

NO VALET PARKING FEE.

STAFF IS TRULY GREAT ... truly... unless they have a sudden rush of business in which case, at least during our stay, they kind of fall apart and become snippy.

BREAKFAST DELIVERED TO YOUR ROOM every morning, the same thing: ginormous blueberry muffins, coffee, orange juice... you have to dial down for it each morning and if you need anything different from the above said you must request it (for instance, bottled water, or decaf or tea instead of coffee) ... but I doubt they'd offer anything significantly different, not even cold cereal as this seemed a well-oiled machine). It was all very tasteful and the staff delivering it was charming and respectful if ever catching you in your nightgown (ahem).

RIGHT IN THE THICK OF IT on Park Ave. Just about everything within walking distance, if all you want to do is tool around Winter Park. Good restaurants, fun bars, Rollins College, a 7-Eleven, Winter Park Fish Market, Prato ... where I had the single best trout meal I have ever eaten in my entire lifetime; so great that I took the leftovers back to the hotel and ate them cold in the morning instead of the blueberry muffin - and it was STILL a wonderful (second) meal!

I have debated giving this review 3 stars (average) or 2 stars (poor) and, ultimately, it gets 2 stars from me because of all the aforementioned negatives but also because of those negatives AND being priced at $200/nt minimum. You can get all these same services (short of breakfast in bed) with having to drive or walk a bit further for $100+/- less per night elsewhere. Orlando is NOT that big a city to get around in, especially if you're there for reasons other than visiting the theme parks.

Unless you've got cash and earplugs to spare and don't mind the inconveniences (and a little filth) stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank jillpatrick
Reviewed 20 February 2014

i made the mistake, as some others did too, of not reading all the reviews. i had to find a room for one night, after 2 wonderful nights at the new competition hotel down the street. this came up as having a room available, and now i know why. probably the worst hotel i have ever spent a night in, and it wasnt cheap!!! the location is great, and i was going for convenience, but i wont do it again! i was given a room on the back side of the hotel which was right out of a horror movie. limited, aged furniture, bad lighting, miniscule bathroom(which was cute but too small to turn around in) even smaller closet and window, a tv screen the size of an ipad(no exaggeration), and an air conditioning remote that you need an engineering degree to operate. the train went by at 530 am and again at 545, and between that and the paper thin walls there was no going back to sleep. bedding was adequate but nothing great, and no bedside table on "my side" of bed...when i was leaving in the am, and believe me i left quickly, i peeked into the rooms on the park ave side of the hotel, and they looked very nice, especially compared to my "closet" of a room. i would never take the chance of booking here again, and paying $$$ for a dump of a room. book early and stay down the street at the new place in town.

Room Tip: if you must stay here, ask for park ave side accomodation..dont stay on back side. you'll be sor...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank atravelingmom1156
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Over the past 10 years or so, my wife and I have fallen in love with the Park Plaza Hotel in Winter Park, Florida. For those that don't know, Winter Park is a great little community, tucked away within Orlando, Florida. For business travelers, Winter Park is about 7-10 minute drive from downtown Orlando, and Lake Mary, and about 25 minutes to the theme park attractions and International Drive. I've chosen to stay at the Park Plaza many times when in town for business meetings, rather then the chaos of the tourists areas, Orlando is know for. The Park Plaza a Hotel is situated right on Park Avenue, in the heart of Winter Park, and has some of the best selection of restaurants anywhere you will ever be. Luma on Park is about 10 steps outside the hotel, and has a fantastic bar area, and great ambiance. It is perfect for hanging out in the evenings, entertaining clients, or having dinner with someone special. The numerous wine bars along Park ave are great for trying a new glass of wine, or beer, and my personal favorite was the specialty Cigar shop nearby the hotel (I'm a cigar aficionado). If you desire Steak, the former Del Frisco's Steak & Lobster (Now Christner's Prime) is the inky family owned of the franchise, if you've never eaten at s Del Frisco's, you're in for a treat. Make sure to order a lobster tail!! I've never seen ones so big.

The hotel itself, is on par in my opinion with a Ritz Carlton, or any other high end hotel. The emphasis on service, and attention to detail is right up there with any other high end hotel you will stay at. The beauty, in my opinion of the Park Plaza, is that it is one of the few boutique, family owned hotels still around. The Spang family has owned the hotel for over 40 years, and quite often you will see the smiling faces of either Mindy, or her sister Suzy working the front desk. My wife loves going downstairs in the morning to grab a Starbucks (about 100 ft away) and then reading the New York Times while sitting on our balcony overlooking a Park avenue. Another thing we both love, is the quality and feel of the bedding and linens. That is a big priority for us when we travel, for work or travel, and whatever they use, is fantastic. I love the bedding!!!

It's really great being able to stay at the hotel, and not having to worry about driving anywhere once we get there. We can shop on the weekends up and down park ave, everything we want to eat is right there. My wife's grandmother loves the Morse museum down the street, which is home to the worlds largest collection of Tiffany Glassworks. Any time I have an hour to kill, I have to take the Winter Park boat tour, it's a tour of the 5 lakes in Winter spark, and the beauty will blow you away, and give you a new appreciation of Central Florida, you never knew was possible.

I highly recommend staying at the Park Plaza Hotel, try to get one of the rooms with a balcony if possible, I personally enjoy the people watching.

Hope this helps others.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

As you have probably read already there are slim pickings for hotels close to Park Ave which is the main street to be on for shopping and dining in Winter Park, as a matter a fact the Park Plaza Hotel is thee only option right on the Ave.. There are options close by but if you want to take in all that Park Ave. has to offer, eat, and drink it up then you need to stay here. It is charming, no doubt but with charming and especially rustic, there are trade offs. First trade off, the hotel is noisy. From outside noise if you have a room or suite that faces Park Ave. to street noise, and restaurant noise late in to the night ( like 2:00 a.m. to be exact ). Then you have trains that come by right behind the hotel which actually is soothing to me but maybe not to others. Then you have room noise from others coming and going at all hours. Then do not forget the very creaky wood floors. While looking at them are visually appealing, walking on them will wake any light sleeper in your room. The staff was great and there is free valet parking which is a needed item when in the very parking limited Park Ave. area. We stayed in a Park Ave facing suite #220 which has a porch and it was very nice, quaint, but lots of outside noise from the bars across the street late into the night. I would not go with kids for a multitude of reasons.

Room Tip: Get a room that does not face Park Ave if you are alight sleeper, especially on the weekend. Lots of...
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

The room is tiny but quaint. Clean enough. I even like creaking hard wood floor and don't mind a tiny bathroom. The young man at the front desk was friendly. However the bed was not comfortable and my spouse and I kept rolling into each other. The walls are paper thin and we could hear someone coughing from all the way down the hall, could hear any steps anyone took at any time in the hallway. Perhaps due to not sleeping because of the train people seemed to be walking around all night. The train is just feet away and blows its horn at least every hour. This is a major issue. I wore earplugs and still did not sleep more than a 1/2 the entire night. We stayed in a room that is not on the balcony side- I hear that side has street noise to boot. It is cute in a historic way but not a place to actually sleep.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Central Business District
DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando Downtown
Central Business District
Grand Bohemian Hotel Orlando, Autograph Collection

Been to Park Plaza Hotel Winter Park? Share your experiences!