“Run for the hills!!!”

Englewood, Florida
“Run for the hills!!!”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

An Ode to the Florida Hotel, Yulee, FL
How do I loathe thee, let me count the ways:
1. Newly Renovated! REALLY?!?!?!?!
2. No pool.
3. No phones in room.
4. No dresser in room.
5. No closet bar to hang clothes.
6. No refrigerator. (Optional)
7. No microwave. (Optional)
8. Hot & cold faucets backwards on sink.
9. Faucets in shower barely work. Did have a new shower head!
10. Water smelled like sulfur, couldn’t drink or shower.
11. Black mold that had been painted over and was still showing up around the repair and in between tiles in shower.
12. Room numbers missing on most rooms, so you have to find a room with numbers and count from there to find your room.
13. Smoke detector was only half way up wall.
14. Lobby was locked with no one in lobby. I had to call a number and wait for the attendant to come to the lobby. BTW, I think he was the only one working at the Hotel.
15. I have been on the road as a salesman, all over the country, for 38+yrs. and never been in a motel/hotel THIS BAD.
16. No maid service to change towels or make bed.
17. So much static on TV that you almost couldn’t watch.
18. NOTHING around the Hotel for miles. Pizza delivery had a $4 delivery charge just to come to that Hotel.
19. Reservation says under MEALS: “Breakfast included in room rate.” REALLY?!?!? Where?!?!?!
20. Probably should have slept in the car!
21. Hotel rating should be a negative 10 stars!!
This reservation was made on 6/30/14. On 7/13/14 I received a call from the Hotel saying “My Credit Card had been declined!” and they wanted me to give them a CC over the phone. I wasn’t about to give someone that I didn’t know that over the phone without checking into it further. They said they couldn’t hold the room, for the 17th &18th, without the CC. I could understand this, but I knew that my CC was good, so I wanted a better explanation from Priceline. I called and was told that the reservation was actually made thru Booking.Com, their “Sister” company and was given their number. I called them and found out that my reservation had been sent to the Hotel the day that I made the reservation, but the Hotel didn’t process it in the time allotted by Booking.Com, so they blank out the CC information on the reservation for my protection. I called the Hotel and asked what the CC number was that they were trying to process, and they said it was “BLANK”. I explained to the attendant THAT is different than being DECLINED. The person didn’t seem to understand or care. Booking.com said that they did business with the Hotel and it was OK to give them my CC information, so I did. Upon checking in, on the 17th, I was told that my room wasn’t paid for and my CC had been DECLINED again and I needed to give a CC for it. I looked at the information that was sent to the Hotel about my reservation from Booking.Com and saw that my CC information had been written in at the bottom, obviously from the call I made to the Hotel to secure the room. They still had not tried to process the CC. The CC information was in plain sight for anyone to see, which upset me greatly. I was shown that the owner had written “Room not paid for” at the bottom of the page. The owner wasn’t there and wouldn’t be for a week. It was an extremely awful experience and would advise anyone wanting to stay there to “RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN”!!! (Priceline Booking #: 650.489.203)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Scott S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Catonsville, Maryland
Reviewed 5 July 2014

This was my first experience using Booking.com. Hopefully it is not representative of the properties they represent.

Words cannot adequately describe the first room I was given. The stench of mildew hung in the room. There was a layer of mold along the headboard of the bed. The room had no microwave or refrigerator.

The next room was slightly better. The complimentary breakfast was an invitation to food poisoning: cereal was stale, juice dark and crusty, and the milk was spoiled/sour.

The pictures on the website are not representative of the actual property.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel/motel in the area or go to Amela Island or Fernandina Beach!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank mcbruzdzinski
FLHotel, Manager at Florida Hotel, responded to this review, 9 January 2015
Dear Guest, we have resolved many of the issues you mentioned by replacing all our A/C recently. We hope you will give us the opportunity to show you the positive changes in the future.

Mgmt

Travellers are raving about these Yulee hotels

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We started feeling a little concerned when we saw the sign at the desk that said no phones in rooms. OK, that is not real important as most people now a days have their own phones. Avi, the front desk person was pleasant and polite. He gave us a room on the court yard side on the first floor. We grabbed our bags and headed to the room. The moment I stepped into the room I was hit with a "wall" of moist hot air. I was also hit with a strong smell of mold and mildew. I have lived in Florida off and on over the years and I understand fighting mold is a constant battle, but this was very strong. We started checking the room. Hanging on the clothes rack was a dehumidifier bag. When I saw the mold and mildew all over the furniture in the room, we decided it was time to get out.

Avi, did get us another room without any trouble, but I checked it out pretty thoroughly first. There was some mildew in the TV cabinet, but by that time we decided it was livable as we were tired. Do note: THERE IS NO WIFI in the rooms. The only internet provided is in the lobby, which is locked up most of the time. There is no ice, as the machine looks like it has been broken for some time. The pool is not filled.

The next day I was in training, but my fiancee decided to try out the continental breakfast provided. He said the cereal would not come out of the container, so he has to go through the top to get some out, which was probably a good idea as he noticed there were layers of different types of cereals in it. Instead of cleaning out the old, they were just pouring in the new cereal. The milk in the fridge was so old that the carton had expanded under the pressure. The same could be said for the juices provided. Needless to say he decided to have breakfast somewhere else.

In the future, if we have to be down there again, we will stay at some of the motels on highway A1A. From what I was told by others, they are 100% better. This is not worth the time or the expense.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank PSkryjaWest
FLHotel, Manager at Florida Hotel, responded to this review, 9 January 2015
Dear Guest, we have resolved many of the issues you mentioned by replacing all our A/C recently. Our ice machines are all fully functional and operating at this time. We hope you will give us the opportunity to show you the positive changes in the future.

Elkton, Maryland
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We were in a second floor room. I wish I had taken pictures. There was no running water, and when we contacted the front desk, they were unaware of the problem and had to call someone to fix it. My husband stayed up until after 1am waiting for a trickle of water to come out of the faucet so that he could fill a trash can with water to flush the toilet. We had to brush teeth with bottled water of my own supply, flushing a toilet with water collected in a trash can, and by morning had a frigid barely more than a trickle shower. I'm pretty low maintenance, but I expected a refund for this abominable stay. Nothing like days on the road and not being able to bathe your children or use the toilet. When I complained about the water situation, I acknowledged that we had slept in the establishment, as my small children were already asleep and my husband had unloaded a lot of heavy things from the car before discovering the water issue. I felt reasonable to expect at least a 50% refund for the inconvenience. After making me wait through the weekend to supposedly discuss the matter with his business associates, the supposed manager's best resolution was to offer me a free night for the future (not useful for a small town in rural Florida unless you are headed back to Orlando) or a $16 refund. Wow. $16. We checked our credit card statement. We were refunded exactly ZERO.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Mindy M
FLHotel, Manager at Florida Hotel, responded to this review, 9 January 2015
Dear Guest, we apologize for the inconvenience. Your water issue was corrected in approximately 2 hours and you were offered a FULL refund if you decided to check-out. You made a decision to stay overnight and were offered a 25% discount the following day. We were happy to offer you a complimentary stay as well. You decided not to accept any of the options offered. Please understand that we tried in every way to accommodate your request.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Driving home to New York, we found The Florida Hotel, and it was the perfect respite. Not only did it have the most unique and beautiful bar, with original glass work and historic local character, but the hotel owner went out of his way to provide a choice bottle of wine (Cabernet), and to make us feel at home and comfortable, and chatted with us about NYC. It really was an unexpected treat and surprise - out in the middle of Florida - and made us feel great, and refreshed us for the rest of our journey. The hotel owner made it a special occasion. It is those personal touches, I believe, that truly create excellence in any business. It was clear he cared a great deal about his hotel, and he wanted his guests to feel their best.
I am grateful, still, for our stay there. I highly recommend, and if I could give The Florida Hotel SIX STARS, I would!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
FLHotel, Manager at Florida Hotel, responded to this review, 9 January 2015
Dear Guest, I remember your visit and am thrilled to see your Positive review!
You are always welcome back and it would be my pleasure to show you the many improvements we have made since your last visit. It is guests such as yourself that make operating such a business a delight. I hope you enjoy your time in New York.

San Diego
Reviewed 8 March 2014

The guy at the front desk was nice, but without Internet, this is a disappointment. We were on the 2nd floor and had only a trickle of water from the sink. The shower wasn't much better. And thanks to the "party" atmosphere, we didn't get much sleep. It was like a parade outside at 3:20 in the morning, and stereos were blaring in cars in the parking lot. Also, no room service and no coffee maker in the room. Try any other place if you must stay in Yulee.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Veloman9
FLHotel, General Manager at Florida Hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear guest, I am disappointed to hear about the issues you encountered during your visit. Our internet is currently being updated and will be available the next time you visit. I would like to remind you that our rate during your visit was 80% more affordable than the next closest hotel in the area. We did not raise our rates due to the local events taking place that week. I hope you enjoy the breakfast area that will be open during your next visit.

Avi
Hilton Head, South Carolina
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I stayed recently after driving for 7hours. After passing multiple fully occupied hotels for at least 10exits, I thought I was out of luck when the cheapest rate with vacancy I found was $135 nearby. The room was extremely clean and I was very pleased with the large flat screen that had many channels available. The second floor was quieter than expected and I liked the nice showerhead in the shower. For $60 I couldn't ask for anything more. Its much nicer than your typical highway hotel. The check in process was fast and lobby seemed well thought out.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank SamthemaNC
Hi Sam, it was a pleasure having you as our guest. It seems that a local traffic incident caused all hotels nearby to raise their rates and fill up. I am happy to hear that you found our rate was reasonable during that evening. We look forward to serving you the next time you are in the area.

Avi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yulee
Best Western Plus First Coast Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn Yulee
Comfort Inn Yulee
#3 of 6 in Yulee
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Yulee
Best Western Plus Kingsland
Motel 6 Kingsland - Kings Bay Naval Base
La Quinta Inn & Suites Kingsland/Kings Bay Naval B

Been to Florida Hotel? Share your experiences!