“Best Fried Chicken!!!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Buffet
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Buffet
Reviewed 14 July 2014

If you aren't from the area, you'd probably skip this one... DON'T!!! Starting at lunch, they have a wonderful buffet with some of the best fried chicken I've ever eaten! Great 'Southern' sides, like mashed potatoes, beans, corn, greens, okra, biscuits... it was great! They also have a breakfast buffet that will make you want to stay all day!

3  Thank danielgeist

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We had the buffet dinner on a Monday night. Traditional country fare...fried and roasted chicken, vegetables, soups, and desserts. Eh. Think the KFC one block away might have been a better choice. Sat next to two elderly men loudly discussing their churches while using some offensive racial terms.

Did it once, won't be back.

1  Thank RYGDWW
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Restaurant had simply home cooked offers and the food was very well prepared. Prices were very affordable

1  Thank Vicky E
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Great food and staff. The variety of food choices was awesome the flavor of the food was perfect I would drive an hour or so to eat at this restaurant.

2  Thank ssn42x2
Reviewed 28 May 2014

On a Saturday morning, before boarding the train in Blue Ridge, my family and I wanted to grab breakfast at a local place. After a quick GPS search we found the Village Restaurant a scant mile away from the train station.
Upon entering the establishment, we were immediately greeted by a friendly person who explained to my 5-year old that she "had been cooking all morning" and had "picked fresh strawberries". She then asked me if I knew the way it worked at the restaurant. After responding that we were visiting, she explained that breakfast was a self-service buffet and customers paid at the end of the buffet line; but we could order from the menu if we preferred. With only 45 minutes until our train, we elected the buffet.
On review of the buffet selection, I noticed the scrambled eggs were undercooked and had remained on the line a bit too long (from the crust on the surface). While refreshing to see fried Spam, biscuits, and sausage gravy on the line, I was disappointed to see the strawberries were not freshly-picked and the other fruit selections from a can. At the end of the line, we were asked our beverage selection; we chose coffee and water for my wife and I and had to buy a sweetened juice drink from the cooler adjacent to the cashier for my daughter as no orange or apple juice selection was available. The coffee was probably fresh three hours earlier; but certainly not at the time of our consumption. Price-wise, I found the $7.95 x 3 a bit excessive for the quality and quantity of food on the line. To ensure I gave a proper review, I looked for an "all-you-can-eat" sign just to ensure that our single serve would be countered at some point by others with bigger appetites; I did not note one anywhere in the establishment.
Food-wise, I found nothing memorable about the fried Spam, sausage links, or eggs. The biscuit I selected tasted wholly of flour, as did the gravy on top--to the point of being inedible, even with copious hot sauce. In fairness, the strawberries were still firm and I expect probably came from a local supermarket a day or two prior.
In summary, if you are visiting this gorgeous region of Georgia, I recommend dining at the local iHop or Waffle House. The Village was surely a disappointment.

5  Thank Rick O

Been to The Village Restaurant? Share your experiences!