“Wonderful family”
Review of Homestay Nepal

Homestay Nepal
Ranked #1 of 3 Kirtipur B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I have recently had the pleasure of staying with Babu and his family. Their homestay is located in the beautiful countyside in the Kathmandu Valley just a few kilometers from the city. From the very first day, his beautiful family made me feel welcome. This is an opportunity to experience life in Nepal with a family who was born and raised in the area. Babu knows everyone and soon you will too!! Meet everyone in the village and enjoy festivals and celebrations in the local area not found in any guide book!!

Belku (Babu's wife) is a wonderful cook who prepares authentic Nepali and Newari cuisine. Breakfast and Dinner are included along with laundry great wi fi connection.
The home is really quiet an comfortable with hot showers and western style toilets.

Babu is an experienced trekking guide and can provide many options for everything from village tours, day hikes, trekking to bungee jumping and rafting. Set your worries aside and let him take care of the details. i had an opportunity to volunteer in his children's school for a week and it was one of my favorite experiences of my trip. I look forward to seeing them again one day very soon.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Justmybackpack

Reviewed 29 August 2012

Wonderful place in this amazing country. Babu's family make you feel a real member of this incredible family. Their house is 20 minutes from Kathmandu, and once there you really appreciate not to stay in the middle of the capital, and in the morning the views from the house are incredible, this green valley is really beautiful. Belku's cook is really amazing! Best of the bests in Nepal! Babu' takes care of us organising everything that we demanded to him, guides to the city, 12 days tous, hotels, van's and buses.... Everything.... And all the family always waiting for us with a big smile in their faces, that was more than staying in a family, that meant meeting another family forever in Nepal.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Miquel P
Reviewed 30 May 2012

As noted by other travelers, Homestay Nepal ran by Babu and his family is a great place to stay in Nepal. Babu will coordinate any activities you like and his goal is to make sure all his guests enjoy their stay so simply ask.

Belku, Babu's wife also makes the best Dal Bhat (rice, lentils, curried vegetables) in Nepal! I've tried others and always prefered Belku's!

Kathmandu can easily be intimidating, Homestay Nepal is in the middle of the rice fields so you get a peaceful place to stay away from the polluted city center.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank Mic C
Reviewed 16 May 2012

Babu's family welcome me again for the second time as a family member and they always there for you and make sure that you can feel home. I came for a second time to volunteer around villages and teaching them the basic first aid course and not wanting to leave and not having any support after I left I asked for a few Nepalease volunteer who would like to assist in teaching and I have a tremendous response from them and the one who give the most of his time it is our friend Babu. Without him it will not have been possible to touch so many people in such a short time, a month that is. Along with me at the homestay they were our Italian friend from Milan who was there to donated to the orphanage food and clothing and again our friend babu and his family makde it possible. I have nothing but such a great experience and such a generous family too. The homestay is very comfortable and the location is fabulous with amazing mountains and breathtaking sunrise! I am planning to return for sure!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Ginette T
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Babu's family welcomes you with open heart and touching hospitality (http://homestay-nepal.com, babu.maharjan@gmail.com). The rooms with vista on the rice fields are very beautiful, calm and really comfortable. Western style bathroom/toilet is very clean and well equipped. Mineral drinking water and internet for free (wireless also possible). Excellent food! Babu organises your whole stay in Nepal if you want. Just ask him!

More...
If you are eager to discover Nepal with your heart and not only with your eyes, then we warmly recommend you considering a stay with Babu and his lovely family in their home in Lanagol near Kathmandu. With big pleasure Babu will unveil the beauty of Kathmandu valley and its treasures to you. As a trekking guide, he can organise your trekking tour with professional competence and carefulness. He is very conscientious and dedicated to every guest's needs. Just let him know what you wish to do and he will organise it all for you (trekking, bus/air ticketing, rafting, paragliding, jungle safari, stay in a Buddhist monastery, etc). He can also take you to one or two days hikes in the surrounding villages and mountains (open air brick factory, mustard oil factory, monasteries,...). Belku (Babu's wife) will take care of your hunger; she cooks very delicious meals.
With many thanks for our memorable stay,

Thierry & Isabelle

Room Tip: Ask for the deluxe room. One of the most beautiful room we have seen in our 6 months world travel.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ThierrySuard
Reviewed 15 March 2012

This is the second time I am to Nepal, and everytime I return from my detours in the country (or to India) to Kathmandu, I stay at Babus homestay. I've been staying here for several weeks altogether, and have this as my resting place in Kathmandu. While central Kathmandu creeps me out with all its noise and people, this is a calm place just at the edge of the Kathmandu valley. Even thought the house is very modern, with perfect western facilities (hot shower, western style toilet, electricity and light even in power cuts, big beds and big rooms with locks etc.), the family really enjoys many of the traditions of newaris and nepalis. If you come to the homestay during one of the numerous holidays, you will definately be invited to join! And if not, you will still be served traditional nepali and newari food, such as dal bhaat, noodle soup, pakoda, chapati with tarkari, beaten rice and different curries, etc.

This place is perfect for many things. If it's your first time to Nepal, Babu will pick you up at the airport and later introduce you to the culture. If you're going trekking, Babu will get a guide and bus or flight tickets for you, and will help you get the permits needed. If you are coming to Nepal for work, the house have WiFi-connection. If you need somewhere to rest after a hard couple of weeks trekking in the mountains, Babu have a nice terrace where you can enjoy the sun and just sit and read.

The only downside would be the distance to the Kathmandu center. But then, how would it be possible to live at the countryside and have close to the center? If you want to get to Kathmandu, you could walk for some twenty minutes and then take the white minibus for about an hour, and you will get to the minibus buspark in Kathmandu for the amazing price of 15 rupees. The taxi takes some fortyfive minutes from Babus house, and Babu will call for a taxi for you. And Kirtipur is much closer, just twenty minutes walk, and have most of the things you would need (actually there is a small shop just neighbouring the homestay where you can buy the most simple like cookies, and maybe even a toothbrush). And Babu is the kind of person who helps you with everything you would need help with.

And Babus family is of course, as many people before me have already said, very nice. You will play check with the son, talk with Babu about politics and Nepals history and taste Belkus wonderful food.

Room Tip: All the rooms are the same. When the rooms get full, he will use friends and other family for rooms...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Andreas G
Reviewed 18 February 2012

It is with great joy and gratitude that I have chosen Babu's homestay during my 8 days stay in Nepal. Babu's homestay is clean, spacious and cosy. I stayed in the deluxe room, which has large windows and beautiful views of their village. The surrounding environment is clean and serene with lots of green fields and mountains..a much-desired escape from the crowded Kathmandu town centre. The hot shower functions perfectly, which is a blessing as I'm terribly afraid of the cold. I also enjoyed the free Wifi, which is fast and consistent in most areas of the house.

Most importantly, however, is that Babu, his wife Belku and his son Aayush treat me as part of their family. I am a solo female traveller, who happened to be the only guest in his homestay at that time, but not once do I ever feel alone or out of place. They always make sure that my needs are well taken care of. We had meals together everyday, sharing daily experiences. Belku is truly a great cook and she puts her heart into every meal that she prepares. Be it dal bhat, cheese toast, chown mein or just tea & cookies, every meal is a delicious joy with the family. Babu and his family truly embrace their guests with open hearts and minds. I highly recommend Babu's homestay for all travellers looking for a heartfelt Nepali experience.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Xinyan

Been to Homestay Nepal? Share your experiences!