“Number 1 place to stay in Nepal!”
Review of Homestay Nepal

Homestay Nepal
Ranked #1 of 3 Kirtipur B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 August 2014

This homestay is incredible. This was my first time visiting Nepal and I went straight from the airport to Babu's home located in a beautiful, peaceful village close to Kathmandu and all the attractions, but far enough away that the air is fresh and the only noises you hear are from daily life in the village. I stayed at the beginning of July, which is Monsoon time and alot of people had warned me not to travel. However it didn't rain much, and when it did it didn't interfere with our plans. We still went trekking and on day trips. I actually think Monsoon season was a nice time to stay because the fields are luscious and green. I travelled solo, but when you stay here you are never lonely. You can have as much or as little time alone as you want. I loved chatting with the family, laughing, watching tv, sharing stories, and just hanging out.

I initially stayed 4 nights and in that time Babu, Belku and his 2 children became my family. I loved those 4 night so much that I rearranged my accomodation in central Kathmandu so that I could stay one more night with the family, and every minute was worth it.

The house is beautiful, probably the cleanest and most comfortable stay I had during my 15 days in Nepal. My room had open windows with an amazing view over the rice fields, comfortable double bed and really spacious. Clean shared western toilets, and 24 hour reliable wifi (which is rare in Nepal!).

Babu is so genuine, honest and wants you to have the best stay in Nepal. He organised my itinerary in the first hour of arriving at the homestay, booked my bus ticket to Pokhara and brought the hard copy back within a few hours! You can pay a little bit extra and he will organise a guide to take you on day trips to some sites in Nepal (Bhaktapur, Durbar square), and I was lucky to have Babu as my guide, who makes the whole experience so enjoyable . Another day I went on a village tour with Babu's daughter Ruza, which gives you an amazing insight into traditional village life - women washing, cooking, cleaning, planting rice. We even went to Babu's parents home. This is an experience you wouldn't get to have unless you stayed at a homestay.

I've mentioned Babu alot because he is at the forefront of the business, he does all the communication with bookings and itinerary planning etc. However, the whole family are wonderful. Belku is lovely and she cooks amazing organic food fresh from the garden (as everybody has mentioned). All the vegetables and fruits, even tomato and cucumber are 100% safe to eat, which is really good considering most guidebooks recommend not eating these at local restaurants (so enjoy them here at the homestay while you can!!). Belku is kind, caring, and has such a good sense of humour it was lovely to share time with her. I also got to know daughter Ruza well and being similar in age, it was great to get more insight into life in Nepal from her.

This homestay is awesome, you cannot leave or know Nepal without staying here. I'll always have great memories and I know I'll stay in touch with Babu until we meet again one day!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Ali_1234255060

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I stayed at Homestay Nepal with my two children (ages 10 and 11) for 10 days in May 2014 at the end of a month-long trip through Nepal. What can I say!!!!!!??? The Trip Advisor reviews are all amazing, and they have won Travellers Choice awards several years running for their tiny business - and it is all totally deserved!!! This is a really special place, and our ten days there were magical - it was the trip of a lifetime for us and our time with this lovely family will never be forgotten. Asides from the fact that Babu and Belku and the nicest, kindest, warmest and most hospitable people you could ever meet, I'm certain that my children learnt more in the ten days we spent in the homestay than they have learnt in an entire year at home in school. It really was, for my kids, the highlight of our trip to Nepal... and an educational experience for them that was beyond measure.

Babu and Belku have created a real oasis for travellers in their extended family home - staying there in the village, this really is a home-away-from-home, away from all the tourists and trekking industry buzz of Kathmandu. As many other travellers have written, this is a slice of the "real Nepal". As a place to stay, this was as comfortable as it gets - cosy rooms that make you truly feel like you are at home, great beds, quiet surrounds, amazing food (Belku is a whizz in the kitchen!).

In our 10 days at the homestay we did both of the Village Tours which Babu runs - both were great. We also did some day trips to Kathmandu, and spent several days (with Babu's assistance) at the local school. He helped us to organise a visit to the school, where my daughter sat in classes and also did some presentations for the local students. This was an incredible experience.

We also enjoyed many days just meandering around the little village where the homestay is located... my children enjoyed seeing the surrounding farmlands (the wheat harvest was in full swing), animals, crops, vegetable gardens, learning all about village life, water management, etc (the list could go on and on!!) as well as small things like getting to know the people at the local "corner shop" (as they called it) and watching the kids all play soccer in the vacant lot next to the house each afternoon after school. Just brilliant.

We also met lovely travellers staying at Homestay Nepal - this sort of place attracts great people, and the communal dinners were really nice.

All in all, this is an absolute 5 star! We will be back, without a doubt....

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This was second time visiting Babu and Belku at their awesome home away from home. It is away from all the bustling Kathmandu. If you looking to unwind in a country setting and see the life of harvesters and farmers then Babu is the place for you! Day hikes are also available from Babu.
Belku will show you amazing hospitality and cook amazing traditional dish. Babu will make you laugh with his contagious smile. A great place for family too.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I stumbled upon Baburaja's Homestay Nepal while researching for my trip to Nepal. The glowing reviews and his #1 ranking on TripAdvisor sealed the deal for me. Still, as it was my very first homestay experience, I didn't want to expect too much lest it turned out to be all hype. Babu and I exchanged several emails before we confirmed all the details, and I had a good feeling about him from the start as he was very prompt with his replies and provided all the necessary information, including costs, right from the start. He didn't ask for any payment upfront, not even for the Kathmandu-Pokhara flight tickets that I had asked him to help me purchase. Our entire exchange was based on trust and it was a great feeling, knowing that he was so open, honest and direct in his dealings.

I stayed in Thamel for several days before heading to Babu's, and had totally enjoyed Thamel's vibrancy but the bustle does get to you after a while. Babu had arranged for one of his regular drivers to pick me up from my hotel and as we left dusty, chaotic Kathmandu behind to head to Kirtipur, the pace instantly slowed down as did my heart beat. As we were approaching Kirtipur, the skyline, comprising blockish buildings of varying low heights stacked closed to each other, made me think of Lego (and everything is awesome!) caught my eye and I quickly snapped some pics on my phone. Seeing that, the driver quickly stopped the car so that I could take better shots. What a smart guy!

That set the tone very well for the rest of the 30-min journey to Langol, the village in Kirtirpur where Babu's home is. Still, nothing prepared me for the wonderfully soothing landscape that lay ahead and surrounded us on all sides. The roads, while bumpy, were traffic free and all around us were green wheat fields, yellow barley fields, farmers at work and cows resting. It's so idyllic and restful, and Babu's home is the perfect base from which to explore this rustic countryside.

His three-level house is spacious and cosy, and from the minute I entered, it already felt like home, especially with the warm and friendly welcome from Babu and his beautiful wife Belku. This being a homestay and not your regular guesthouse or hotel, there is no check-in process. I was ushered to my room right away, a spacious twin bedder that looked out to the wheat fields. The shared bathroom was basic but there's hot water, although the pressure is a bit low.

My favourite part of the house is definitely the kitchen, where everybody gathers for delicious homecooked meals prepared by Belku, using fresh organic ingredients sourced from around the village. Mealtimes are when all the guests get to know each other and it was really nice to meet people from all corners of the world. If you come down earlier, you can also observe Belku preparing all the dishes from scratch and learn a thing or two about Nepali cooking. She's a great teacher and a truly amazing cook, all her dishes were full of flavour and presented so well.

Over the course of my 4-day stay, I got to know Babu, Belku and their two children and also to see how a typical Nepali family lives. It was great to see the banter between the couple and their children, they're really more like friends and they all speak English well so we did not have any communication problems. I did two walking tours with Babu's friend Nama, who took me around to the nearby villages, which is where I got to see what I consider the 'real' Nepal. Few tourists venture to these parts as there are no real landmarks but for me, the attraction is in the opportunity to meet and speak to local people, who are so beautiful in their smiles and so welcoming with their 'namaste'.

on my last day, Babu took me to visit his parent's house, a 2-minute stroll away. It was really interesting, as that was the very house that he was born and grew up in, and where his parents and brother still live. As we explored the house, Babu regaled me with stories from his childhood and younger years, and also of the sweet love story between Belku and him. It's a story everyone should hear and once you've gotten to know them - which doesn't take long, as they warm up to people very quickly - you are considered family.

It may be a cliche but what are cliches if not truth: arrive as a stranger, stay as a friend and leave as family. Baburaja's Homestay Nepal is truly an experience to be savoured, a unique encounter that shows a side of Nepal that you won't see elsewhere in Nepal.

Namaste.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank ThisBunnyHops
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I spent two weeks their with my family and it was really great. The food was amazing and we felt just like at home. This family is so nice and kind with everybody. It is easy to visit the place near such as Kathmandu or Boudhanath with good guides. The scenery is beautiful and the place is quiet. The people in the village are nice and you can easily have a nice walk around there.
I recommend this guest house for everybody including family with small children.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Babus after a friend's recommendation. It is a really cool idea, you stay with an actual family and eat traditional food and see how they live. They also have good trekking options and we did their unseen Nepal 5 day trek. They have big rooms and western toilets with hot showers, so probably not a typical family. We really enjoyed our time and the concept, though wish they would eat with us, but they tend to serve guests and eat later.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I really would like to recommend this Homestay when you go to Kathmandu! A warm welcoming by all in the family. Babu, Belku, Ruja, daughter and Ayoush, son. Nice rooms and Belkus meals in their nice kitchen are perfect. There you will meet people from other parts of the World and it is Amazing how much you learn and exchanges in experiences! If you want to do trekking or just have a nice citywalk, with surroundings. Everything is possible for Babu to arrange! I promise. I accomplished this new trekking "Hidden Nepal" in four days. I found my highlight there, near Daman. Met the old Lhama who I met 15 years ago! He remembered me!
This Homestay is so nice. I hope to come back as soon as possible!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Been to Homestay Nepal? Share your experiences!