“Hopefully the future for Comfort chain”

Comfort Suites Golden Isles Gateway Brunswick
Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Brunswick
Reviewed 25 October 2011

When it comes to off-the-interstate chain hotels, I've found that new is usually (though not always) better. That's the case here. I had stopped staying at Comfort hotels because of some bad experiences with their oldie moldies. I tried this hotel because of Trip Advisor ratings and can't complain, although five stars is a bit much for a quick-stop hotel. This one is well kept and in a nice office park setting with a decent restaurant within easy walking distance. Great for one night, but not a destination hotel by any means.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank noduh
CS-Golden_Isles-GM, General Manager at Comfort Suites Golden Isles Gateway Brunswick, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2011

Noduh,
I’m glad you tried us since we were new and let me be the first to say we plan on doing everything that we can to keep this hotel up when you are no longer considered new.
Thank you for your business and I hope you can come back and stay with us again…and recommend us to your family and friends.

Reviewed 22 October 2011

We were glad to spend the night at a very clean, well maintained hotel for the night. The front desk staff was very polite at check in/out. The room and bathroom were spotless, comfortable bed, spacious bathroom, and quiet. Very convenient to I-95 and to the Millhouse Restaurant next door. There was plenty of light in the parking lot so you feel safe. The breakfast in the morning was good, and plenty to choose from. Looking forward to my next trip to the Great Smokey Mountains in the spring and plan on staying at the Comfort Suites on my way up and back.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Thanks zoback, home you come back!  We’re really glad you picked us over the other options and so very glad you enjoyed us! Please recommend us to your family and friends and we look forward to you staying with us on your next road trip…the Smokey Mountains are beautiful!

Reviewed 19 October 2011

I want to thank you for all taking care of a group of passangers that we had booked at your hotel, they had a wonderful time and said that your staff was so kind and pleasant to work with. Mark and his team went out of there way!! Thank you again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for your review and you are certainly welcome! That is what we are here for, to make your stay the best that it can possibly be! We're so glad your group enjoyed us and we certainly loved having them! Hope you can all come back, soon!

Reviewed 17 October 2011

We stayed there Oct 2011 en route to Orlando, Florida, for one night. Comfortable, spacious room. True, the curtains did not close all the way, by the very design of them, but we had a great night's sleep anyway! The Millhouse, Not Just a Steakhouse, is diagonally across the parking lot, and that menu had more selections on it than we've ever seen, and I told the manager about it.
Wonderful one night stay, would highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
CS-Golden_Isles-GM, General Manager at Comfort Suites Golden Isles Gateway Brunswick, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2011

Thanks, dave5400, for your review! We’re so glad you enjoyed our hotel and the Millhouse…that is a favorite of ours!

And just a quick note to everyone, we have blackout curtains which are behind the curtains that hang to the floor. Just pull those together and you can block out the outside lights and view. And if you have any question about them, feel free to call down to the Front Desk and we’ll be glad to help you! We have them hiding a little to keep everyone on their toes. :-)

Reviewed 16 October 2011

Based on the reviews here, I chose Comfort Suites out of several similarly-priced options in the same area. We were in room 201, a corner room with a king bed and pull-out sofabed, facing the parking lot. Plenty of space for just me and my teen daughter.

Pros:
--Bed was very comfortable. I loved the big fluffy pillows, but my daughter prefers flat pillows.
--The bath towels and washcloths were not an issue for us.
--Nor did we notice the elevator to be terribly slow.
--We didn't notice any musty smells. It smelled like a new hotel, sometimes quite strongly. Definitely not musty.

Cons:
--The curtains did not close, so we had no way of blocking light (either sunlight or parking lot lights) from streaming in our window. Also, the closet was right in front of the window, and we had to be careful to not be changing clothes there at night, as people in the parking lot could see that far into the room (we checked it ourselves).
--There were 2 long black hairs in the bathtub when we arrived. I guess left by the maid? We just rinsed them out and carried on. If we had not already unpacked completely, I would've requested a different room.
--Motorcycles were allowed to park in the portico out front, on both sides of the lane. Made for a tight fit for a medium-sized SUV to get through. And VERY loud right outside our window early the next morning when they left!
--There are only 2 handicapped parking spots, and they were always filled. This isn't just a problem at this hotel, but other parking lots also.
--The breakfast offerings were plentiful enough, but the scrambled eggs were hard (3 days in a row), the bacon was so crispy as to fall apart when touched, and the sausage was the greasiest I've ever seen. The orange juice tasted like it was reconstituted with too much water. The pastries tasted a couple of days old, every day. And the workers handling the food did NOT wear gloves.
--The Internet may have been free, but the connection was AWFUL. We tried it on our laptops and our phones, and never got a good signal, or even just a consistent signal.
--Smoking allowed outside the front doors by both guests and employees means that everyone who enters the building has to walk through the smoke. Unpleasant at best, and dangerous for those with breathing difficulties at worst.

I did speak to more than one front desk person about some of these issues. The curtains and hair problems were enough to make me want to change hotels, but we had already paid through hotels.com and didn't have that option.

I would not stay at this particular hotel again.

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms on the front side of the building get lots of noise from the parking lot.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family

Well we certainly didn’t live up to our expectation, or yours, and for that I am very, very sorry!
I will certainly speak to everyone about the curtains. They should all know, as we’ve had this question before, we have blackout curtains that are white and kind of hidden behind the shears that close. The log curtains that hang to the floor do not close, but the blackout curtains keep all the light from the outside…outside where the light belongs.
I have already brought this review up to our housekeeping manager and see has retrained the housekeeper we believe you had about the hair left behind. We also reminded all the cleaning team to make sure they look over their work before they finish a room! We certainly do not accept this kind of lax cleaning!
I will also look into the breakfast issue because we do not want to serve greasy sausage and hard eggs! Again, I am very sorry that you did not have a good experience. Normally this is not the case and I am very sorry!
I emailed you to find out more information, and I’d certainly like to speak with you. I am very sorry about this and DEFINITELY want to make sure we do a much better job next time!

Reviewed 3 October 2011

Good location just off the Interstate. Easy to get to other places. Nice rooms. Spacious bathrooms (regular tub w/shower) but very large vanity. Quiet. Comfortable king bed. Typical Comfort Suites breakfast. Good price. No problem with WiFi.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
CS-Golden_Isles-GM, General Manager at Comfort Suites Golden Isles Gateway Brunswick, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2011

Hi PhDNana,
Thank you for staying with us and thanks for the review! We enjoyed having you with us and hope you can come back again, soon!

Reviewed 25 September 2011

The purpose of our trip was to attend a workshop retreat at St. Simons Island.
We opted to drive down a day early. Booked this Comfort Suites hotel based
on our experience at other hotels in this chain. The on-line rate was one of
the best in the area. Our room was ready on arrival and what a surprise. This
hotel was spotless. No odors. Spacious room, great tv, exellent wi-fi but the
best was the bed and pillows. I have stayed in some fancy hotels around
the US and Europe but this was the best yet. Free breakfast offered great
selections and coffee that would stand up against that big chain with a
star in its name. Staff was most helpful. Directed us to a local resturant
that was a short walk. If you are in the area we highly recommend this
Comfort Suites. Next year we will stay here and commute to the island
for the workshop.

Way to go Comfort Suites!!

Room Tip: 3rd floor over the front office
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business

Hi Drew43,
Thanks for the review, we loved having you! It's always nice to be able to leave a little early to check out the area when you're in town for business and we're very glad you did. Can't wait to see you next year!