“Probably was built to 'microtel standard' - but is definitely not being maintained”

Motel 6 Brunswick South
Ranked #21 of 36 Hotels in Brunswick
Denton, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2011

The door sign said the room was worth up to $90 a night. But the $40 a night was about 20 more than this cheap room was worth

Microtel is a solid brand, and this location was obviously built to the standard. But it's been open for nearly a decade and now it call comes down to maintaining the property. The owners are obviously not doing it.

Where to start. . .

-- The upper floors were 'wavy'. Walking down the hallway, you can feel that the floors have shifted between the cross beams and are no longer a constantly 'level' and uniform. The dips continue into the room. Once side of the room slightly tilts to the window. The other towards the hallway. The bathroom tilt was so bad that the door wouldnt stay closed without fully latching it. Any attempt to leave the door cracked would fail in less than 10 seconds as the door swung back open

-- The bed linens were well warn and ultra cheap. Diddo for the towels

-- The bed itself was lumpy and had long since lost its shape. Six hours after leaving for the day, the bed still had depressions from both of us sleeping. The management had tried to cover this up with a cheap mattress pad -- but it didnt help in the slightest.

-- The pillows were just as warn. We had to request several extra pillows to get the same head support as a regular pillow at any other hotel

-- The regular lightbulbs had been replaced with cool-white CFLs, which unlike the warm/soft white variety, do not mimic the light of a standard lightbulb. Saves in electricity, but creates a cheap 'office' type of lighting in the room

-- The sliding window that was intended to let in fresh air -- was actually bolted shut using an after-install screw that had been drilled into the track

-- The night-light bulb in the hairdryer was burnt out.

-- The remote control was so warn down that the power button was no longer marked

-- The walls were discolored with wear/tear, paint, cleaners, other unknown substances. Ditto for the bathroom fixtures and the toilet seat

-- The wallpaper trim at the ceiling was pealing off in places

-- The carpet was ripped at the door

-- The ceiling had a water leak stain about the size of a tea cup saucer next to a light fixture

-- Switch plates in the room did not match. Most were white. Some were almond

-- The mini fridge was plugged into a power strip, which didnt reach the floor. Instead, the power strip was hanging, dangling out of the wall from the power socket above the desk area. It was only halfway plugged in and seemed like a big ol fire hazard

-- We showered at 1030A. The hot water was luke warm. Not sure how many people would have been using the shower at that time -- but at 1130p the night before when we came back to the hotel, the parking lot was only 1/4 full

-- The 3rd floor icemaker was out of order and had a sign that redirected guests to the first floor. Except the sign appeared to have been specifically printed and appeared permanent. A similar sign was visible on the first floor water fountain

-- The stairs walls were discolored due to unknown substances, and the stairs themselves were chewed up

-- The 3rd floor had security cameras that were not functional. One was not plugged in. The other was facing the ceiling until i repointed it to face the hallway

There were other items, these are just the ones I can remember.

Weirdly, this hotel had a 'Trip Advisor recommended for 2010" sticker on the front door. Not sure what they did to earn that standing, but it couldnt have been based on reviews from people who visited

I would never recommend this place to anybody. The owners have obviously made a decision to let this property sink into the stereotypical 'cheap' hotel status. Microtel should re-inspect the property and consider pulling their brandname.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank christoperj

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Huntigntown
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2011

The location is what gives this hotel a plus. It is far enough from I-95 that you can not hear the road traffic all nightlong. You do have to look for it because it can not bee seen from I-95. I will stay their again. The three people who worked the front desk all had a can do attitude.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2011

We stayed here for one night. There were semen stains on the window seat and the couch in the room was covered with stains. The rest of the room was spotless. So, I didn't sit on the window seat or the couch and we went to sleep. The atmosphere of the room was similar to a prison- very stark. The room was relatively large, not "micro" as I had expected. There were two pillows on the king size bed but I was given two more when I asked the man at the desk. There were mirrors along the wall behind the bed and huge mirrors in the bedroom. I thought I was in a "no tell motel." In all fairness my husband loved it...sooo if you are looking for that pay by the hour feel, you will have it here.

The man at the front desk was exceptionally nice (older retired gentleman).

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2009

There was ample free parking in an area occupied with mostly other motels. Check-in went as reserved. The front desk clerk was friendly and helpful.

Our medium-sized Interior corridor room was clean and quiet, with one queen bed, a TV, clothes closet and a window seat with built-in dresser drawers. The AC unit ran quietly.

The bath was an all-in-one unit, with the toilet, sink and tub shower in the same room. We were assigned a handicapped room (though we did not request one) so the bathroom did not have a vanity - just a white wall-mounted sink. That was a bit of a hassle because there was little space for toiletries. I will have to make sure we get a regular room next time.

The complimentary breakfast included coffee, tea, juices, cereal, oatmeal, grits, waffles, muffins, bagels and toast.

Being a Microtel, the room had free wireless Internet and unlimited free domestic long distance.

I have come to trust Microtel for a good night’s stay at a very competitive price and this one was no exception.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
Southeast US
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2009

Room and bath were clean, bed comfortable. Go a good deal using GA coupon book which I got at the GA welcome center. I would stay here again. Bought my own breakfast else where as room was too crowded in the AM. Got dinner from nearby China 1

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2009

I was staying in Brunswick for one night, and needed something inexpensive, but nice and clean. This place fit my needs perfectly. I stopped at a Georgia rest stop, got one of those coupon books, and got a room for $43.00 plus tax-very reasonable. If you are wanting something nice and roomy, don't bother. If you are wanting something adequate for a night or two, it's just fine. I didn't have any of the issues that other reviewers had. I would return.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2009

I have always enjoyed my stays at Microtel and I check to see if there is a Microtel in the area whenever I travel. Hotel was a little further south of Brunswick than I had thought it would be. Not much to do around the hotel unless you need gas and like fast food. Have to drive a few miles up I-95 for anything more than that. I booked the Jacuzzi suite on this stay but we did not get a chance to use the Jacuzzi until we got back to the hotel after 9pm from dinner. Once we turned it on it made so much noise that we turned it off after a few minutes as we did not want to disturb any of the other guests that may have been asleep already. Someone had put glow paint on the ceiling in an apparent attempt to make it look like a star filled sky when the room was dark. When we turned the lights out for bed we noticed someone has used the same glow paint to write on the wall in front of the bed “hope you enjoy your stay” Really creepy! After I checked out the Hotel Manger made a point to rush into the room to check something as I was on my way out the door. Not sure what that was about. Other than those few things it was a good stay.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple