“Excellent food and great service”

Matteo's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #35 of 201 Restaurants in Brunswick
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and I had the lasagna and were very happy with the high quality of the food. The service was great as both our server and the host made frequent stops to make sure we were enjoying ourselves and to refill drinks or fill any requests.

3  Thank Sean M
Matteos2008, Owner at Matteo's Italian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to tells us how we did. It was great to hear that you enjoyed yourself and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

For years, we have stopped at Matteos while driving to and from Florida, when it was in it's original location, I think on Jessip Highway. The food was always first class, as was the service. The last time we stopped there, earlier this year, there was a marked change in the place, including the name. The owner told us he was the original owner and had now taken the location back as the new owner moved to a different location. We did not enjoy the food as much. So, this past week, we found the new location, in a small mall and went there for dinner.

Anticipating a meal on the par of what we enjoyed in the past, we experienced a bitter disappointment ! The caesar salad was ok, but, the fried calamari was a small portion, and, was not tasty at all. It seemed like it had been frozen for quite a while, but, the sauce was tasty. I ordered the shrimp scampi and it was out and out terrible! The shrimp were small, and, obviously frozen, plus, they were overcooked. The sauce was very watery and left a lot to be desired. My girlfriend had a veal dish and it was also not very good, in fact, she said it was very salty. So,, I tried a piece and it was very over salted. The rolls were nothing to rave about either. Since it was Father's Day, I went off my diet and had dessert, tiramisu, which is one of my favorites. It was pretty good, but they do not make it there. The waiter admitted it was made for them by an outside source, which is ok. We remembered the waiter from the original location, and, he said he did make the move with the new owners.

The bottom line, the bill with tax came out toe $63.39, which included a bottle of beer and a glass of wine, but, the quality and preparation of the food was not good. So, we are crossing this place off of our list and can say, if you like good Italian food, this is sadly not the place to go.

Also, the chairs were all stained very badly. The need to be professionally cleaned.

Matteos2008, Owner at Matteo's Italian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

I would first like to apologize for the experience you had at my restaurant. This is unacceptable and I would love not only to discuss it with you more, but show you what you are accustom to having at my restaurant. Please email me at matteositalian@yahoo.com I look forward to making this up to you. Jon-Evin Martin

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Located in a strip mall, I was pleasantly surprised. Pizza was the best around. Portion sizes were great. Quick friendly service. Cannolis were homemade and delicious. Only issue was they advertise gluten free crust so I ordered it- and when I received my bill there was a $4 surcharge. Very surprised I wasn't informed and it did not say that on the menu. Outside of that, food was delicious and would definitely come here again!

1  Thank Jecbd43

Thank you for taking the time to give me your opinion, I will make sure that every guest knows what the up charge is on the gluten free pizza crust. The next time you are in town I hope you make us one of your stops so I can make up for that slip up.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

I'm so tired of processed food from those corporate restaurants! Not here! Everything is fresh and fabulous. It taste like my Italian grandma cooked it!! I definitely recommend this spot for great Italian cuisine! Large portions too!

1  Thank Cassandra B

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we did, I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Tried this restaurant out due to high ratings on Google. The service was nice, place was semi clean (nothing too major). Paid $20 for over cooked frozen shrimp, dry frozen chicken breast and plain pasta. Their bread tasted like a week old stale garlic nugget... I took my food to-go and threw it in the trash so I wouldn't be rude... Horrible food.

Matteos2008, Owner at Matteo's Italian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

I am truly sorry you had such an unacceptable experience, I would love to discuss your experience with you and also show you that I can do better than what you experienced. Please give me the opportunity to show you what I can do, email me at matteositalian@yahoo.com or call the restaurant at (912) 267-0248 at your earliest convenience, my name is Jon-Evin Martin.