“Not quite what I was expecting...”

Holiday Inn Brunswick-I-95 (Exit 38)
Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in Brunswick
Reviewed 8 May 2010

I reserved my room in advance through the Holiday Inn website, because I was planning to travel from NC to FL and thought Brunswick would be a reasonable halfway point to stop. I purposely chose Holiday Inn because of the Priority Club promotion that was running at the time, so perhaps that was my first mistake. (As well as failing to realize that the I-95 exit that this hotel is located at is smack in the middle of a 30 mile stretch of road construction that has been going on for at least a year now, making it a less than wise place to exit if you don't have to.)

The hotel, in itself, is not a bad place to stay. However, the pictures and description on the Holiday Inn website are quite misleading, to say the least. For example, most people would presume that an indoor pool would be heated. Well, this one is not (that detail is conveniently left out on the website), and while I realize this may not be a big deal to some people, it was to me because that was a small part of why I chose this particular Holiday Inn. It was more than disappointing to arrive at the hotel, after a long day on the road, and get ready to go down to the pool...only to discover a sign on the pool door, in very small print, that said the pool is not heated. It might as well be an outdoor pool, in that case.

Another misleading detail is the "free in-room wireless" that is advertised on the website, which in reality, only applies to rooms on the 1st floor, not those of us who are on the 5th floor. This too, was in small print, on the placard on the desk in my room. The only internet option for folks above the first floor is to either go down to the lobby to use wi-fi, or get an ethernet cable from the front desk, which you have to pay extra for.

I will say the room was immaculately clean, as was the rest of the hotel. The shower was less than enjoyable though, due to the fact that it has a low output showerhead and thus, also has low water pressure.

So, after realizing the pool was not an option, the internet was not an option, and taking an unsatisfying shower, I decided to go down to the Millhouse for dinner. One would think that since the restaurant is connected to a hotel, the proper entrance would be the door connecting it to the hotel. Actually, it isn't. You have to walk in and go across the crowded restaurant to the hostess station, by the other door leading outside, and then wait to be seated.The food was good though, and it really didn't take long to get your food once you managed to get seated, so that part wasn't too bad.

The bed was harder than I would have preferred, and you only get one small, shawl-like blanket that doesn't quite keep you warm. (But, you do get 4 pillows, two being firm and two being soft.) In fact, my room was a bit drafty, no matter what temperature I set the thermostat to...and the whole hotel (hallways, lobby, etc) seemed to be the same way. The doors closed quite loudly no matter if they were slammed or closed gently, which made sleeping something of a challenge, when combined with the fact that I was already cold and uncomfortable. Normally I have no problem at all ignoring noise, but those doors were exceptionally loud...and I know it wasn't just inconsiderate neighbors slamming them, because I took care to close the door gently and it was still quite loud.

All that aside, every staff member I came into contact with was extremely friendly and pleasant, and for that reason, I did not see fit to bring my complaints to them, as there really wasn't much they could do about any of those things and certainly none were their fault. The hotel was spotless and tastefully decorated, but considering the price I paid, I wouldn't have stayed there if I had known what I was really getting. It was $115 even with AAA and I have stayed at places that were just as fancy looking for less, that actually did have wireless in all rooms, a heated pool, real blankets, free breakfast (You had to go to the Millhouse and pay for breakfast if you wanted it), and a shower with water pressure. They say you get what you pay for, but that was certainly not my experience in this case.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank msblonde
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Brunswick-I-95 (Exit 38)

Reviewed 16 March 2010

This hotel was great! We stayed for one night on the way from FL back to NY and we were very pleased with our stay here. The room was clean, spacious and my husband declared that the bed was the best he had ever slept on. We heard no noises from other rooms or doors banging up and down the hallway. There were gas stations, restaurants and a grocery store conveniently located nearby. I would absolutely stay here again! Just a side note.... the restaurant within the hotel - the Millhouse - was fantastic. They have the most diverse menu I have ever seen in a restaurant, which usually means a lot of nothing very good, but everything we had was good quality, and they have happy hour all the time, with really good, really cheap drinks.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ejboldt
Reviewed 30 December 2009

This was our second stay at this hotel on a road trip. A superior I-95 accommodation. Well-run and clean. An above-average Holiday Inn. There is an attached restaurant, which may be independent of hotel management, which offers higher quality beef and chops dishes than generally expected at highway destinations at reasonable prices. Breakfasts in the same facility are acceptable, but less distinguished. May be priced a tad higher than competing airport/ I-95 accomodations due to the restaurant.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LouSDelrayBeach_FL
Reviewed 7 October 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night and it was nice. I would stay again if I visited Brunswick again. The only complaint that I have is there was hair in the bathroom sink and on the shower wall. I guess house keeping did not clean the sink and shower. After I sprayed the shower down I was okay. All in all it was nice. It was nice to have a walk in shower. The bed was comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lovnjamaicaAtl
Reviewed 1 August 2009

Stayed for one night on a stopover drive from NC to FL. As I was unloading my bags a manager who happened to be outside, came over and helped carry the bags into the lobby. The staff was pleasant and courteous. The room was spacious and clean, had a fridge, micro and coffee maker. The front desk called to make sure the room was satisfactory. The restaurant manager called me that evening to make sure I knew they offered room service. All in all, a most pleasant and professional operation.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank wall1024
Reviewed 14 June 2009

My family and I stayed in this hotel for one night on our way back home from a Florida vacation. I choose this hotel from reviews on this site. Our check in was uneventful. The agent seems a bit tired and not real friendly, but we got through the process. This hotel seems very new, with a clean and attractive lobby. It has an attached restaurant called the Millhouse which serves all day long. It is mainly a steak house. The pool, located off the lobby is small for a hotel this size and was NOT heated, but was covered to avoid the heat from the afternoon sun. There is also a weight room off the pool which offers a few newer machines. I also used the business center located off the lobby, since WiFi was not available. Our room was large and very clean and modern, although I was surprised there were NOT flat screen TV's in the rooms. We had a king bedded room with a walk in shower and no tub, which was fine with us. In the morning we had breakfast in the Millhouse restaurant, which was reasonable in price. Our grandkids ate for free, up to 12 years old. The food was typical breakfast, prepared well and in good time. We usually stay in hotels with a complimentary breakfast, but in this case we got a good rate at this Holiday Inn which made the breakfast a non issue. We would stay here again if our travels take us to this area. We found this hotel very close to St Simon and Jeykell Islands and found downtown Brunwick quite nice as well.

2  Thank Dave L
Reviewed 23 April 2009

I had the disfortune of becoming severely ill with food poisoning or a stomach bug during our drive from Florida back to the Northeast and we were forced to stop off unexpectedly in Brunswick, Georgia. There were several hotels to choose from and we honestly chose this one because it looked nice from the outside and just so happened to be across the street from an urgent care center. We weren't sure what to expect since the Holiday Inn name had gone somewhat downscale in our opinions over time, but we had been seeing lots of nice new ones that had sprung up on the roadsides during our road trip down 95. We didn't know Holiday Inn was making a comeback but we were interested to check it out. Our original plans had us stopping at a Holiday Inn in NC that evening and we were looking forward to it, the hotel sounded brand new and quite nice so we were hoping for the same here.

Check in was fine and the front desk agent, I want to say her name was Kandice?, was an absolute pleasure. My wife handled everything since I was in the car still being sick but I did go in shortly after just because it was hot out there, and we agreed the check-in person was very accommodating and sympathetic to our situation. We were given a room and I immediately went to bed. I did spend some time in the bathroom due to being ill, and from my unfortunate vantage point close to the toilet and floor, I was quite displeased with the cleanliness of the bathroom floor - there were lots of hairs everywhere that certainly were not ours. Usually this would be unacceptable for me but I just needed a place to be sick and sleep it off so we could get home the next day. Besides the bathroom, the room itself was fine, nice fridge and microwave, extremely comfortable beds with clean, new linens, etc. We both were very impressed with the bed and linens and commented several days after that we missed the Holiday Inn bed when compared to our actual home bed, haha.

The building itself seemed pretty new, and was nicely appointed. Parking was fine and it was set back from the main road. My wife said there were basic stores nearby - Target, Walgreens, Walmart, and I presume some restaurants. All in all, definitely a decent place to stay, my only negative comment was that the bathroom floor, sink, and tub had certain "hairs" in them - maybe they were from the cleaning person but I highly doubt it. This would be the only thing that would make me rethink staying there again, otherwise, it was a fine experience. The staff was all exceedingly polite and we appreciated their true Southern charm.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple