“It's a marina.”

Brunswick Landing Marina
Ranked #4 of 22 things to do in Brunswick
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Over 22 grassed waterfront acres open to the public for enjoying the beautiful coastal scenery of Brunswick, Georiga. Extra wide sidewalks line the river for easy walking and biking.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Baby buggy parking, Activities for young children
Reviewed 3 September 2018

Nothing special to see or do here. People rent slips for their boats. That's about it. It's a nice view.

Date of experience: September 2018
in 2 reviews
"transient"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed 17 April 2018

Great facilities, definitely very transient. Free beer 8 a.m. til closing, and free wine for their meet and greets. Bathrooms are clean and the laundry is free.

Date of experience: April 2018
2  Thank DJMinBoise
Reviewed 25 March 2018

Amenities include free beer 7 days a week, on tap and wine three days a week at happy hour at the Yacht Club built for marina residents. The location is within walking distance to great restaurants downtown, and next door to a park that hosts a farmers market three days a week.

Date of experience: June 2017
2  Thank Becky K
Reviewed 11 January 2018

As a member of the Golden Isles community, I believe in supporting local businesses. If I have a problem, I try to resolve it directly, and not air my grievances in public, because I believe people in this community are generally set on doing the right thing, and more times than not they do make it right. As a financial adviser, this is not only my personal belief, but I am also bound by my profession to do the right thing and to “treat the customer fairly”. The fact that I am writing a negative review about Brunswick Landing Marina is not meant to disparage the employees there, who are just doing their jobs. But having tried to resolve this matter directly, and having received a disproportionately negative response in return, I am compelled to share my story, in the hope that this does not happen again to anyone else.

I took my Cape Dory 36 to Brunswick Landing based on the reviews and experience of friends, many of whom keep their boats there. I had her hauled out, surveyed and had the cutlass bearing replaced at the boatyard. The total bill was $1,800. We then put her back in the water and had her towed to a private dock (we were in the process of rebuilding the engine). While under tow, she took on water, as we discovered the packing gland nut was not tightened down. This was not a few drops of water, but enough to fill the bilge, and it nearly sank the boat. While scrambling to bail out the water, we called Brunswick Landing and they sent Wayne, the head mechanic. He drove out on a weekend and quickly tightened the packing gland nut. When asked why there was no attention paid to the packing gland when replacing the cutlass bearing, he simply responded that it was “not on the work order”. I was very surprised to then receive a bill for $225 for this work, including charges for overtime!

Now the boat was not leaking when I brought her to BLM, only after we left (within 2 hours) was there a problem. I asked Wayne if he felt in any way responsible, given that one would typically check and/or repack the packing gland and tighten the nut when replacing a cutlass bearing, especially as they were aware that she was towed and the engine was not operational. Not only did he refuse to accept any responsibility, but he then proceeded to blame me for “rushing” the repairs (we were trying to get her moved to the private dock ahead of a weather front, to finish the engine, and I had already paid for 7 lay days). I expect a mechanic to stand behind his work, and to think about other related issues that could arise as a result of the work he is doing. If I take my car to have the wheel changed, tightening the lug nuts is not on the work order. And if there are any other issues affecting the car’s safety that are discovered (or suspected) while the contracted repair is being done, I would expect to at least be notified and given the option to repair other things crucial to the car’s safety. I have this same expectation for work done at a marina and do not feel this is unreasonable.

I asked if there was anything unjust about sending me a $225 bill for tightening the packing gland nut (including overtime since it was a weekend!), and if it was worth that to lose a customer. His response: “pay the bill“. To add insult to injury, he actually told me to never come back there again!

I appreciate that Wayne came quickly and on a weekend, and he should be compensated for that. However, this issue should never have occurred in the first place, and I am appalled to have been treated this way after trying to resolve it directly with the marina. I am a good-natured person and was courteous in reaching out to BLM. Not only was this gesture unappreciated, but it was met with a reaction that I would never have expected from a reputable marina. I have honestly never been treated this way, in any capacity, by anyone. There is no chance that I will return to Brunswick Landing. Fortunately, there are other very good alternatives nearby, and I will be happy to give them my business in future.

Date of experience: November 2017