“Mostly Pleasant Stop”

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Calhoun
Franklin TN
“Mostly Pleasant Stop”
Reviewed 22 January 2012

On a trip back from Florida we picked this location based on it's pet friendly policy and coupon. When we checked in we asked for a non-smoking king and were advised they only had a handicapped accessible room. We agreed, handed over our coupon and went up to the room.
We were at the very end of the hall farthest from the road and my first thought was "wow this will be super quiet".
After unpacking we went back out and found a nice assortment of restaurants nearby. We came though the lobby and found some cookies and coffee for dessert. The kids birthday party happening in the indoor poor was still in full swing. So not a good option for a relaxing dip.
When we returned to the room to relax and watch some tv we heard a thumping bass sound. At first we thought someone had parked in the vacant lot we were overlooking behind the hotel and had their stereo on. We kept trying to figure out where the sound was coming from. Later we realized there was a dive bar adjacent to the unattractive vacant lot behind us and it was in full party mode til 1PM. Luckily we were so tired we fell asleep, woke up around midnight and my husband took the dog out for a quick walk. The bar was still jamming and the police had arrived!
So the thumping bass was a bit annoying but the room overall was quiet otherwise aside from the occaisional slamming door. We didn't hear a thing til the next morning when we did hear water running.
The room itself was clean and attractive with some dated aspects. It did have an old fashioned bedspread which was kind of creepy...I am sure they don't wash those after each guest. We folded it down near the foot of the bed which just left us with a thin blanket. It did have an old tube style tv but it worked fine.
The pillows on the bed were flat as can be. I did go to the lobby and asked for a couple of extra ones so we could prop ourselves up to watch the tv.
The bathroom was super clean and large and the handicapped version had a walk in shower.
The next morning we took turns going down for breakfast. There were a few hot items, waffles and the usual muffins, toast and cereal. They had a nice juice machine that had delicious peach/citrus juice. It was amazing that many of our fellow guests came down in their pajamas to eat breakfast. Hadn't seen that before at other places. Maybe it is a Georgia thing?
Otherwise the breakfast and stay overall was pleasant and restful. If you choose this place you may not want to be on the backside at the very end of the hall...maybe then you won't hear the noise from the bar next door, or maybe you could just jump the fence and join the fun?

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
CartersvilleGM, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Calhoun, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
Dear "TNGal",

I am so glad you chose Country Inn and Suites for your stay. I am very sad to hear about some of the difficulties that you had at the hotel but was also glad to hear that there were some positives also. Please feel free to contact me anytime if you would like to discuss some of the issues you had! 706-625-6500

Kevin Callesoe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Murphy, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 November 2011

I have made it a habit to drive a little further from my locations for business to stay at a Country Inn & Suites because of the quality that they consistently afford. Well I finally ran into one that did not meet the standard that I have held them to. Don't get me wrong, it was better than other experiences I have had but this was an older hotel. The beds were old, the sheets not as comfortable, no flat screen TVs and things were aged in general. The breakfast was good but did lack in comparison to others. I would stay here again but wanted to give an honest report.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
CountryInnCalhoun71, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Calhoun, responded to this review, 22 November 2011
Dear 'Bill0003',
I am so very sorry that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us. Please give me a call at 706-625-6500 so thay we may discuss the issues you had. I look forward to hearing from you.

Tennessee
Reviewed 14 November 2011

Pros: Hotel looks like it has been refurbished recently. Room was clean. Bathroom was roomy and clean with new counter tops and curved shower curtain rod which is nice. Plenty of towels. Breakfast was good enough. Waffles, eggs, canadian bacon, oatmeal, muffins, toast, cereal. Was easy to find off the highway. Cracker Barrel ,Logan's Steakhouse and several fast food restaurants close by. Outlet mall just down the street. Had a coupon we found on travelcoupon.com that gave us a little bit of a discount.
Cons: It smelled old, a little musty even though it looked new. Using the air conditioner made the smell worse. Towels were not very big. The hot tub was low on water and it had a frothy sudsy layer which I have never seen in a hot tub before. Beds were very hard and the pillows were flat and not comfy at all. Had an old timey bedspread/cover. Was a horrible nights sleep for me. Keep hearing a thumping/bumping noise during the night. Not sure if it was the air conditioning unit or what. The breakfast area was very small. Never any cookies out when we were in the Lobby. Had a big old tv and the remote didn't work. Said we had HBO channels but could never find them on the tv. Overall, I guess it was ok but we would probably not stay there again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
CountryInnCalhoun71, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Calhoun, responded to this review, 16 November 2011
Dear 'Suzeq62'

I am so sorry for all the issues you had at the hotel. Please call me directly at 706-625-6500 so we can address all that went wrong during your stay. I would love to be able to host you again, and look forward to being able to assist you!

Yours In Hospitality,

Indiana
Reviewed 6 November 2011

We stay here every time we drive from the Midwest to Orlando and back as we travel with our two dogs. One is special needs; he is orthopedically challenged and refuses to walk on the wood floors in the lobby!!! The staff is always kind and understanding and helpful about that. The rooms are clean and well-stocked. Families seeem to use and enjoy the indoor pool and whirlpool. My one criticism is that maintenance issues are very slow to be addressed (like the inoperable side doors on the first floor, and the breakfast seems to have lost some quality over the past few years. The internet service could use some upgrades and improvement, too. It is not secure. Yet we find still find this motel a great place to stay. Good value for the money.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear 'MFHoosier',

As always we love when you and your precious dogs come in. I can say on behalf of all of the staff, we all fell in love with them! I am sorry to hear about some of the issues you had ,if you would like to call me directly please do so at 706-625-6500. We welcome anything thats helps us grow and make a better hotel. Can't wait to see you guys again soon!

Yours In Hosptiality,

Boiling Springs, South Carolina
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Sherri is fanTAStic--I've traveled a lot, and she's the best hotel clerk / receptionist I've ever met! The rest of the staff is great, too--Kimberly, Jacqueline, Blake, and all the rest (I've met them all but don't remember all their names!). This is the best deal in Calhoun, and better than any deal in Dalton. The rooms are large, there's a microwave and fridge (pretty big one!) in literally EVERY room. Housekeeping always keeps everything tidy and replenishes everything. The *only* thing I don't like is the hot breakfast, but that's easy to fix, and if you're not relying on that anyway, it won't matter:)

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms, but if you have a problem with yours, they will switch it gladly.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
CountryInnCalhoun71, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Calhoun, responded to this review, 27 September 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Country Inn and Suites in Calhoun, GA and for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. I am delighted to read that you would recommend our hotel, and I do hope we will have the occasion to welcome you back again and to exceed your expectations on your next stay.

Director of Sales and Marketing
Blairsville
Reviewed 23 August 2011

We spent two nights at the Calhoun Country Inn and Suites.

PROS: Sherry, the desk clerk, is amazingly sweet. The cookies are very good. They readily switched our room and even upgraded us when there was a problem.

CONS: Unfortunately, several of the NONSMOKING rooms truly smell like SMOKE. The suite that we finally ended up in is very lovely, BUT... we didn't notice that the door wouldn't lock until after we had already unloaded all of our stuff for our 2 night stay. They kindly offered yet another room, but eventually they figured out that we could close the door with an upward motion and it would lock. That was great, so we spent the night there.

We woke up in the morning to find that the toilet had not been flushing all night, so we alerted the desk clerk and headed out for a few hours. When we returned, the toilet was still broken AND the door to the room was not closed all the way. The maid had cleaned, but she didn't know to be careful about the broken door. Fortunately, nothing was missing from our room.

The maintenance person was available that day, so he plunged the toilet and fixed the door.

All is well that ends well, but overall the hotel is just average.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank SharronLL
CountryInnCalhoun71, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Calhoun, responded to this review, 7 November 2011
Dear Blairsville,

Thank you so much for your positive comments on our hotel. But the negative was what concerned me the most. I am so very sorry about the issues you had during your stay with us. At Country Inn and Suites we love our guests and we want them to feel right at home when they walk in the door. Please contact me so we may talk further about the situation. You may contact me at the office at 706-625-6500.

New Albany, Indiana
Reviewed 12 July 2011

We stopped here on our way back from Florida. We had a coupon to get a deal, but it would have been worth the full price. Room was spacious with sofafed, king bed, and sitting area. Staff was very friendly and hotel was very clean. The breakfast served was good, with hot and cold selections. We didn't use it because it was very busy on a Saturday night, but the pool was indoors and heated. Would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank kjk47150
Dear 'kjk47150',

We are so glad to read your review sharing what a pleasant stay you had with us! Thank you so much for your kind words and letting people know about the coupon booklet! Its a great thing to have traveling anywhere! Should you visit the Calhoun area again in the future, please do consider returning to us and at that time we invite you to contact the hotel direct when making your reservation, as we do value our guests greatly and are always sure to honor your loyalty! Thank you again and we wish you the best in travel!

With sincere gratitude,

Director of Sales
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calhoun
Super 8 Calhoun
Hampton Inn & Suites Adairsville
Hampton Inn Dalton
Hampton Inn Dalton
#5 of 22 in Dalton

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Calhoun? Share your experiences!