“BIG Disappointment”

Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Calhoun
Great Falls, Montana
“BIG Disappointment”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

It has finally happened, I have stayed in a substandard La Quinta. I have stayed in dozens of La Quintas over several years and this is the first one that gets thumbs down.

When we entered our room I noticed a smell and after looking around found several stains where dogs had wet. When my wife spoke to the desk clerk she said there was a problem with people leaving their dogs alone for several hours and this is what happens but they plan on putting new carpets in the rooms in the future. Now we know how it happened and a possible fix in the future but nothing to help us with I have never found a La Quinta room in this condition and they have dogs staying in rooms.

The dog walk is on a side of a steep bank in a dark place where I wouldn't dare let my wife go after dark.

I also noticed there was no coffee or tissues in the room. Checking with the front desk they gave us coffee but said they were out of tissues.

The only pool was outdoors and it was full of garbage. I would rather swim in a frog pond.

The beds aren't too bad but not even close to those in other La Quints. I was going to stay in a La Quinta tomorrow night but I may go to the Drury Inn, I have never been disappointed with them.

Two things on the plus side is that serve breakfast at 5am so we can get an early start and the wifi was fast and worked well.

It is too bad that a few pet owner who are slobs and give us all a bad name but other motels have found ways of dealing with them.

Room Tip: Stay some place else
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
michigan
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

Keep going to another inn. I like the LaQuinta brand however this location is substandard. There is no safe location to walk our small dogs. The hotel is all parking lot or a narrow strip of ground above a marsh not good for two old ladies on a cane. The room had stained carpet, torn and stained lamp shades and I found candy wrappers under the chair. I called the desk and she said she would make a note. Well, I made a note not to go here again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank missylulu

Travellers are raving about these Calhoun hotels

Fort Walton Beach, Florida
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We have stayed at this La Quinta multiple times since it opened. We travel with our dogs so we don't have much of a choice of hotels. When it opened it was great but the standards have not been maintained. Our last visit was early March 2014 and it was as disappointing as our previous visit. The room was gross. The walls are marked up, dirty bathroom door, bathroom vent covered in dirt and the sink was clogged and barely drained. The side exit door is disgustingly filthy. The door did not lock and it has hand written signs taped to it asking you not to slam it because the door closer still wasn't working. We travel with two dogs but their is so much poop around the grounds it is hard to walk the dogs. I wouldn't stay their if we had other options at a reasonable price that took pets. I was going to take some picture before we left but my hubby talked me out of it but If we stay their again I will take Pics.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Iluvdoxi
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

I can not believe these reviews. We stayed here on 2/28/2014. We have a dachshund. No additional charge like other hotels. So convenient with Cracker Barrel next do for dinner. Room was nice, clean and quiet. Hallways and stairs were clean. I had forgotten to pack a toothbrush. Went to front desk and was gladly given one and tooth paste. She was just receiving a complaint that someone had clogged up the restroom by the breakfast area. I asked if she was a jack of all trades. She smiled and said yes no maintenance person at that time. I went back to room and watched some tv. We went to sleep soundly. Got up and enjoyed clean bathroom and hot shower. Went downstairs to breakfast. Enjoyed hot eggs,biscuits, gravy and waffles. Coffee and orange juice was great. Not watered down like some hotels. Had nice conversations with other patrons and manager. Left rested and full. These other complainers must be trying to get free room and coupons for free rooms in future. 5 star stay and service.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Waterloo
Reviewed 23 February 2014

The most uncomfortable, NOISEY, horrible place I've ever been to. The hotel is made so cheaply you will hear every person, every tv, and the road noise. I should have drive another 20 miles to the one with good reviews, but was so tired I couldn't drive anymore, well guess what still tired.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank 682heatherk
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stayed over night at this hotel on our way to Florida. We were stuck due to the snow and Atlanta being shut down. The hotel took advantage of stranded motorists and gouged it's rates. We were happy to have a room until we actually saw the hotel, it was filthy! There were wear holes in the carpeting going up the stairs. The hand rail was sticky and dirty and the wood floor board were caked in dirt. It looked like it had not been wiped down for months. There were dirty glasses left our the room. The phone and TV did not work in our room so we used a cell phone to call the front desk. When they came to our room we were told that there was nothing wrong with our phone we just needed to wriggle the wire a bit. The TV had some how been switch off cable, not done by us, and the hotel worker was quite upset with us for "wasting" their time. There was 4 of us in the room and only 4 towels, when I asked for more towels I was given another hand towel-after the money I paid to stay there it should have been a new, large bath towel. Stay way from this hotel unless you like arrogant staff, old small, towels and a filthy place to stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Chris F
Calhoun, Georgia
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We decided to stay here to get off the road due to the snow headed towards Atlanta. When we checked into our room, we noticed that the staff was sitting in the lobby reading newspaper and talking. The carpet leading to the room was horribly dirty. When we got into our room we always to an inspection of the bed and pillows. All pillows had yellow stains on them and the sheets had human and dog hair on them. Request for a room change was granted. Room #2 Walked through the room and first thing I saw was a Deer Park water bottle on top of the microwave that had only backwash left in it. The pillows were stained yellow and the sheets and bed spread had hair all over it. The toilet had Boo boo splash on it. UGH. The only excuse the Front desk gave us was that they are a pet friendly hotel and it's hard to remove all hair. NO it's not hard to clean properly. We are traveling with small children so we decided to leave the hotel. We noticed we were sort of stuck due to the snow so they put us in another room. The third room as a king and queen in the same room with mix match comforters. All night long I smelled dog urine in the corner by my bed and it kept me up all night. Please whatever you do. Sleep in your car not here. Not worth 3 stars at all. Can't wait until daylight to leave. I'd rather drive on ice then be here.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

1 Thank TiffanyB32
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calhoun
Super 8 Calhoun
La Quinta Inn & Suites Dalton
Hampton Inn Dalton
Hampton Inn Dalton
#5 of 22 in Dalton

Been to La Quinta Inn Calhoun? Share your experiences!