“Major Issue Ruined My Opinion”

Holiday Inn Express Calhoun
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Calhoun
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Major Issue Ruined My Opinion”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

The staff is nice. The hotel was clean. The beds are very comfortable. But after my second night, I was greeted to no water and no answers.

I came to Northwest Georgia to photograph a major music festival. The festival had camping, but I knew working 14+ hour days and being on my feet the whole time, I'd want a nice bed and a shower. This is the reason I booked a room more than 40 mins from the festival. I didn't mind driving the distance to insure I'd be clean each day. Well to wake up after a full day at the event to find I wouldn't get a shower, I was extremely disappointed. The hotel staff said there was a leak and the water needed to be turned off. They said they tried to contact me twice - which never happened. They said the water was turned off 10 mins before I noticed.

I understand these things happen. But there was virtually no one else at the hotel. If water needed to be turned off, couldn't they have knocked on my door? It's not like the place was full of guests. And then to have no answers as to when it was going to be back on made things even worse. On top of that, there was a hotel right next door... couldn't they have immediately called that hotel to make some sort of arrangement? In other words, I was out of luck and would go another day without a shower.

This place could be a great hotel had it not been for that very bad experience.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank dougvansant
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Calhoun, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear dougvansant,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments online. It is nice to know that you found our rooms to be adequate for your needs. However, I would like to take this opportunity to apologize about the unusual occurrence about the shower situation. We take all feedback seriously and your comments will be helpful for us to enhance what we can offer.

Best Regards,

Pam G
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Never disappointed with Holiday Inn Express. We where traveling from Augusta Ga, from the Masters. Walked in with no problem and got a room. Friendly staff, clean rooms, breakfast always has plenty of a variety of items. From fresh fruit, dry cereals, eggs, waffles, sweet breads, Good coffee. And always restocked. Would recommend a stay at this property.

Room Tip: Walking distance to restaurants. Easy access to interstate.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Calhoun, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear RAN1958,

Thank you for taking the time out our your busy day to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. We are pleased you enjoyed your overall experience with us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve the quality and service we offer.

Joel B
Rocky Face, Georgia
Reviewed 14 April 2014

thank you for a great place to stay. the staff was wonderful and very helpful. thr rooms were very clean . i would gladly stay there again....The breakfast was really good everything was hot and nicely prepared

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Glenview, Illinois
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Convenient place to stay. Very pleasant surrounding to this place. Newly renovated motel. All nice new and comfortable furnishings. Refrigerator and microwave in room. Good morning breakfast. Each room gets a free news paper. Staff is very pleasant.staff. Really enjoyed staying here.

Room Tip: Two story. If u can get first go for it.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Rosario
Reviewed 12 April 2014

It's basically a bit below the usual standards for H I Express.....but rooms were OK, bed quite comfortable and good wifi. Other than that, the Fitness Center should be ashamed to be called "Fitness Center".

In our case we only spent 1 night, so it was OK.....but for longer stays, I would not recomend it at all.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Capodicapi2
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Calhoun, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Dear Capodicapi2,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. We are glad to see that you left some feedback on what you liked as well as what fell below your expectations. We are deeply sorry for any inconveniences you have experienced due to the fitness center. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. We are hospitality professionals and strive to be the best. Your comments will be looked into.

Jaime W
Royal Center, Indiana
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I have stayed in many Holiday Inn Express Hotels and in my opinion this one was one of the worst I've stayed in. In my opinion it didn't seem to be quite up to the same standards as others I have been to. The fridge and microwave were not plugged in. We had to pull out the tv stand to plug them in and it was not very clean back there. The lamp also wasn't plugged in. One of the light bulbs in the bathroom was out. We only got 1 room key and it quit working the next morning. (Easily fixed by going to the front desk but an inconvenience) Breakfast area/lobby was small in my opinion.
The beds and floors were clean. I'm sure if I would have asked they would have came and plugged in everything and changed the light bulb but we were tired and didn't want to mess with people coming up to the room.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Emily H
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Calhoun, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Emily H,

Ben J
Cambridge, Maryland
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I am a frequent traveler and I stay in many hotels. I am usually at a hotel for business at least 3 to 4 days a week. I have stayed at this hotel several times over the past couple of years and being that it an older hotel they are for sure putting money back into it. Every time I stop in there is something new done to the place. The front desk staff has changed a couple of times but the General Manager now Kasondra seems to really know what she is doing. Some of the people I had to check in the hotel with in the past were not the brightest light bulbs on the shelf. I think Kasondra is doing an excellent job. I had a couple of reservation issues for future stays and she jumped right in and got me fixed up. There are plenty of restaurants in the area and a bar for drinks in walking distance. This is a great little stop for a warry traveler.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Kasondra H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Calhoun, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback. I’m so glad that you stayed here with us at the Holiday Inn Express Calhoun, GA. Thank you so so much for the kind words about myself and the staff. We are growing and always wanting people like yourself to come back and enjoy the stays you have with us here. If there’s anything you would like to add please feel free to contact us. We look forward to seeing you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calhoun
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Calhoun
La Quinta Inn Calhoun
#5 of 17 in Calhoun
Baymont Inn & Suites Calhoun
Hampton Inn & Suites Adairsville

Been to Holiday Inn Express Calhoun? Share your experiences!