“What does nonsmoking mean?”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Carrollton
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I booked this room based on price. I didn't have high expectations. The room was as clean as it could be given the generally run down condition of the property. The bed was comfortable and the ventilator could be set to provide a continuous stream of white noise to muffle the sounds from outside the room. The breakfast fare was the most minimal I've seen at any motel. Just one kind of cereal. No skim milk. When we opened the door to the room, we were hit with a blast of cigarette odor. I noticed that someone had opened the bathroom door so forcefully that they had knocked the doorknob bumper right through the wall. Not wanting to be blamed for this, I went down the the desk to report it. They said they would fix it, which they did the next morning. I also asked if I was given the correct room, because this was obviously a smoking room and we had booked a nonsmoking room. The manager said that they just needed to deodorize the room and immediately dispatched the desk clerk to our room. He entered with a big spray bottle. While we waited outside, he entered and commenced a full scale assault with his sprayer. He exited and said it should be better now. Upon entering, we had the distinct impression that the Avon lady's sample case had exploded. We shut the door and went to dinner. Upon our return, the room had reverted to its normal Marlboro odor. The perfume didn't stand a chance. I noticed the desk clerk delivering ionizing room deodorizers to two other rooms, so this seems to be par for the course at this property. When I took a shower, the towel I dried off with was permeated with the smell of cigarette smoke. Disgusting! I had trouble falling asleep because of the thick odor of the pillow and bedclothes. Ugh! It is apparently the philosophy of this motel to instantly change the designation of the room from smoking to nonsmoking from day to day. If you are a smoker, I'm sure you will love this place. Otherwise, beware. I give it two stars because I didn't see any bugs.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank OhioOrienteer

Reviewed 6 April 2012

Need to stay for a week for work assignment. I enjoyed my staying as you have several places to get a quick and good dinner. Room has the basic stuff you need for working, place is clean and neat, Comming from California this place seems to me a quiet place. Price is great, specially if planning on extended staying.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Passing thru and actually looked up Hampton Inn and as we were trying to find it we came across this location. The beds are so comfortable as well as the Chase to relax in while watching tv. Room was very spacious, was decorated very well and has Duncan Donuts in the plaza with them so we did not try breakfast. Checking in was done quickly, friendly and she advised us what we were close to! This is where we will stay when traveling in this area.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank concerned4u
Reviewed 2 November 2011

This is a terriable hotel except for the lowest of expectations. I stayed with a group that had almost 10 rooms, so i got to see more of the property - not just one bad room. This as a group of high school boys - and they complained about the conditions - and you should know that high school boys are not the pickiest group and certainly not the most concerned with cleanliness and neatness.

Where to begin?
the property is run down with paint peeling, discolored walls, warped doors, just generally in bad shape. there was a puddle of water on top of the heater/ac unit inside my room, even though it had not rained for days (or more). Many spots of discoloration on the walls (not sure if it was mold - but nasty all the same)
even though teh hotel is "non-smoking" there were cigarette burns in the covers of more than one room. One of the rooms even had an ashtray in it!
the beds are doubles, but they look even smaller.
apparently there are many contract workers who stay at the hotel during the week and then go home on the weekend, as it was told to me by the front desk person because the hotel was "full" but many of the guests (almost residents) were gone for the weekend but not checked out (as to avoid paying the hotel tax for longer stays whcih then qualify as rent). During both stays (once 3 yrs ago) i observed residents carrying large packages of beer to their room. There was even a group in the breezeway drinks the beer, smoking, and playing dice on the floor.
The lady at teh desk was very nice and helpful, but that cant overcome the poor conditions of the property.
teh breakfast was serviceable - cold cereal, fruit, packaged oatmeal, donut holes and breakfast bread.

all in all - not the kind of place i would stay at for an overnight trip unless a last resort.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
6  Thank marieatta_pman
Reviewed 18 November 2010

My husband and I travelled for an event and chose this place because he had points for a stay. We didn't expect much because the point value was so low (6K) and we'd spent 20K in points to stay at another place within the system at Tybee Is, GA and it was terrible. Well, this place was a palace compared to the other. Great size, nice furniture in rm. The chair for using WI-FI was a great padded office chair, very comfortable. The chaise lounge was big enough to sleep a small child. The room help was very friendly and helpful. The shower was relaxing, nice water flowing head. The tapwater there was even tastey. Anything we wanted was close by - groceries, stores, restaurants. The only issue we had wasn't the room, it was the location - hard to find since you had to drive to a light and make a U turn to the entrance, not in the control of the hotel. When I went to the free breakfast I passed a washer/dryer area, too.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank arimuse
Reviewed 22 April 2010

The staff were very friendly. The Continental Breakfast was satisfying. The Coffee was hot and good. The bed was as comfortable as you can get anywhere. I needed it because the night before I did not get any sleep at all because of the drive to Carrollton, Georgia.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JACKandHELEN41312
Reviewed 5 July 2009

I stayed at the Quality Inn in Carrollton and although my visit was tolerable, I would recommend that you try to stay somewhere else if possible.

When I went to the hotel, I was not aware that there was a youth baseball tournament in town and that there was team in town staying at the hotel. The customer service was wonderful and helpful, the parking was great, and hotel was in a safe area with a wonderful swimming pool.

As for the room, the room I stayed at was okay. The remote control did not work and the bed was not too comfortable and the bathroom was just too small. If you are someone who needs a good night sleep, this hotel might not be the right fit since you can hear people talking outside your room and in other rooms.

The breakfast that the hotel offers is just basic with cereal, oatmeal, English muffins, muffins and juice. This is a good hotel to spend the night if you are traveling in a group or checking in at the last minute, but my advice to you is to try to check in the Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn, the Jameson Inn or drive a half hour north to Bremen where you have a better selection of hotels. I would recommend this hotel to other guest; however, I suggest you find out if there are any major events happening in Carrollton before going. There was a youth baseball team at the hotel and had I knew that they were staying there, I would have spent the night in Bremen since the team was up very late at night and I did not sleep well because of the activities.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank SETraveler2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carrollton
Super 8 Carrollton GA
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Carrollton West
Super 8 Tallapoosa
Super 8 Tallapoosa
#1 of 1 in Tallapoosa

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!