“One of the very few "good establishments" left in this industry”

Best Western Plus Carrollton Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Carrollton
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

One of the very few "good establishments" left in this industry. My word choice may date me, however those two words (good establishment) are exactly what come to mind when describing this hotel. And I honestly can't remember the last time I felt thus inclined about any business. The hotel is clean, well-maintained and more than adequate to accommodate your needs in Carrollton, G.A. Add to that an extremely proactive and friendly staff and your set. It takes years of experience doing it right to become established. And it takes each employee smiling at the very opportunity to help a customer to be good. This hotel actually has both. Staying here reminded me just what hard-work and dedication can accomplish.

• Stayed: January 2014
925ashleym, Manager at Best Western Plus Carrollton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us a very nice review! We do pride ourselves on working hard to please every guest when you are the guest in front of us you are the only guest in the hotel. We do enjoy each guest and taking care of all of the needs that we can accomdate.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

Signs at this Holiday Inn Express at two non-main entrances state “For Your Protection This Door Is Locked At All Times”.

Not true. Both the door mostly on the East side of the facility and the door on the South side of the facility facing the Hampton hotel do NOT lock. Therefore, at any time of the day or night anyone for any reason may waltz into this Holiday Inn Express whether a guest of a person intent on mischief.

Security risk? What do you think?

I approached the front desk the p.m. of August 23rd to speak to someone about this glaring omission. I found and spoke to Ashley Masters, Assistant General Manager who was seated at the front desk. I spoke of a possible rape or robbery given that someone could slip in without being seen by someone at the front desk. She was more than disinterested in what I said. She seemed to not care whatsoever!

You could be sexually assaulted or merely physically attacked and robbed by someone gaining entry through these doors.

If either occurred you would have a cause of action against Holiday Inn Express, both the locally owned facility and the corporate facility (Thomas R Oliver, CEO, Holiday Inn, Suite 1450, 11766 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles California 90025).

I do not know who owns this franchise entity, but I certainly believe that he, she or it does not care much for maintenance or its guest’s safety. On a much minor note, the first room we checked into had no stopper in the sink. Good luck to a contact lens wearer!

The second room was similarly deficient: the toilet seat was about ready to fall off. One risked sliding off onto the floor if one were not careful when sitting! The maid’s tip was that such maintenance items must be reported. These two instances pale in comparison to the tremendous security issues you face if you choose to stay here.

I suggest that you vote with your dollars and feet and DO NOT STAY at the Holiday Inn Express Carrollton GA until the ownership begins to take seriously the posted signs outside their doors and simple maintenance items in the rooms.

(Please note several other reviews of this facility mention the doors that DO NOT LOCK. Note the dates of the reviews. Obviously the management/ownership does not care and this is more than sad. Also note that management frequently responds to reviews here usually, when the reviews are negative, with platitudes. A word to the wise should be sufficient! Good luck.)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank idemandthebest
925ashleym, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Carrollton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

While it is very difficult to read an email that outlines your experience, I do appreciate the feedback, and we need to hear how the actual stay was experienced. I also appreciate that you had enough care and concern to bring the issues to our attention and I apologize we did not take the opportunity to resolve the issue immediately and to connect on a level that shows our care and concern.
I do want you to know that while the conversation about the situation came across as disinterested it was taken to heart, recognized as a guest safety issue, written up on a work order, given to our maintenance department and resolved. What you took the time to let us know was very relevant and important. In this case our actions to resolve were stronger than the words and actions we used to support the conversation.
The hotel also reviewed the rooms that you had occupied and took the steps to correct the issues you had noted as well, I appreciate the notation as minor, but small things like your experienced contribute to the overall experience and our goal is to have safe and satisfied hotel guests.
While you did not experience the best we had to offer, we apologize and hope you will give us consideration in the future, and we thank you again for your feedback and concern for future guests.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

We had to stay here for one night while visiting family in the area. The front desk staff were very friendly. The breakfast was good and the person tending the buffet was very nice. But that's where the positives end. The hotel is old and in need of repairs. There were holes with poor repair work on the walls in our room, dark marks and stains, cracked caulk in the bathroom, dinged and dirty floor boards. Plus the room smelled incredibly musty. The bed was hard and uncomfortable, the pillows lumpy and small. The air conditioner was insanely noisy and the switches were broken off making it difficult to change the settings. This room wasn't worth half what we paid. Stay elsewhere if you can. I know there aren't many options in the area.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank mnicks99
925ashleym, Manager at Best Western Plus Carrollton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

I am sorry about you recent stay at our hotel. Se are renovating our rooms so these type of things do not happen in the future. We hope that you will stop by and give us another try someday!

Reviewed 13 July 2013 via mobile

I made a reservation over the phone when in route to Carrollton. I had business there or I would have kept going. Rooms where average. Breakfast normal for holiday inn express.
But, my issue was when I called I specifically asked if the had laundry facility on the property. I canceled my reservation at the Hampton next door just because they said they didn't have laundry facility. Needless to say they HIE didn't have it. They sent me to the downtown area to this armpit of a laundry mat called the wash bowl. Nasty dirty place. Don't go there!!!!
The desk clerk did feel bad and gave me like $5 off my room rate, but I specifically asked how the laundry mat was, and he said it was a nice one. Yuk!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank BusinessTraveler046
925ashleym, Manager at Best Western Plus Carrollton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2013

I'm sorry about the miscommunication. I hope the rest of your stay was great.

Reviewed 9 July 2013

Check in/out was great a lady named Tonya was polite and cheery assured us if we needed anything to let her know....room was spotless not even a smudge on the mirror they take ALOT OF PRIDE IN THEIR SERVICE!!! Housekeeping was great taking consideration that people could've been still sleeping!! NEVER STAYING AT ANOTHER HOTEL BUT HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013

I'm so happy you enjoyed your stay! We pride ourselves on great service. I hope you stay again soon.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

This is a tough review because I really enjoyed the staff, but they are the only thing that offsets a poorly maintained property. Even one of the front desk commented "a lot of things are broken around here" and he was right. There are 4 pieces of equipment in the fitness center and 2 are broken. There is no Purell or sanitary wipes to help keep it clean. The doors are NOT locked so entry is easy for anyone, guest or not. The ice machine on the 3rd floor was broken the entire time I stayed there. There is a "cover up" fragrance in the hallways. And the beds are due for a refurb! Still, the staff are friendly, as helpful as they can be and just nice. Mostly they are local folks and/or students at the nearby university. The pool is nice, but needs some attention to get the bugs out. The free breakfast is ho-hum, not terribly healthy, but probably par for the course. The housekeeping staff was helpful and does a good job keeping the rooms clean.

Room Tip: Rooms at the end of the hallway are quieter. One of the rooms has a very low sink, almost like a ha...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Judy O
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Carrollton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

Dear Judy O,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our staff.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the fitness center and the ice maker. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 14 April 2013

Stayed at this property this past weekend. While we know it's been there for a while, the property itself was well-kept and bright. Rooms very clean, as were the bathrooms. Furniture was fine. Time to replace the mattresses and add some charging abilities (plugs) between the beds!
I MUST say the food prep (breakfast) area was not only immaculate (GREAT pancake machine by the way), the food was very good and the attention to detail during food service was impeccable! VERY IMPRESSED!'

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
925ashleym, Manager at Best Western Plus Carrollton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

Thank you for choosing us we hope to see you again soon.