“Worth the trip. All ages will enjoy…..”

Tellus Science Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: Tellus is a 120,000 square foot science museum located in Cartersville, just north of Atlanta. Tellus Science Museum is a Smithsonian Institute Affiliate Museum, which houses four major galleries - Weinman Mineral Gallery, Fossil Gallery, Science in Motion Gallery, and My Big Back Yard. In addition, the museum includes a fossil dig and gem panning hands-on experience, a planetarium, and an observatory.
Reviewed 23 August 2014

This is a wonderful museum, there's something for everyone and every age. The exhibits in their transportation area include: vintage cars, planes, a space capsule, space suits, rockets, even a couple lunar rocks. The gem and mineral section of the museum is fabulous. It is interesting & educational and can be enjoyed by all age groups. There is an area for the kids to pan for tiny gems (and get wet) as well as a fossil area where they find small fossil treasures…There is also a kid's area they call The Backyard . There are a few fun things there; but let's say, there's room for improvement here. Over all…..a great time will be had by all. P.S. Pack a picnic and get your hand stamped (beware the stamp will stay on a week) go out to the pavilion and enjoy a little outside fun too!

TellusMarketing, Public Relations Manager at Tellus Science Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Thank you for the glowing 5 dot review! In reference to your comment about My Big Backyard gallery, I'd like to mention that we are currently restructuring the gallery to add space for special exhibits. While we tried to renovate without disturbing your visit or appearing as a construction zone, it seems we failed to inform our guests why some areas were sparse. Thank you for helping us correct this mistake for future exhibits.

The first exhibit will be called Roll, Drop, Bounce and opens in late September 2014. I hope you'll make another trip out to visit this hands-on, super fun exhibit! If you haven't already, I invite you to sign up on our e-newsletter list so you'll know more about our upcoming events.

All reviews
in 19 reviews
"gift shop"
in 23 reviews

Reviewed 23 August 2014

My 12 year old son and I visited this museum while on vacation in the area. We enjoyed all of the exhibits, including the special train exhibit and the Solar House. He studies many of these subjects in his Science Class. I hope that the great displays we saw at Tellus help him understand the material during the school year. My only regret is that we don't live closer. This would be an awesome field trip!

Thank you so much for adding Tellus Science Museum to your "must see" list while traveling through Georgia! We appreciate your 5 dot review and hope you'll visit with us again during your next pass through our state.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Very well done. Staff dressed as scientists were superb! Kids of all ages had a great time. The room for panning gems and fossils was a good hands on experience.

TellusMarketing, Public Relations Manager at Tellus Science Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Thank you for coming to Night at the Museum! It was a fantastically fun event. Hope you'll visit the museum again soon.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

This is the best kids science museum that I attended so far. I liked it even more than OMCI in Portland, OR. We attended it with our 5 y.o grandson and WOWs started right outside on the grounds when we saw the humongous Komatsu dump truck (you cannot even imagine the size of this monster and comprehend that machinery like this can be operated by humans), 1930 locomotive and crane. Truth be told, even after museum, we still came back to see all those machines again - this is how much they captured 5 y.o. heart and imagination.

Inside of the museum was equally impressive: amazing display of the dinosaurs; digging with brushes for fossils like real paleontologists and panning for gems were so much fun - they even let you to find and bring home some real tooth fossils and gems; Science in Motion room and displays were breathtaking - starting from the vintage mechanical carriages and ending with sputniks and cosmic displays; and of course My Big Back Yard science gallery for kids was a big hit for kids at heart of all ages. The Planetarium shows different movies at certain times (you need to buy a separate ticket for the planetarium). Minerals collection was really interesting.

To summarize all that in one word - it was 'GREAT'!

Wow! Thanks for the 5 dot review and for your kind words. We hope you'll visit with us again soon!

See more reviews
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The outside grounds are absolutely beautiful. Then all the interesting artifacts you can want to enjoy inside. I especially enjoyed the mineral museum! Experienced the virtual theatre,mining for gems,shopped in the store and ate at the café (great chicken salad). My granddaughter and I spent the day and I can't believe I waited so long to see this.I've been to museum's in DC and this one is all you want it to be!

TellusMarketing, Public Relations Manager at Tellus Science Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

We love earning 5 dot reviews! We are so proud to be held in the same esteem as museums in DC. We hope you'll visit with us often!