“Disappointed”

Budgetel Cartersville
Ranked #20 of 23 Hotels in Cartersville
Reviewed 14 September 2012

America's Best Inn & Suites

First I'll begin with how we chose this place. Wait, no. Ill begin with saying Im not joking but this is a review of a hotel with first world problems. Most hotel reviews ARE, considering we use our computers, iPods and iPads to complain about how ugly, dirty, or poorly managed a place is or isn't. In the grand scheme of things, I try to remember there are people going to sleep with no food or shelter tonight. Ok, enough serious stuff.

We read stellar reviews on tripadvisor.com. We were impressed with the fact that the owner of the hotel seemed to reply to each comment-good or bad-in a very appropriate, professional manner. Most hotels in this area had awful reviews. It was twenty-nine dollars and ninety-five cents to stay here on hotelcoupons.com. Clearly this is the hotel for us. Clearly.

I called to verify the price & availability. Whoever I spoke to was cordial. When she asked when we'd be getting in, I said, "Late. Like 1-2am." I'm pretty sure I heard her wince and I chalked it up to things always being more complicated for late check-ins. She said something about a night worker, we exchanged a few details and I hung up. Soon we discovered the real reason for the audible wince.

We drove up earlier than we anticipated, to a 1950's design motel. My sister and I walked into a narrow lobby. The rest of the lobby is on lockdown like a bank.  Suctioned cupped and paper-protectored to the second set of glass doors was a sign saying, "WE ARE OPEN!!!! For late night check-in and/or for emergencies or maintenance issues, please call ###-###-#### Someone will be with you shortly. Thank you for your patience -ABIS." I called the number and a groggy voice mumbled hello. I looked at my phone to make sure I didn't call the wrong number. This person was obviously sleeping. "Hello? Um...I'm calling to check-in." We exchange enough information in her groggy state. She was nice but she was sleeping. We waited and waited. But I was thanked in advance for my patience by a welcoming paper sign so I stayed. My mom called from the car and was like whats going on? I said, "Well, apparently the late night check-in person has to go brush her teeth and put some pants on cuz she was sleeping when I called." Fortunately there is plenty to do while you wait in that skinny room. There is a convenient plaid bench to sit on. Lots of pamphlets. A magazine with a 60-something lady sitting on a Harley in leather underwear. I mean what else can you ask for? You can drool over the vending machine or the ice in the locked down lobby. Or you can check out breakfast that was already laid out at 11:50pm. I don't know about you but I love nothing more than to stand in an empty lobby area at night as a young woman not getting mugged AND dreaming about my stale donuts and golden grahams.

Sleepy attendant arrives 10-15 min later just as we were about to leave to another hotel.  My patience is minimal when Im concerned for my safety. I figured if THIS is America's Best....I may be better off in the hotels with bad reviews. Boy am I glad we didn't miss out on the rest of this experience. We yelled our phone number across the several glass windows/doors while she lip read. By now another late check-in arrived: an older male who reeked and got to memorize our phone number and zip code and which room we were staying in. We were handed a plastic card key and the tv remote. Whuuu? I've stayed at some-let's say economical- places but I've never been handed the tv remote with my key. I'd love to know that back story when Owner replies.

We park. We open the door. I wish I could take some pictures of the smell for you. Cigarettes. Mmm. My fave. Visibly clean but stinky in there. This has the usual "great value" hotel ingredients: (that I'm seriously accustomed to, I'm not making fun this part) tacky curtains and linens, squeaky desk, tv, fridge, microwave, yellowing bathroom with a few no-slip strips missing in the tub, "exfoliating" towels...the ketchup packet-like Shampoo was a new one for me. Definitely saves on packaging costs and the environmental go-green thing.

We realize immediately were going to need more than two scratchy towels. At this point we're very far into mentally preparing a yelp and tripadvisor review. (Ive never written one before today.) I call the front desk from the ancient phone and I get, not Sleeping Employee, but a recording. Ok for $30/night I shouldn't make fun of this I guess. But again, I've stayed at $30 hotels often. There's always a human of some kind who can begrudgingly bring you porcupine towels. Or a passive aggressive individual who brings them hours after you ask. There's at least the option of a human telling you they can't or won't bring you towels. No.

I decide to bathe my toddler anyway and find that we have run into our first "big" first-world problem. The water was cold. I put only the hot water on and that was tepid. Maybe my coupon price doesn't include hot water? My sister took a shower and said "The water wasn't cold, Jen. The hot water just goes in and out like their wi-fi."

I won't say much about the mattresses with plastic covering and some other mattress protector layer cuz that makes sense to keep it clean.

Ok so hopefully, though this review was dripping in sarcasm, it will make you laugh as much as we have tonight about all this. And hire a night time person who stays awake. And get a crap-load of things changed if you want to represent America. Pretty please.

• Stayed: September 2012
6  Thank Hislivelystone
tafproperties2, Owner at Budgetel Cartersville, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2012

We here at Americas Best Inn and Suites in Cartersville are happy to announce that we just received "Outstanding Property of the year 2012" and the Gold Medal award for Economy Hotels in the ABF Franchise !
Dear Disappointed,
Thank you for your review.
The Good:
We are happy that you took the time to read our reviews before choosing us.
We appreciate you taking advantage of our coupons available at Hotelcoupons.com
Our initial contact was cordial we are glad to hear.
The not so Good:
We take every response extremely serious and are willing to personally respond to all reviews good or not so good. You may contact us back personally at our listed number and ask for the owner. We are available for all feedback. Most owners today are cutting back due to the limited travel of guest in this down economy.
Our staff works extremely long hours and are making the best of these days.
Our response to the remote controls are as simple as cost replacement.
We will continue to operate at maximum efficiency while still working to control our bottom line.
Our Hot water is equipped with (3) 100 Gallon heaters ( just recently installed) and is on a recirculating system with a backup pump. We are not sure why you had an issue with it, but are looking into it.

Again, All reviews are systematically broken down and each and every item will be looked at and corrected as needed. Please call us anytime if you have any issues with your room.

Terry ( Owner)

Reviewed 3 July 2012

The people were very helpful, a quiet place to spend the night. It has seen better days and is looking tired and older in the rooms. The breakfast was week but overall there are no complaints.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

We appreciate all of the Great responses. It helps us to know what our guests are saying about our great value location.
We are always improving our rooms as the economic situation allows. All of our profits go back into maintenance and upgrades. Thanks again to our wonderful staff and customers !!

Reviewed 20 April 2012

I don't remember a restaurant or fitness center, but I was busy most of the time I was there away from the hotel. I had a very clean and nice room. Upon check in I was treated very well and, since I was a woman travelling alone, I was given a room near the front of the hotel. My room was well stocked with "the necessities" The bed was very comfortable. The hotel is in a good location near the interstate. I cannot figure out how they have such good service and clean rooms for the very reasonable price they charge. I will definitely stay here when I return to the area.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
tafproperties2, Owner at Budgetel Cartersville, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2012

Thanks to the latest compliment on our reasonable prices along with the staff comment. We try very hard to make our location the most economical and valued in the area. Our customers are really number one in our business. Please try us out and we will always do everything we can to make your stay a great one!

Reviewed 18 April 2012

I love the fact that this hotel was off I-75. There was a wreck near Exit 290 that backed up the Interstate on my way to Florida. Traffic made it impossible to do anything but wait and so I remembered staying at an America's Best Inn and Suites in Glens Falls/ Queensbury, New York. I was very tired and wanted to relax and unwind. I checked into the hotel, and was greeted by a nice lady who made sure I was able to get a room on the ground floor. The room was spotless and everything was in order. I love choosing an American owed motel. Thanks again. America's Best Inn & Suites in Cartersville, GA.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
tafproperties2, Owner at Budgetel Cartersville, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2012

Sorry about the accident on the interstate near us and we hope the people involved are OK.

Myself and the staff want to personally thank you for the review. I am pretty sure you meant "Cheap" instead of "Creap" LOL ....Anyway, We sorta like to use the term "Value" ....But appreciate the review very much !! Let us know if we can help you again anytime.
Owner

Reviewed 12 April 2012

My friend and I meet there to play golf and it is a great spot. Price is incredibly cheap and rooms are spotless!!!! Have friendly staff and great pool.

• Stayed: April 2012
tafproperties2, Owner at Budgetel Cartersville, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2012

Thank you for your review. The Golf courses are great in this area. Lake Pointe sports will soon be breaking ground and will feature all types of sports !!

Reviewed 9 February 2012

I was very happy with the service I received from this hotel. I found the employees to be very helpful in accomodating me through my time here. I will stay here again in the near future. Rooms were clean and everything was in order. I didn't feel like leaving to go out for food because of my long drive. And they had companies that delivered there which was so convenient and cheap. Thanks for a great stay, it made me feel right at home.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We are a traveling construction crew. We have been very satisfied with the accommodations and would absolutely stay again if in the area. The staff and upper management are very helpful and always happy to help :)

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Concrete T
tafproperties2, Owner at Budgetel Cartersville, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2012

The Staff and management here at the Cartersville location appreciate you for allowing us to host your crews. We continue to update and improve the property. Hospitality is our number one priority. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for your company. I am available 24/ 7/ 365.
Sincerely, Terry