“Noisy, awful place”

Ranked #22 of 23 Hotels in Cartersville
New Freedom, Pennsylvania
“Noisy, awful place”
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I booked a room in August for a trip in December. I picked this hotel because it allowed dogs. My first clue to a potential problem should have been the billboards for an Adult Superstore at the same exit. My second clue should have been the ripped, tattered, blowing in the wind "sign" banner. Upon arrival they did not have my reservation, the receptionist eventually indicated they did have a room and took 20 minutes to "register" us.

We checked into the room which is bare bones, i think we were lucky to get towels. The beds had plastic mattress covers which was probably a good thing but noisy if you move or roll over. The bright light outside the window meant we always knew where we were in the room. The people having uninspired sex in the room next to us did eventually stop. The noise from the highway wasn't so loud as to overtake the cheap tv's volume.

The folks who use the back side of this as their residence and allowed their two yappy little dogs to run out of their room and harass my leashed dog totally ignored me when I asked them to get their dogs back so I can't say anyone was intrusive. I did call the front desk about it and she already knew who I was talking about so I can't say she wasn't attentive.

All in all I would say simply, unless you are so tired you have no choice, don't stay here.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mid Atlantic N
tafproperties2, Owner at Budgetel Cartersville, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Thanks to all the travelers willing to review us ! We appreciate your comments and always will reply in a courteous manner. Let me address a few of the issues concerning the last review.

1) We absolutely do not have any control of other businesses located in the area. That is up to the county zoning board.
2) It should not take more than 5 minutes to check anyone, but our reservation system is down due to maintenance from time to time. We are looking into ways to improve the wait time.
3) Our pylon sign did sustain some wind damage due to all the storms recently. We are in the process of coordinating a repair.
4) Our outdoor security lighting meets the IES foot-candle requirements.
5) This property has 121 rooms. With our Low Low Rates, We welcome extended stay families and contractors on the premises as well as overnight stays.
6) If a traveler is ever uncomfortable with one of our rooms, We will change them to a new room until they are completely satisfied !!
Again, thank you for your review and please call our location and ask for the owner if you ever have any issues that concern your stay with us.
Sincerely, Terry.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Chicago
Reviewed 23 April 2013

The room was very tired looking. Dated furniture and TV. The bed was the oldest of them all. Way too low to the ground, not very comfortable and the pillows really need to be changed.

The reception was cordial and took our coupon without any problems. In fact, she was more than cordial, she was downright friendly! She told us how to get to the ice (in lobby) without getting soaked from the pouring rain. Gave us our room key and our remote (hummmmm?). She also gave us a room on the ground floor where we could back up our car and through our stuff in the room before it got soaked.

The breakfast was just white toast, instants oats and grit and coffee. We went to the Waffle House.

So, for the money, I would stay here because of the friendliness behind the counter, a clean room and no bugs or smells!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ChgotoCancun
tafproperties2, Owner at Budgetel Cartersville, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Thank you so much for taking your time to review our location. We are happy to hear your stay was a good one. We are looking into updating our rooms in the near future and possibly adding items to our continental breakfast.
Newnan, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 3 October 2012

I have stayed in this hotel about a dozen nights or so and have nothing but great things to say about it. Im not sure about the Disappointed review because they did not accurately descibe the property making me wonder if this is the hotel they stayed at. There are no vending or ice machines in the lobby. I generally check in between 11 pm and 130 am and the owner always comes right out I have never once seen a sign to call some number. The owner is always friendly to me and has even lent me his personal cell phone to call my wife. There are no magizines in the night time lobby are nor are there any of the flyers. No squeaky desk in any of the rooms. nice tv microwave and fridge. I have never seen any bugs in this place and my room has always been clean with no smells in it. I will gladly stay here again. The pool out front though small is kept very clean also.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 September 2012

America's Best Inn & Suites

First I'll begin with how we chose this place. Wait, no. Ill begin with saying Im not joking but this is a review of a hotel with first world problems. Most hotel reviews ARE, considering we use our computers, iPods and iPads to complain about how ugly, dirty, or poorly managed a place is or isn't. In the grand scheme of things, I try to remember there are people going to sleep with no food or shelter tonight. Ok, enough serious stuff.

We read stellar reviews on tripadvisor.com. We were impressed with the fact that the owner of the hotel seemed to reply to each comment-good or bad-in a very appropriate, professional manner. Most hotels in this area had awful reviews. It was twenty-nine dollars and ninety-five cents to stay here on hotelcoupons.com. Clearly this is the hotel for us. Clearly.

I called to verify the price & availability. Whoever I spoke to was cordial. When she asked when we'd be getting in, I said, "Late. Like 1-2am." I'm pretty sure I heard her wince and I chalked it up to things always being more complicated for late check-ins. She said something about a night worker, we exchanged a few details and I hung up. Soon we discovered the real reason for the audible wince.

We drove up earlier than we anticipated, to a 1950's design motel. My sister and I walked into a narrow lobby. The rest of the lobby is on lockdown like a bank.  Suctioned cupped and paper-protectored to the second set of glass doors was a sign saying, "WE ARE OPEN!!!! For late night check-in and/or for emergencies or maintenance issues, please call ###-###-#### Someone will be with you shortly. Thank you for your patience -ABIS." I called the number and a groggy voice mumbled hello. I looked at my phone to make sure I didn't call the wrong number. This person was obviously sleeping. "Hello? Um...I'm calling to check-in." We exchange enough information in her groggy state. She was nice but she was sleeping. We waited and waited. But I was thanked in advance for my patience by a welcoming paper sign so I stayed. My mom called from the car and was like whats going on? I said, "Well, apparently the late night check-in person has to go brush her teeth and put some pants on cuz she was sleeping when I called." Fortunately there is plenty to do while you wait in that skinny room. There is a convenient plaid bench to sit on. Lots of pamphlets. A magazine with a 60-something lady sitting on a Harley in leather underwear. I mean what else can you ask for? You can drool over the vending machine or the ice in the locked down lobby. Or you can check out breakfast that was already laid out at 11:50pm. I don't know about you but I love nothing more than to stand in an empty lobby area at night as a young woman not getting mugged AND dreaming about my stale donuts and golden grahams.

Sleepy attendant arrives 10-15 min later just as we were about to leave to another hotel.  My patience is minimal when Im concerned for my safety. I figured if THIS is America's Best....I may be better off in the hotels with bad reviews. Boy am I glad we didn't miss out on the rest of this experience. We yelled our phone number across the several glass windows/doors while she lip read. By now another late check-in arrived: an older male who reeked and got to memorize our phone number and zip code and which room we were staying in. We were handed a plastic card key and the tv remote. Whuuu? I've stayed at some-let's say economical- places but I've never been handed the tv remote with my key. I'd love to know that back story when Owner replies.

We park. We open the door. I wish I could take some pictures of the smell for you. Cigarettes. Mmm. My fave. Visibly clean but stinky in there. This has the usual "great value" hotel ingredients: (that I'm seriously accustomed to, I'm not making fun this part) tacky curtains and linens, squeaky desk, tv, fridge, microwave, yellowing bathroom with a few no-slip strips missing in the tub, "exfoliating" towels...the ketchup packet-like Shampoo was a new one for me. Definitely saves on packaging costs and the environmental go-green thing.

We realize immediately were going to need more than two scratchy towels. At this point we're very far into mentally preparing a yelp and tripadvisor review. (Ive never written one before today.) I call the front desk from the ancient phone and I get, not Sleeping Employee, but a recording. Ok for $30/night I shouldn't make fun of this I guess. But again, I've stayed at $30 hotels often. There's always a human of some kind who can begrudgingly bring you porcupine towels. Or a passive aggressive individual who brings them hours after you ask. There's at least the option of a human telling you they can't or won't bring you towels. No.

I decide to bathe my toddler anyway and find that we have run into our first "big" first-world problem. The water was cold. I put only the hot water on and that was tepid. Maybe my coupon price doesn't include hot water? My sister took a shower and said "The water wasn't cold, Jen. The hot water just goes in and out like their wi-fi."

I won't say much about the mattresses with plastic covering and some other mattress protector layer cuz that makes sense to keep it clean.

Ok so hopefully, though this review was dripping in sarcasm, it will make you laugh as much as we have tonight about all this. And hire a night time person who stays awake. And get a crap-load of things changed if you want to represent America. Pretty please.

• Stayed September 2012
6 Thank Hislivelystone
tafproperties2, Owner at Budgetel Cartersville, responded to this review, 15 September 2012
We here at Americas Best Inn and Suites in Cartersville are happy to announce that we just received "Outstanding Property of the year 2012" and the Gold Medal award for Economy Hotels in the ABF Franchise !
Dear Disappointed,
Thank you for your review.
The Good:
We are happy that you took the time to read our reviews before choosing us.
We appreciate you taking advantage of our coupons available at Hotelcoupons.com
Our initial contact was cordial we are glad to hear.
The not so Good:
We take every response extremely serious and are willing to personally respond to all reviews good or not so good. You may contact us back personally at our listed number and ask for the owner. We are available for all feedback. Most owners today are cutting back due to the limited travel of guest in this down economy.
Our staff works extremely long hours and are making the best of these days.
Our response to the remote controls are as simple as cost replacement.
We will continue to operate at maximum efficiency while still working to control our bottom line.
Our Hot water is equipped with (3) 100 Gallon heaters ( just recently installed) and is on a recirculating system with a backup pump. We are not sure why you had an issue with it, but are looking into it.

Again, All reviews are systematically broken down and each and every item will be looked at and corrected as needed. Please call us anytime if you have any issues with your room.

Terry ( Owner)

Travellers are raving about these Cartersville hotels

Beaufort
Reviewed 3 July 2012

The people were very helpful, a quiet place to spend the night. It has seen better days and is looking tired and older in the rooms. The breakfast was week but overall there are no complaints.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
, Owner at Budgetel Cartersville, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
We appreciate all of the Great responses. It helps us to know what our guests are saying about our great value location.
We are always improving our rooms as the economic situation allows. All of our profits go back into maintenance and upgrades. Thanks again to our wonderful staff and customers !!
West Long Branch
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I don't remember a restaurant or fitness center, but I was busy most of the time I was there away from the hotel. I had a very clean and nice room. Upon check in I was treated very well and, since I was a woman travelling alone, I was given a room near the front of the hotel. My room was well stocked with "the necessities" The bed was very comfortable. The hotel is in a good location near the interstate. I cannot figure out how they have such good service and clean rooms for the very reasonable price they charge. I will definitely stay here when I return to the area.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
tafproperties2, Owner at Budgetel Cartersville, responded to this review, 22 April 2012
Thanks to the latest compliment on our reasonable prices along with the staff comment. We try very hard to make our location the most economical and valued in the area. Our customers are really number one in our business. Please try us out and we will always do everything we can to make your stay a great one!
Williamsburg,Virginia
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I love the fact that this hotel was off I-75. There was a wreck near Exit 290 that backed up the Interstate on my way to Florida. Traffic made it impossible to do anything but wait and so I remembered staying at an America's Best Inn and Suites in Glens Falls/ Queensbury, New York. I was very tired and wanted to relax and unwind. I checked into the hotel, and was greeted by a nice lady who made sure I was able to get a room on the ground floor. The room was spotless and everything was in order. I love choosing an American owed motel. Thanks again. America's Best Inn & Suites in Cartersville, GA.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
tafproperties2, Owner at Budgetel Cartersville, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Sorry about the accident on the interstate near us and we hope the people involved are OK.

Myself and the staff want to personally thank you for the review. I am pretty sure you meant "Cheap" instead of "Creap" LOL ....Anyway, We sorta like to use the term "Value" ....But appreciate the review very much !! Let us know if we can help you again anytime.
Owner