“1st bed and breakfast experience and won't be our last!”

The Overlook Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Chatsworth B&B and Inns
Memphis
“1st bed and breakfast experience and won't be our last!”
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

My husband had a business meeting in Atlanta. We were looking for a place to get away near some Ellijay mtn bike trails. The Overlook Inn came up on my internet search and I called immediately!
We checked in at the adorable gift shop Friday evening. Elberta "Bert" is so friendly and has such a warmth/kindness about her-I can't really explain it but she just makes you feel so welcome without being over the top or trying to!
After check in, Bert walked us over to the Inn. It was foggy outside so we had no idea that we were surrounded by amazing views! We entered the main room and were greeted by guests enjoying the wine and cheese hour. They were having such a wonderful time I assumed they were vacationing together but they had actually just met! Before I knew it, Bert had served us wine, and we were all talking and having such a lovely time!
My husband and I took a few minutes to go see our room, The Prince Madoc, and get settled. We were very pleased! The room and bathroom were spotless with fresh linens and towels. Our jacuzzi tub had a pretty bag of bath salts for us to use that smelt incredible! The room had everything we needed: comfortable bed, pillows, refrigerator, bottle opener, wine bucket, and robes.
After settling in, we went back out into the main area. It was another guest's birthday. She wanted to bring her cake out and celebrate with all of us! It was so much fun and the homemade cake by Bert was delicious! We stayed up pretty late talking, laughing, having a good time!
In the morning, we dressed for our mountain bike ride and dined in the main room for breakfast. The chef, Brandi, is so talented and such a nice lady! She had prepared homemade apple muffins, granola, yogurt with fruit, and banana walnut pancakes. Everything was outstanding and the coffee was perfect! Exactly what we needed before our 14 mile bike trail!
After biking, we were wet and cold! It just happened to be time for tea and biscotti when got back to the Inn! The tea and friendly conversation warmed me up a little but afterwards I went straight to the jacuzzi tub! My husband started the fire in our room-which is a stunning stonewall fireplace! We relaxed the rest of the afternoon in our room and then attended the wine and cheese hour.
Earlier that day, another couple had found a restaurant in Ellijay with karaoke at night! So, 6 of us went in to town together :) We told Bert that we wouldn't be there for the dessert hour and she asked when she could expect us and that she would serve us then! We were actually an hour late but Bert was still up and had coconut cake, red velvet cake, and chocolate cake for all of us! She is fabulous!
The next morning the sun was out and we could see the spectacular views from our porch and the main room! Wow!
I can't say enough wonderful things about our experience! You can be as social as you'd like or just give a friendly nod and spend time on your own.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Katrina M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 17 March 2014

One of the best, most relaxing and enjoyable get-a-way weekends I've had in a LONG time. The cabin was quaint, cozy and clean. We were able to just relax, kick-back and take in the beautiful wooded views. We will most certainly be back! Thank you guys so much for helping take our minds off the busy city life!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Emmaus, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 March 2014

the best b&b we have ever stayed in. we just love it. beautiful clean rooms, fabulous breakfast, friendly,attentive staff. who could ask for more? my husband and i have been coming down from pa. every year since 2000. and don't forget the fireside basket, it is excellant! also be sure to go shopping in ellijay and dahlonega.

Room Tip: the celestial suite is our favorite
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2014

This was my husband's and my second visit to the Overlook Inn. The first, for our honeymoon, the second, our 10 year anniversary. The Innkeeper, Bert, went way above and beyond our expectations, making sure that our stay was special and memorable. She was accommodating and attentive, but never hovering. We had missed wine and cheese hour and she prepared a lovely tray with wine, cheese and crackers along with some other goodies and brought it to us outside so we could enjoy the breathtaking view of the mountains and even brought a blanket for us to knock some of the March winds off. The breakfasts were southern gourmet and scrumptious. The first day featured banana walnut pancakes and a fruit and yogurt parfait and the next eggs benedict and a baked grapefruit with fresh vanilla infused whipped cream and candied ginger along with blueberry and apple muffins and homemade granola that was offered each morning. The Overlook Inn is a southern jewel nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains that is quaint, secluded and very romantic. I highly recommend a visit to this bed and breakfast and will not wait 10 years again to revisit!

• Stayed March 2014
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I've stayed at B&Bs before; most were unremarkable bed/bath suites in someone's home, with store bought bread items for breakfast.

The Overlook Inn is so much more. First, the Inn is located near the Chattahoochee National Forest and also Ft. Mountain State Park, so outdoor adventures abound. I tried the Inn's own trail, called Robert's Trail, which is a 3-mile hike. I really enjoyed this hike...I liked the sound of wind in the trees, the waterfalls, creeks, and ponds, and also the climbs. Best advice: Wear waterproof shoes and find a walking stick...

The Inn is high on a ridge in the northern Georgia mountains, and there are scenic views from every angle. There's a highway overlook just across the street from the Inn, and a GDOT signboard says you're on the Cohutta-Chattahoochee Georgia Scenic Byway.

The Inn itself is a Craftsman-style building with a red metal roof. The interior features hardwood floors and exposed beam ceilings. The Council Room, where the breakfast area is located, has a large fireplace and wall-to-ceiling windows, enhancing the dramatic ridgetop view.

For breakfast, I enjoyed homemade granola with a selection of dried fruit. I also had the freshly-prepared stuffed French toast with raspberry sauce, which was excellent. The innkeeper told me that the menu changes daily, and other selections include eggs Benedict and banana walnut pancakes with cider-brandy sauce.

The Inn includes several bedroom-bathroom suites, and the innkeeper told me that some of the rooms have hot tubs. All have private or semi-private porches. I stayed in the Conquistador, which included, among the furnishings, a semi-private porch with rocking chairs, a gas fireplace, and a cozy bed. I peeked at the mattress: It's a Serta Diamond Elite pillowtop, and there was another pillowtop mattress cover on top of that. Cozy, plus plus....

The décor enhanced the experience, as, in the Craftsman style, many handmade pieces were featured. The chandelier in the Council Room is made of antlers; there's a stained glass piece that's made of bottles; the coffee mugs in the room are specially made for the Overlook Inn.

The staff couldn't have been nicer. I left feeling relaxed and refreshed after my visit to the Overlook Inn, and I look forward to returning.

Room Tip: I think they are all good rooms. The innkeeper says they are each a little different.
Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Boynton Beach, Florida
Reviewed 23 February 2014

This is a wonderful place. We have stayed several times and look forward to returning again soon! The rooms are private, they are well appointed and the beds are comfortable. The staff goes out of their way to be helpful and make every visit special.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thomaston, Georgia
Reviewed 30 December 2013

This is a gorgeous place! The staff are excellent and the food is awesome! I truly hated to leave!!! It's was so peaceful and comfortable there. The bed slept wonderful, I wish I had one at home. The best place ever!

Room Tip: Didn't mean to hit the pool button. There is no pool, so it didn't need to rate it. I loved...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatsworth
Reid Ridge Lodge
#2 of 4 in Jasper
Douglas Inn & Suites
Douglas Inn & Suites
#3 of 5 in Blue Ridge

Been to The Overlook Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!