“Second visit -- no better (possibly worse)”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of General Bragg Inn

General Bragg Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Chickamauga
Washington, DC
“Second visit -- no better (possibly worse)”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

This was my second stay at the Econo Lodge in Chickamauga. If it wasn't the nearest hotel to my family I would not stay here again. Ever.

See my original review: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g34835-d1474934-r81627970-Econo_Lodge-Chickamauga_Georgia.html

This hotel has not worn well. The rooms were poorly lit and felt dirty. Perhaps a coat of paint could get rid of the scuff marks and ickiness on the walls in the room and bathroom?

I will say that there was a mattress pad and bottom sheet on the bed this time. But, still, the only thing between you and the comforter is a VERY thin sheet. I don't think the comforters are washed frequently, which is why most hotels have moved to duvets. I know this is not a high end place, but still... icky.

The management were very nice. We had issues with out keys not working (again), and they fixed it all for us. They were also able to accommodate our late check in. But no manner of courtesy can make those rooms feel clean.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MrDarcyAndElizabeth

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Roanoke, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

I had to set up a block of rooms for a funeral and had several family members and friends coming into the Chickamauga area. Joyce, the lady who runs the front desk, was most helpful and hospitable. The Econo Lodge is one of the only places to stay in the area and I would reccomend it to anyone looking for a clean, friendly place to stay.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

The room was old and dirty. Stained carpet, stained wallpaper in bathroom, bathtub so dirty we would not shower there, hairs on sheets, etc. Two women and front desk were extremely nice and helpful, but we would never stay there again

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Lovetotravel5525
Newnan, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2011

As I said it is an Econo Lodge, not Hilton. Clean, fairly new, The only complaint is the management doesn't do English well. The breakfast selection was typical Econo.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank moparallen
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2011

we were forced out of our home due to storms in the area called them and they had a room ready check-in very smooth as well as check-out very nice and clean hotel with fridge/microwave

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dannyh25
Parrish, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2011

My wife and I were taking a vacation up from Florida this year, and our reservations at a different hotel somehow didn't go through. So, we were forced to find another one.

We happened to be in the Chickamauga area, and after asking around (the populace seemed rather friendly) we got pointed to this EconoLodge.

We didn't even get a room. I asked for information at the front desk, and the receptionist refused to give me any. I asked for the brochure (as it says on the door, ask for a brochure at the front desk for more information) and the receptionist refused again, saying he didn't care. Now, he didn't know much English, but after going in that circle a few times, he finally offered me A BUSINESS CARD. Which was entirely useless... I called the number and got him at the front desk, starting the same cycle again.

Frustrated, my wife and I had to leave and find another one. We eventually found a nice Best Western in Fort Oglethorpe, GA.

All in all, I have no idea how nice said hotel actually is, but if the service is anything like what the receptionist acts like, I'd definitely stay away.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Additional
Washington, DC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2010

My brother in law got married in Chickamauga in September 2010. The hotel choices for out of towners were VERY limited, and this was the nearest to the wedding site.

Unless you have no other options, I would not recommend this hotel. The owner/manager, while very nice and well meaning, appears to be a very inexperienced hotelier. The phone calls I had with him to make the reservation were difficult , and I was never quite sure we were on the same page. When I arrived, the owner was away and his daughter tried to check me in. This did not go smoothly. She did not know what a "billing address" was and I had a hard time explaining to her that it was my home address in Virginia. She also had an issue with my credit card (user error) and tried to take a photo copy of my card instead so she could enter the numbers when her father got back. Needless to say, I refused to allow her to have an image of my card or to write down the number.

There were also continued issues with the keys to the room. I managed to lock myself out of the room (totally my fault -- not theirs) but getting a new key that worked was quite challenging. After two days, one of the keys stopped working and we had to go back and have them re-magnetized. Again.

That brings me to the room. It was not very pleasant. Good thing: it was clean. Bad thing: it didn't feel clean. The room was very poorly lit, and several light bulbs were missing. The bed was VERY uncomfortable, with the thinnest sheets known to man. In fact, there was no fitted sheet on the bed at all, just a top sheet that was tucked in on the sides. When you sat on the bed it came un-tucked. By the time morning comes around, it's very likely that you're in direct contact with the mattress. SO ICKY.

I cannot begin to tell you how thin the walls were. If you have loud neighbors, you hear EVERYTHING.

There was an ironing board, but no iron (apparently they had a few at the front desk if you wanted to get one and then bring it back). The bathroom was fine, TV fine. Good hanging space for dresses, etc.

On checkout (which went fine when the owner himself was there), I mentioned the bottom sheet thing. He said they're working on getting new sheets. Until they do, stay away.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank MrDarcyAndElizabeth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chickamauga
Hampton Inn Ringgold-Ft. Oglethorpe
Home Town Inn
#5 of 6 in Ringgold
La Quinta Inn & Suites Chattanooga - East Ridge
Fairfield Inn & Suites Chattanooga South/East Ridge

Been to General Bragg Inn? Share your experiences!