“Bucking The Trend”

Batesville General Store
Ranked #13 of 55 Restaurants in Clarkesville
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Per other reviews, we too had driven by a couple of times and found it too packed to consider for a quick lunch during our trips to Helen for Polka-n-Paulaner at the Festhalle. This time, Oct 2013, we thought we'd lucked out; only a couple of scatter parked out front.

Walking on in through the screen door, we only had to wait a few minutes to be approached by a smiling server who stumbled over her smile when we asked to see a menu before being seated. For us, that is SOP because I have celiac disease and need to know whether or not there is anything for me to eat when we dine out. Unfortunately, both ladies working with the diners seemed to take our request amiss and one of them was not particularly friendly after that.

However, to give credit due, the young lady who seated & served us was very cooperative when she discovered I needed to eat gluten free and, in fact, was familiar with gluten intolerance. She and the "chef" came up with a tasty and attractive variation of their ham and cheese sandwich sans bread.

The food was good, the environs were clean, the prices were a little above average, the wait was excessively long (for others in the café as well as for us), there were only a few nicknacks for sale to justify the name "General Store".

I don't think I can recommend the Batesville General Store from my own experience, but I do think the trippers providing more positive reviews really did have a much more positive experience. Sadly, mine was not.

Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

I was in the area near Lake Burton & Lake Raybun looking for a good place to eat breakfast. The "country store" atmosphere is charming and the breakfast items all hit the spot! The restaurant is well maintained. It feels and looks fresh & clean!
The staff is friendly and they have a strong fast WIFI service they provide to guests.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

This local restaurant is very historic, started in 1904, and as a good variety of sandwiches and some specials. This is where the ride is more for the uniqueness of the location rather than just the food. All the items on the menu where tasty and fresh. They are open for lunch and dinner on most days. The deserts are locally made and the store has some interesting gifts.

Worth the drive if you are in the Northeast Georgia area,

Reviewed 24 June 2013

We ate on the outside deck. Service was friendly and quick. The sandwiches were delicious and the prices were wonderful. Great place for couples and families.

2  Thank gypsyred
Reviewed 23 June 2013

This was a quaint place to get breakfast or lunch if you didn't mind a ridiculously long wait on the kitchen staff to prepare your meal. Now you still get the ridiculous wait and the food is terrible. Went back several times hoping that I just hit them on a bad day, no joy. The food is consistently of poor quality and the amount of time it takes the kitchen to produce the bad food is absurd. They seem to be concentrating on selling overpriced salt lamps and low quality, high priced fake country trinkets. If you need a salt lamp or low grade fake country trinkets, I would suggest eBay. If you are headed to the lake or fishing in the area in need of a meal, keep driving.

4  Thank Innsbruck_13