“Perfect escape”

Glen-Ella Springs Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Clarkesville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 January 2012

A much needed respite from the real world restored my spirits. Thanks to the individualized attention from Ed and Luci Kivett and their staff, my weekend away was extraordinary.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 4 January 2012

Glen-Ella Springs Inn was the perfect choice for our June wedding and reception. It was a truly magical experience! From Luci and her staff being so hands-on and respectfully paying attention to the fine details, to the delicious cuisine, the breathtaking ambience, and our luxurious penthouse suite my husband and I were thrilled with our experience there. The mountains of north Georgia provided this magical and relaxing backdrop for the rustic elegance of this beautiful and well appointed Inn. All of our guests were impressed with the quality of service, food, amenities, and the natural scenery. We had our nuptials in the garden under a wood arbor layered with green vines, and the grounds were immaculately groomed with colorful flowers in bloom and full trees providing a natural decor for our wedding. It was super convenient and cost-effective to utilize their pavillion, which is on the same grounds, for our reception. My husband and I have already started talking about celebrating our 1st year Anniversary at Glen-Ella Springs Inn. It was simply a gorgeous day, and just what we'd imagine for our BIG DAY. Thanks so much Luci!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 January 2012

Glen Ella Springs was the absolute best venue for our wedding and is an overall great place to stay. My husband and I were recently married there and we truly have nothing but good things to say about our experience. It truly was a magical weekend and everyone of our guests continue to comment that our wedding was the “Best wedding ever.” This could not have happened without the hard work and attention to detail of the innkeepers and the staff of Glen Ella. We were able to spend the entire weekend there with our closest family and friends and were also able to host even more friends at the Orchard villas. The food was amazing, especially breakfast, best grits we ever had! The accommodations were also excellent and the sheets so soft. We were able to gather around the pool, play games in the guesthouse in the evenings, linger over meals as were the only ones staying there and enjoyed several games of croquet and football in the meadow. The ceremony site was absolutely beautiful and all our pictures look they were taken right out of a storybook. We spent minimal money on flowers as the natural surroundings were so beautiful. The reception area was perfect as well and looked beautiful all lit up at night. The food for both the rehearsal dinner and the reception was great-it did not disappoint and we continue to hear great reviews about it. The innkeepers work very hard to make your stay memorable and relaxing. They also made the planning phase of our wedding very enjoyable and I experienced very little of the stress most brides report due to their hard work, attention to detail, and responsiveness. The vendors nearby are excellent and they have great working relationships with the innkeepers making the process very smooth. It all came together for a most magical weekend and we look forward to making many more happy memories there in the years to come.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2011

Wanting to get away for a romantic night alone with my husband, I searched and found the Glen Ella Springs Inn. Tripadvisor gave it great reviews, and I loved that it had a restaurant on site.

Working with Debbie through email was great. She dealt with all my questions, even allowing us to book a one night stay on weekend, at the last minute. We couldn't stay another night, so we were thrilled that she allowed us a one night stay, (it was a last minute booking). The entire staff was incredibly helpful and friendly, and it's obvious that the innkeepers take great pride in their inn, and it shows in the employees.

Upon arrival, we immediately felt the tension leave us. The entire location was serene, relaxing, and so neat and clean and cared for. We walked to the spring in the back of the property and were pleased to find a couple of benches to sit and talk as we listened to the creek. We also enjoyed time reading and talking by the fire pit and also on the lovely rockers on the porches. It was a very private first evening as we explored the property. It was perfect!

We also got to enjoy dinner at the inn on the first night. It was wonderful with fireplaces and beautifully laid tables. The food was delicious, and again, we just felt so rested and relaxed. The staff was once again wonderful, and we met the innkeeper, Lucie. She was lovely and gracious.

The one area I did rank lower was the sleep. I had no complaints about the actual room, as I already knew from tripadvisor that the queen room was small. It was very classy and well appointed and I had not complaints about the way it looked or felt, and the bathroom was actually a nice surprise, being so nice and big for an older home. The lowest ranking did involve sleeping, but again, I already had read that the inn was historic and the walls thin. The neighbors next door did talk a lot as we were trying to sleep, and it was hard to get to sleep, and we were also awakened by noises from neighbors above and next door throughout the night and early the next morning. Our neighbors also snored very loudly for an extended time, and that was a struggle until we decided to run the heater on low. (We loved the remote for the heat/air!) We did figure out that by running our heater it did help with the noises, but as we all know, old houses have character and just make noises. So, our sleep wasn't really very good, but we had such a good first day we didn't really care that much. ...and we were looking forward to a great breakfast, so that helped us to forget that. :) Oh, I should add that the bed was very comfortable, the sheets were really nice, and we loved the robes in the room! ...it was a very lovely room...lots of little touches to make it nice.

Breakfast was superb! We immediately forgot we were a bit tired, and enjoyed all the fresh fruit, egg dish, delicious grits, and so much more! There was enough for anyone to eat all they wanted, and it was varied and delicious....including homemade granola, tons of fresh fruit, biscuits, breads, many juice choices, and plenty of hot coffee. The morning staff was once again, friendly and helpful! There was a family reunion going on, and they were quite boisterous and clearly enjoying each other; my husband and I both agreed this would be a perfect place for reunions or getaways for churches or work, as you are just able to enjoy time together, and they even have special rooms for everyone to get together....and so much beautiful outside garden and meadow empty space. Oh....they also have a lovely pool! How nice to have so many extras!

As we checked out, we talked about what a great couple of days it had been. Then, on the way out of town we drove and hiked up to see some beautiful falls and then hiked around Tallulah Gorge. The lakeside drive was lovely, and we used our guide book provided by inn to guide us to a couple of other places.

I can't say enough about the staff, inn, and lovely surrounding features of the inn. I will have great memories of our time there, and we hope to come back. We thought we might plan ahead and try to get an upper room to help with the house noises, but you know, even if we had to deal with that, it was still worth it! It was truly a relaxing and romantic getaway, and I am especially grateful to Debbie for helping make this happen, as she took the time to make this trip work for us.

And I don't mean to disparage the inn by talking about the thin walls. IAs the owners wrote in response to another review, it's hard to keep the true history and character and make lots of renovations, and when it comes down to it, the inn is just so perfect the way it is. Next time, I will just plan on getting a higher room and maybe even planning to run the air/heat most of the time....or maybe bringing a small noise machine. But I do want to come back!

We hope to come back soon! We thank everyone there for truly wonderful memories!

Thanks to

Room Tip: The rooms are simple, yet lovely. The rooms overlooking the meadow have a beautiful view. We stayed...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2011

About a year ago, it was my husband's turn to plan our periodic "surprise destination." So on our 17th anniversary Glen Ella was "it"! It was well-worth the mystery surrounding the events to come from everything to the quaint atmosphere to the fine dining experience to the available hiking opportunities that lay ahead. So year a year later when we wanted to celebrate not only another anniversary, but also the the completion of a graduate degree, it was a logical choice We have, and will continue to recommend Glen Ella to our friends and acquaintences.

Reviewed 29 October 2011

Stayed here for one night in October 2011 on a Road Trip from Washington to Atlanta via the Blue Ridge Mountains.

There is no doubting that the Hotel is located in a most enviable location. The grounds are beautifullly maintained and peaceful - it's a shame we didn't have more time to appreciate the peace and quiet. I can see why so many weddings are held here.

The Dinner we had at the hotel was excellent including the service. The menu was varied and prices reasonable. The breakfast was excellent also with plenty of variety - breakfast was buffet style so you could eat as much as you wanted - the fruit compote was extra tasty & the eggs and bacon highly appreciated. A special request for wheat toast was promptly delivered - no questions asked !

I have marked the rating down for this property on the rooms - It is a hotel after all. The Queen room which we stayed in was very small and the fact that we could hear every footstep from the room above including every run of the tap, flush of the toilet etc etc was a huge dissapoinment. The fact that the property is old is no excuse for this lack of noise insulation. At $168 inc taxes I think this is unacceptable. I also found the carpet in the rooms to be unclean - the room had clearly not been vacuumed before we arrived but we were that tired after a long journey the last thing we needed was an upheaval and a room change etc etc. If we were staying for two nights I would have requested a room change or checked out.

I can see from previous reviews that the noise issue has been bought up before and some recommend the King rooms instead - perhaps we should have booked one of these.

On the whole - Nice location & restaurant, dissapointing rooms.

Room Tip: Don't stay in a Queen room - they are very small
4  Thank Gwalltcoch
Scotsman64, Owner at Glen-Ella Springs Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2011

At Glen-Ella Springs, we believe that superior hospitality, a beautiful and relaxing setting, delicious food, and well-appointed, clean and comfortable rooms all contribute to the experience here. We are glad you enjoyed our hospitality, the property and your dining experience, but were sorry to hear that you had a disappointing experience with your room. I enjoyed getting to know you and just wish you would have shared your concerns with us right away as most of the issues could have been remedied very quickly. It is true that our historic, 135 year old heart-pine construction is not very sound proof. There really is not a way to remedy this without harming the original and unique construction of the building which is listed on the National Historic Register. Although our Queen rooms are the most popular, especially because of the view of the meadow, we had an upstairs King room available while you were here, which is double the size, and would have also eliminated walking noise from above. We pride ourselves on exceptionally clean rooms, and we are sorry our housekeeping missed some areas of the carpeting, and we could have taken care of this in a few minutes. We hope if you are traveling again in the United States and come to North Georgia, that you will give us the opportunity to excel in all areas of your experience.

Reviewed 26 October 2011

My wife and I came to Glen-Ella for our honeymoon 17 years ago and we had such a great experience that we have come back, occasionally just for dinner but mostly for the entire weekend, every year since, most recently last weekend. I am pleased to report that everything is done just as well as it was in 1994: the rooms were just as comfortable and as well-equipped, the food as plentiful and well-prepared, the staff as friendly, the welcome just as warm, and of course the atmosphere and the sense of escape from the "real world" just as relaxing. Ed and Luci had large shoes to fill when they took over the place from Barrie and Bobby Aycock (the original owners) and in my mind they have succeeded, even in the face of the economic downturn that must have been daunting. Ed and Luci have kept all that was best from the previous ownership, most importantly the unique sense of personal service, and you get the sense that the things that have changed were very carefully thought through to build on, and avoid detracting from, that high baseline.

I don't know how helpful this review will be to the reader, but take it for what it is: a rave and a strong recommendation that you spend a fall weekend at this unique (there's that word again) inn.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clarkesville
Lake Rabun Hotel & Restaurant
Helendorf River Inn and Conference Center
Hampton Inn Cornelia
Hampton Inn Cornelia
#1 of 4 in Cornelia

Been to Glen-Ella Springs Inn? Share your experiences!