“Wonderful weekend escape”

Ranked #1 of 5 Clarkesville B&B and Inns
Atlanta, Georgia
“Wonderful weekend escape”
Reviewed 5 December 2012

I have lived in Atlanta my entire life and never even heard of the Glen Ella Springs Inn- wow, I was missing out! It is tucked away down a gravel road just behind Lake Rabun (the restaurant would be a great find for home owners on Lake Rabun). You are completely secluded, but also close to many fun activities. The Inn itself is the true embodiment of rustic elegance. The history of the place is tangible, yet modern amenities and the comforts or luxury are not overlooked. We would certainly return for a nice weekend getaway, as it is only 1.5 hours from Atlanta. The rooms are huge, and there is ample space for relaxation throughout the Inn. The restaurant serves great food at very reasonable prices. I would highly recommend this facility as the ultimate in relaxation.

Room Tip: Other reviewers commented on noise as an issue (the building is very old, which is part of its charm...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Woodstock, GA
Reviewed 27 November 2012

The inn is very special. We had a wonderful traditional turkey dinner mid-afternoon and then walked the beautiful grounds. We spent the night in one of their charming rooms and completed our stay with breakfast the next morning. The food, service and warm hospitality from the innkeepers made this a memorable holiday.

Rocky Face, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 13 November 2012

After reading all the recent reviews for Glen-Ella Springs Inn, I can only say, "What they said!" Superlatives pale; this is just simply a unique experience. It's old, there are older places; it's charming, there are other charming places; it's quiet, there are other quiet places; it's...well, you get the idea. But nowhere that I know puts it all together like Glen-Ella. The hospitality is so warm; it feels like home. The staff seems like family. The food is like your favorite grandmother's. You will sleep like a baby. The linens are fine, the mattresses firm. Did I say it's quiet? I look forward to returning. I highly recommend this special place.

Gainesville
Reviewed 10 November 2012

We never want to leave this inn! As we drove away, the beautiful colored leaves falling around us, we both agreed that we could have stayed a week! This was our fifth trip here in the last year and a half, and our third (or more?) just this year. It is obvious we love it, but I always love to share my experience for others. If I can't be there, someone else should get to enjoy it! :)
As usual, the room was lovely, meticulously cleaned, and the bedding is so soft. The weather this weekend was beautiful in the daytime, but the chill of the evening and night made it perfect to sit around the fire and enjoy time reading and talking. I had forgotten how soft the robes are; we like to travel, and they are the BEST robes in any bed and breakfast! I wanted to take one home, but I'll wait to enjoy on my next visit. When we had an issue with the remote control for the fire, Ed showed up within a few minutes to help us. The inn owners, Lucie and Ed, are the most gracious and warm of any place we have been. You can tell they really focus on service and making everyone feel so comfortable, because ALL the employees are warm and helpful. You never feel out of place; in fact, it feels so comfortable.
As usual, we ate at the inn's restaurant. Again, we love to eat, and this is one of our all time favorite restaurants in Georgia. It is a rustic decor, but the decoration and warmth of the fire make it so cozy and intimate for dinner. But who cares about the room when you eating fresh salads and vegetables, homemade dressings and sauces, and such excellent entrees? We were so stuffed from the yummy variety of breads we could not eat dessert, but they are fabulous! The chef is a master at what he does, and the experience is one of a kind. I have read reviews of a few staying at the inn and going elsewhere to eat. The restaurant is a MUST! It is one of the highlights of the stay. Do not go anywhere else!
Speaking of highlights, the next morning brings another delicious meal. Breakfast is the best! We have stayed at many bed and breakfasts, and this is the best we have had. The selection is huge, with breads, fruits, homemade granola, and then either grits and egg casserole or pancakes always. If you are watching your weight you have many options, but if you want to splurge (which I highly suggest!) you can enjoy the feast. Again, all the staff is helpful, friendly, and it is a slow paced, peaceful atmosphere.
Finally, probably the best feature of this inn is the peace and serenity it provides. Life is hectic at our house between work, athletics for kids, and just life, and quality time as a couple is rare. Here, we are able to unwind, talk, read, and just sit in a rocker and watch the deer in the meadow. We have never left Glen Ella thinking anything else but we wish we could stay longer. in fact, each time we leave, we say, "This was the best trip yet."
We are definitely going to keep saving in my "Glen Ella Jar." We don't spend lots of money on extravagant "things" and as my husband is a CPA/accountant, he has been known to be quite frugal, but we never regret splurging on this restful, serene getaway.
Take the time to visit Glen Ella; you will be so glad you did! :) I suggest setting up a jar or envelope; it gives you a reason to save and something to look forward to when life is crazy.

Room Tip: We love the rooms with fireplaces! We also love the Penthouse rooms. I am a light sleeper, and I l...
Camden, South Carolina
Reviewed 1 November 2012

My wife and I recently spent a weekend getaway in the North Georgia mountains. Our goal was to see the beauty of the fall colors and photograph as many waterfalls as we could find. It was a last minute get-away and we didn't even know about Glen-Ella. On our way through the mountains, we found Glen-Ella on-line and made a reservation. We had no idea how special this inn would end up being. As we drove up the dirt road following our GPS to the Inn, we really did not know what to expect. Up arrival the staff was friendly and warm. The room was impeccable, clean, nicely furnished. The restaurant was fantastic. The food was superb. There are several waterfalls very close and we got some great shots. We found a real jewel in this inn and plan to go back very soon.

Kevin & Amy Ahearn

Room Tip: Be sure to rent the penthouse room with private balcony. Very reasonably priced and a wonderful vie...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 30 October 2012

Glen-Ella Springs Inn is one of the most beautiful places I've ever stayed. My husband and I got married here and have had many meals at the restaurant. The inn has rustic charm as the renovations to the building, built in the 1800's, maintain the history and authenticity of the original construction. The grounds are peaceful and gorgeous. The restaurant is AMAZINGLY delicious. The lakes are near by as well as many hiking trails. Best of all are the inn keepers...with their friendliness and hospitality this place immediately felt like a home away from home. This place is best for a week/weekend in the mountains, a nice dinner out, or a fabulous wedding.

Room Tip: All rooms are great, however queen rooms are a bit small. If you can swing it, I'd go for the su...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Bradenton, Florida
Reviewed 24 October 2012

Glen-Ella is most definitely a wonderful experience in everything there and everyone employed by Luci and Ed, the Innskeepers. They were the perfect host for my daughter's wedding and so helpful. The rooms are all so tastefully decorated, the gardens just beautiful all year long, and the food is so delicious; we didn't want to eat anywhere else during our 6 days there. The location, while 'off the beaten path', is also very convenient to many senic rivers, gorges, waterfalls and Lake Rabun. Dillard, GA is a short half hour and Highlands, NC is just about an hour and a half from the Inn. You might want to ask for a room with a fireplace; I loved having one in our room since the evenings were quite cool, and you turn it on and off with a remote! I really can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Fireplace rooms are quite cozy! Rooms on the meadow side are nice to sit on the balcony in rocking...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clarkesville
Lake Rabun Hotel & Restaurant
Country Hearth Inn Toccoa
Heidi Motel
Heidi Motel
#6 of 18 in Helen

Been to Glen-Ella Springs Inn? Share your experiences!