“repeat customers”

Ranked #4 of 7 Clayton B&B and Inns
Georgia
“repeat customers”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We visit Kingwood at least once a year with our children (teens). We are always happy here. The views from the decks are soothing, the price is reasonable, and it comes with breakfast! There is an outdoor pool that you can see from your room. There is also an indoor pool but every time we have been there the indoor pool was freezing. In the morning you can walk to the restaurant for breakfast and if enough people are staying at the resort the breakfast is really good. Biscuits,gravy,bacon,eggs,grits,coffee and juice. The view while eating is over the golf course and mountains.
There is a ton of stuff to do nearby. If you take a left out of the resort and go several miles to the S.C. border there is a parking area on the left. From there you can walk down a paved road to the river or walk halfway down then take a trail to the right and go to Bull Sluice rapids to watch the kayakers and whitewater rafters come through. It is also an area to swim and jump off a ledge into the water. It is a little precarious walking on the slick rocks and I make my children wear life vests 9because I am a smother mother).
Also nearby is Tallulah gorge with awesome hiking. Black rock mountain state park is also near.
The Dillard house is nearby and has awesome food but is kind of pricey if you take a family.
I forgot to mention the rooms are an older style but they are always sparkling clean and have a fridge.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank vexxed

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Malvern, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Super friendly staff, fabulously beautiful grounds and golf course, loved my stay! I stayed at the Inn for 2 nights while traveling through the area on business. The other guests I spoke with were enjoying their stay as well and especially complementary of the staff friendliness and food quality.

Room Tip: The rooms at the Inn overlook the grounds and golf course
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Mark M
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I wouldnt recommend it for a long term stay, but for a little weekend getaway from the big city, this is perfect. The rooms are dated and could use some restorations but they were clean and the view from our balcony was great. The staff was SUPER friendly and their spa facility is also nice. You will NOT have cellphone reception, though for the most part.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vivian V
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I stayed here alone as a quiet get away. It was such a great experience. I felt completely safe and the customer service was excellent! Dylan is such a sweetheart-he assisted me with getting a golf cart and offered to play golf with me since I was solo-how awesome is that? Next time, I will bring my own clubs and take him up on it! Jade was exceptionally sweet and easy going. Amanda was funny and extremely helpful-she knows the town and suggested good places to eat in town. Ironically, they are all family members-what a great family! I will definitely be back and this has been one of my favorite quiet places to get away! I'm just sorry I didn't get to meet Cody-I am sure that he would have made my evening a funny one.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay here. The location puts you in easy reach of downtown Clayton (5 mins away) for some good restaurants, and the grounds have a nice golf course and some decent views of the mountains. From here, we did a few trips over to Tallulah Falls and up to Highlands, NC, both nice stops and close enough from Clayton.

The hotel itself is clearly older and going through some remodeling. It's not a fancy, newly designed place, but it is clean and nice enough, as the true reason to be here is to enjoy the natural beauty all around. Rooms were fine but nothing special. They still have old tube tvs and older looking styles in the room, but it was a big room with a big balcony (though the balconies should have separators in between the rooms - we didn't have this issue, but you would be sitting right next to your neighbor if they also decided to use the patio). Breakfast was fine - typical buffet type breakfast with cereal, eggs, potatoes, sausage, etc.

The staff was super friendly and helpful. I booked this very late and ended up using a travel voucher, but Amanda was very friendly and accommodating, and with Amanda and Lindsey's help, we ended up making everything work. We were very happy with the help we received and don't have any complaints at all about the staff.

Overall, it was a nice stay, and we knew it wasn't going to be a fancy/new hotel. The setting/grounds are very nice, and I would recommend it but just know that it's not a five star resort. One member of the staff did tell us that it's under new management, and they are making changes/updates to the entire property, but I have no idea on the timing of that.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Smoky Mountain, Tennessee
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

We recently stayed here for 2 nights through a Living Social deal. The property and the grounds are beautiful. We are't golfers but the course looked beautiful. The rooms are big, nice size bathroom with a fridge. Coffee maker & hair dryer in room as well. Big balcony/deck with table & chairs. Now, the down side about the rooms. The are older. They are clean but there is a strong musty smell. The carpets need replacing, the beds are hard and the tv is small. My mom woke up all stopped up and could hardly talk, due to the musty smell. We asked that the filter in the ac be changed. When we came back from being out for the day, we asked the maid if it was done. My mom also asked about the musty smell, if it was because the rooms were old, and she said no, they all aren't like that. She said we could probably change rooms. After calling the font desk and telling them the room stinks the would not allow us to change rooms.

We didn't use the indoor or outdoor pool or the fitness center. We could see and hear the pool from our room. Good size pool and glad the close it at 8:30.

Breakfast was very good. Lots of selections. Hot foods like eggs, potatoes, biscuits & sausage. They also had yogurt, cereal, fruit cups, apples, toast, milk, juice, coffee, oatmeal and grits. You won't leave hungry and there is something for everyone.

Dinner was also very good. Not many selections but good. Dinner comes with soup or salad, your entree, 2 sides of your choice and bread.

My mom tried the spa as well. She had a pedicure. The tech did a good job and mom was pleased.

We had a good weekend here and I would have ranked it higher if it weren't for the "old" smell in the room and the carpets needing replaced. If the would do some updates in the rooms, this could be a five star resort.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Krr1975
Dunlap, Tennessee
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Overall , this was a fantastic get away for our 10 th Anniversary
. While the golf course and grounds in General were in great shape , and the room , pool, spa and dining facilities were very comfortable , they need some " work " and updating in areas.
I can't mention ALL of the truly caring and helpful staff ( they all were ), but KEN WHITE ( who checked us in - and out) is a fine addition to the Inn. There is coffee and tea available at all times in the Libby
Nice surprise at the pool area with light music ,
a concession there for snacks and drinks you can charge to your room and plenty of chaise lounges and some tables and chairs * ( Pool itself needs some work. Missing tiles , etc. nearby restrooms in gazebo ok but gazebo really needs redo )
Our servers at dinner, Alexis and Nathan were professional, knowledgable and delivered exceptional table service. Table was set properly and what a nice view of the golf course! Never rushed us, and our entrees were served hot and were very tasty and pleasantly presented . Too stuffed for dessert !
Breakfast buffet offered real scrambled eggs, bacon , biscuits and gravy along with cereal , yoghurt, juices and coffee and tea. Slow toaster! And just white bread. A little extra variety would be nice but it was better than many " chain" hotel buffets.
Can't say enough nice things about the golf course. Lewis should be proud of his pro shop gal Courtney; cart attendant Nathan too . The course is absolutely beautiful and challenging too. ( accurate shots REALLY help!) . Entire course in great shape, greens immaculate and tough to read ! Loved it!
Off to the spa for a pampering massage for the wife. Meantime , I had a nice workout in the gym with plenty of good machines, then a quick shower before soothing my muscles in the shot tub and sauna. Both were GREAT, as was the whole clubhouse. A member raved about the new owners that have truly begun making strides on resort wide improvements. The pump motors in the hot tub had recently been replaced and the steam room ( inoperable ) is slated to be fully restored soon as well. Then , it was off to the indoor pool fir some Laps. Perfect. ! Usually I can't tolerate the heavy chorine, but it was no problem here!
Throughout the entire spa , soft " zen like music " was playing, creating an even more relaxing atmosphere. My wife emerged rejuvenated and refreshed from the excellent massage she received from April.
So , again, overall, a wonderful experience. Special mention must be made also of Amanda Smith, as many others have done. Truly delightful , pleasant and helpful gal !
In closing, the housekeeping department is " challenged ". I had a few minor issues in the room ( VERY minor ) and did bring it to the attention of the very nice head housekeeper , Rene. The room , bedding and linens , toiletries and layout were FINE! HUGE Balcony / deck had two chairs and table ( lounge chairs would be nice and for sure they need to be restrained or painted ) Again , the room issues were minor but really were not followed up , as promised. I have learned that they have had staffing problems in this department and for sure this is a key area. Signs of ongoing and planned updating are evident ( we had an older TV, but it worked fine )
Once the minor renovations , some exterior cosmetics done on the buildings and room upgrades are done , with the caring staff here, this will be a MUST STAY! You really never need to leave the resort. There's great golf, tennis , outdoor pool , hiking trails and a very nice spa with indoor pool. Our dinner in the restaurant was very pleasing, but there's many other recreational ( rafting, hiking, shopping ) and dining options nearby. This is NOT a five star, ultra luxury resort, but does have many of the amenities you may find in one. Rather, it is super comfortable and a great place to relax and yes, pamper yourselves !
Superior staff that genuinely seem to care and strive to make your stay extra enjoyable. PLEASE let them know if anything is awry! I highly recommend a stay here and would certainly look to stay here again - especially once the little improvements are made.
Thanks KINGWOOOD INN and RESORT !

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank kaw54realestate
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton
Lake Rabun Hotel & Restaurant
Beechwood Inn
Beechwood Inn
#1 of 7 in Clayton
Mitchell's Lodge & Cottages

Been to Kingwood Country Club & Resort? Share your experiences!