“Great Place to Relax”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cleveland
Boggs Creek Campground
Reviewed 17 June 2010

I like this campground... it offers privacy, fishing, and all the perks of being outdoors... As long as you have firewood, bug spray and foods you will have a good time!

Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Carol31087
Reviewed 16 October 2009

Car Camping can seem like fake camping but when you are on an adventure to a new camp ground every turn can give you a hint of what Columbus felt when discovering the new world.

When we decided to go camping last minute I quickly pulled out my trust swiss army google to search the best tent camping in Georgia. DeSoto Falls was the place to be and we were going.

We headed north from our home town capital Atlanta, Ga early morning to give us plenty of time to forge rivers and climb mountains to our destination of DeSoto Falls. I packed blankets because I get cold even during a heat wave, clothes for the next day and a first aid kit (which included toilet paper and insect repellant). If we broke a leg I was going to create a two ply bug net to protect me while I waited for help. The last thing to to put in the trusty Extera was the tent. You see the tent was the main reason we were going camping. You a buy a tent with the dream of being the type of person who goes on the road and roughs it with the best of them, but two years later there is it sits in the back of the closet unopened and a reminder of the exciting adventures you don't go on. So this was it. I was going camping.

We had read reviews for the area and knew the address given for DeSoto Falls Camping Site would fail us if we were using a GPS or mapquest. So we would have to rely on the north star or ask someone. Two high ways and two stops later we knew we were on track when we made it to Dahlonega, GA. The historic town known as the site of the first major gold Rush in the USA. But we were not here in search of gold. We were in search of provisions for an overnight camping trip. After stoping at the conveniently located Walmart for the important camping supplies: hot dogs, marshmellows, camping chairs, lantern and spirits to keep us entertained we headed north.

Off we went for 15 miles north till we hit Turner's Corner and hung a left. Anticipating a campsite can be exciting and freightening simultaneously. We were ready to get out of the car after 2 hours but we didn't know exactly what to do after that. We had never done this before, what would the natives think of us?

We pulled into the DeSoto Falls entrance after taking several curvy turns and realized we were faced with something that never even occured to us. We did not have broken bridge or collapsed walking path to get through but a fully occupied campsite. All 24 sites of the best tent camping in GA were full. Full of happy people with happy dogs cooking happy hots dogs staring at us as we drove through their camp site like kids who lost their parents. What know?

Luckily, Desoto Falls camp site has an onsite ranger who should be renamed as our savior. He refered us to Boggs Creek Camp Site which was two miles away. His words echo in my head though when warns us, " it is a primitive site." Primitive? I come to find out it means no running water or electricity. Isn't that was camping is all about? No wonder DeSoto Falls is the best ten camping in GA. You have the naturals beauty without any of the boredom or stink!

So off we went down the mountain two miles and a took a sharp left down a steep raveen to find the what I call the best tent camping site I have braved the wilderness in. Boggs Creek a little piece of heaven. The woods are dense, the creek is following, the bugs are neighborly, and the porto potty smelled like roses. The trail to drive in long and the space between tent sites is plentiful. We grabbed the second tent site and paid our 8 dollar fee. I understand now why they have a maximum days limit. Who would leave at 8 dollars a day!!

After stacking our convenient store fire wood bought at the Shell Station in Dalonega next the Home Depot, I left the man vs wild stuff to my companion and attempted to set up the tent.

Camping should really be called tending the fire. All you can ever want to do is sit around the fire and poke it. So thats how the night unfolded we poke the fire, we ate a hot dog, we drank a beer, we ate a hot dog, we poked the fire, we ate a marshmellow, we poked the fire, we drank a beer.... My favorite part of camping was gathering the little sticks to keep the fire going. I was a girl scout and new those big logs need little bittle ones to get them going.

After a cold night, I think we need to buy sleeping bags. The few blankets I brought for my own comfort ended up being our life line as we held to eachother tight in the chilly fall night.

I've rambled on enough about Boggs Creek but I had a such an amazing time. So if you don't need running water, electricity and have a tent I recommend Boggs Creek to everyone!

19  Thank berryfield

Been to Boggs Creek Campground? Share your experiences!