“Winery? Not yet.”

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Winery? Not yet.”
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

The Cottage is located on a beautiful piece of property with a stunning view of Mt. Yonah. It's proprietors are lovely and gracious. What they failed to tell us when my husband and I visited recently is that they do not, as of yet, make any of their own wine. They are buying wine - finished wine, not just grapes or juice, and putting their own label on it. This is not a winery, it is a retailer. Fine, but be forthcoming about that. Why not wait until you are at least blending someone else's grapes, or juice, before you put your label on it? Strange and confusing, if not downright dishonest. I wish them we'll, but won't be back until the situation is remedied.

Visited October 2013
4 Thank Travellingdame

Mt Olive
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“"Que Syrah, Syrah" You'll Enjoy This Vineyard!”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

First, to be fair, we've known Jim and Sandra for a number of years and have had the pleasure of riding cross country with them on our Harley's more than once. If you were to ask them, they would tell you that I'm not a wine connoisseur but after a great afternoon of tasting the offerings at "The Cottage Vineyard and Winery" that all changed. If Sandra or Nathan give you a taste of the Syrah with the story that it is good with a hamburger, they're not being truthful - while it may be GOOD with a hamburger, it is absolutely AWESOME with a bowl of chili. And I don't even want to get started with the Syrah Eighteen - that's a souped up version of the Syrah designed to be a great after dinner wine and it is! Then if you're lucky enough to be there on the right day and find out how great the Baby Doll Legs Rose is, you might be able to get the subject of the picture on the label to sign your bottle - we were, we did and we bought a few bottles. As others have stated, this is a work in progress but as well as I know the owners, anything they do is going to be first class. They have grand plans for this venture and given enough time, they will make it happen and it will happen on a grand scale. I need to mention that Jim had the foresight to retain all the timber he cleared from the land has had it cut and milled and will be using it in future construction. The cross that currently resides on top of the chapel/tasing room was made by Jim with some of that timber. You'll enjoy your visit - the views and hospitality are first class - If you're in the vicinity, this is a vineyard to visit - you'll want to be able to say that you remember it when.....ENJOY!

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Curbmaster
Rockledge, Florida
“Beautiful View and Southern hospitality”
Reviewed 13 September 2013

The Cottage is a beautiful place with fantastic mountain views. The wines are excellent and the hospitality of the owners, Jim and Sandra makes you want to return as often as you can. We visited in April and will be visiting again as soon as we go back to Georgia in the Fall.

Visited April 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Oh if only I had some funds to invest !!!”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I absolutely cannot believe that I am the first one to make a comment about this place on Trip Advisor. I just recently became a “member.” As humans we usually remember the worst and only the real greatest of experiences. I do not recall ever leaving an exuberant comment. However in this case I have to. The wife and I recently spent a few days in the North Georgia Mountains. We went to relax, tube down the Hooch (Cool River Tubing,) and check out some of the local attractions including the vineyards/wineries.

The owners had just opened their facility in early 2013 and weren’t listed in much of the regions literature that one usually finds in Hotel racks. We just lucked out that they left brochures at another winery in the area…(although competitors we found out that the wineries in the area all get along just fine….sometimes selling grapes to one another and sometimes sharing expertise as well.)

Out of all of the wineries we visited we absolutely fell in love with this place (Oh if only I had lotsa dollars to invest !!) And they had not even finished with some major construction that was going on. One is greeted immediately on the way up to their facility by acres of newly planted grapes. Upon reaching the summit one is directed toward their current tasting room. As one approaches the building one is greeted by the most beautiful vista of much of the Northern Georgia Mountains…Quite honestly, and remember this is a guy talking, it was breathtaking.

The staff was ultra-friendly and quite knowledgeable about wines. I think I’ll forever be a neophyte but I know what tastes good to me :<). The owners are wonderful people as well and run a class operation. It was okay with them if we were rookies. “Everyone starts off in the same place and from there we grow.” The tastings were inexpensive. The wines were delicious . The wife likes it sweet. Though she did enjoy some of the dryer varieties. Buying a bottle or bottles did not bankrupt us.

We can’t wait for our next trip there…a little more than 90 minutes from Atlanta. I just want to hang and bring a picnic lunch, perhaps some cheese and crackers, buy a bottle while there and “chill out.” If we stay too long (and I drink too much) then I’ll get the wife to drive back or maybe stay overnight in one of the local B&Bs….a secret… the folks at the Cottage Vineyard and Winery may open an Inn type of facility in the way long distant future. That would be great !! Did I mention that if I had some funds I’d invest :<)

My only hope is that not too many people view this review and we can keep the knowledge of it to ourselves….but I just had to submit it.

The only bad thing was that the sign for the entrance was kind of small/obscure and we missed it the first time we went there. …no problem the second time.

Visited August 2013