Maryculter House Hotel
TripAdvisor
Lewisville(Maryculter)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsresidents loungebanks of the riverwedding venuemaryculter housewedding coordinatormaster of ceremoniesbeautiful hotelbridal suiteminute drivepoachers pocketsticky toffee puddinglog firefull scottishbeautiful roombit datedbuffet breakfastknights templar
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We booked this hotel for a short break between Christmas and New Year. We had a large and very comfortable room with views out over the river.

The staff could not have been more friendly and helpful - no false "learned from customer relations course" obsequiousness - even though they must have been working very hard over the festive period

Food was excellent.

The residents lounge with its open log fires and huge beamed ceiling is the perfect chill-out zone.

Lovely gardens down to the riverside and we discovered a riverside walk which we couldn't really explore because of the condition of the ground.

No gym or sports facilities which might prove a problem for some, but not for us.

We'll be back

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
MCHHGenMan, Director of Sales at Maryculter House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Bailie_Nicol_Jarvie
Thank you for your recent review, its always nice to receive such nice feedback, we are delighted you will be back to see us again soon

Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

I got married here in May 2012 and it was the most perfect day. The hotel met every need of ours. I'd defo recommend this place for weddings.

We got a free nights stay in honeymoon suite for our anniversary from them 1 year later which was a fab touch.

Just stayed here again as a early valentines with my husband, we had got a gift from my mum at Xmas, but by time we came to stay I'd lost the letter with it in so was very upset, I rang the hotel and the man on reception was so lovely and helpful and found a copy so we never missed out which was a relief. His customer service was spot on.

As always we enjoyed it, room clean and nice. We took our dog which is nice they allow you too. Had a nice dinner in the restaurant the lady who served us was really nice, friendly and chatty. We always like staying here, beautiful setting, lovely rooms and great food. I don't think I could ask for more.

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear Irvine1979
Thank you for your recent review, we are delighted you enjoyed your recent stays with us. Its always nice to receive positive comments for our Housekeeping, Restaurant and Wedding Teams. We hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 6 February 2014

Stayed here on the 20th and 21st of January on a work related course.
The hotel is beautiful with very friendly, helpful staff.
All round, a pleasure to stay there but would like to have seen more of the grounds in daylight as my room looked right onto the river and across to Peterculter Golf course.
The hotel is a sort of "rambling" layout and looks as if it has had loads of "add ons" over the years but the residents lounge is a lovely part of the building.
Would I stay here again, most definitly YES; to sit around the log fire in the evening with a glass of wine was a pleasure.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear Bobbers61
Thank you for your recent review, its always nice to hear that guests have been introduced to the hotel via their work and that you enjoyed your stay. Yes our Residents Lounge is a special room for us, steeped in history and very cosy by the fire on a cold winters day. Having Peterculter Golf Course closeby and our Ghillie to take you fishing on our Beat are a great bonus. We hope you will return to visit us again soon

Reviewed 5 February 2014

Provided you have a car, and are happy to be out of town and away from the "delights" of Aberdeen, the location of this hotel is excellent - 10 metres from the banks of the river Dee. Excellent that is, if the weather is good and the days long. Unfortunately I was there on a wet and windy January day, so the scenery was irrelevant and I had to rely on the hotel itself.

Parts of the hotel date back to the 13th century, and the whole place has historical connections to the Knight's Templar. There is one room in the hotel that reflects this history quite well, and a very interesting old graveyard in the grounds, but otherwise the hotel has been overly modernised (well, modern in the 1970s).

My room was large, and pretty well equipped. Two televisions - one viewable from the bed and another from the Chesterfield style sofa. Oddly, the two TVs appeared to show two different selections of channels. There was a decent desk to work at, and reasonable strength wi-fi. The bathroom had both walk-in shower and bath. The accommodation was somewhat tired, but acceptable.

Dinner was held in the bar area rather than the restaurant. Choice, quality and portion sizes were all average. Service wasn't pretentious, but was trying to be pretentious (if you know what I mean).

However, any chance of a decent number of stars was runied by the absence of any hot water in the morning. This was fixed within the hour, but too late for me. To judge from the response when I reported the problem, it is not a rare occurrence. So... 2 stars only.

Room Tip: If you want to make calls on your mobile, ask for a room on the upper floor, because reception at ground level is almost non-existent. If you are given a ground floor room, however, then I can advise that there is decent phone reception in the ancient graveyard. Strange, but true!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear Aberphobic
Thank you for your recent review.
Your feedback is important to us and we use this to make continuous improvements. Like you say parts of the building are very old and steeped in history but other areas have been added on. We are restricted with some building work due to it being a listed building so there are a lot of nooks and crannies. My apologies for the lack of hot water, our boilers have been fixed and running smoothly now. Again apologies for your poor mobile reception, some providers are excellent some not so good unless you are in certain areas within the hotel, I think its the thick granite walls and the dip that the hotel sits in. I do hope you will return to visit us again, maybe on a nice sunny day when you can see the beautiful views over the river.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

We recently attended a family wedding here. It's a nice location and nice casual hotel. The ceremony was lovely, as was the function room. However, the waiting staff were poor to say the least. The speeches were first, and even though the guests could collect a glass of bubbly after the receiving line, the staff seemed to have forgot about giving the top table any! This was mentioned at least three times during the speeches, and none of the staff, including restaurant manager/supervisor done anything about it. During the meal, tables were incomplete with food, and we had to ask a lady that looked to be the supervisor, to get the rest of the meals, even though she was 'checking' the waiter & waitresses service.

Overall a lovely day, the service was poor though which brought the place down a bit.

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear Wirsty
Thank you for your review. Your feedback is important to us and we continuously use this as part of our training tool for the Team. I was glad that overall you had a lovely day and hope that you will return to visit us again