“My new ATL hotel.”

SpringHill Suites Atlanta Airport Gateway
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in College Park
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 February 2010

The Springhill is at the GICC SkyTrain stop...just before or just after the Rental Car Center depending upon whether you are arriving or departing ATL. Very convenient for dropping the rental off the night before the flight. However, it is rainy you will get wet on your walk from the hotel to the train.
The hotel is new and modern. It seems to be a Euro-Asian fusion, whatever that means. To me it just mean that it reminds me of both the Manila Marriott that I recently stayed in and the Steigenberger at the Frankfurt airport from a few years back (without the heated bathroom floor, sadly).
Quiet with the exception of the obligatory door slammers.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 10 February 2010

When you have an early flight out of Atlanta, this is the hotel to use. This new hotel has a friendly staff, quiet rooms, very good breakfast, free internet, a shower that includes two lower jets for your back! The decor is very modern and colorful, which some may like or dislike. The best part about it is the location. You leave baggage claim and jump on the Skylink train that makes two stops. The first one is the GICC (Georgia International Convention Center) which is also the stop for Springhill Suites. The second stop is the car rental area. You just walk about 100 yards and you're at the front door of the hotel. I can't wait to stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 January 2010

I live in Atlanta and don't stay in airport area often, but my boyfriend's flight was red-eye and there ware horrible driving conditions by our house due to ice. I decided not to risk it, stay at the hotel after my boyfriend would arrive. Turned out to be a great decision because flight didn't get to Atlanta til 3:30 am instead of midnight! (compliments of American Airlines).
Anyways, I researched for about an hour for hotel deals near airport, I found this brand new hotel at a bargain rate for Marriott Rewards members. Everything speaks for itself: location, access to Skytrain, free breakfast, free wi-fi. We asked for a later check-out and our request was granted. The room was very spacious, very clean. The bed was comfortable. For breakfast you have a choice of eggs, fresh waffles, bagels, yogurt. It's very quiet, despite the fact it's right next to the airport.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 January 2010

Overall I enjoyed this brand new hotel (Jan. 2010), although I found the interior design goofy and clunky. Found the front desk staff pleasant and friendly, but not very discreet when handing me my room keys, and shouting to the rest of the conference behind me which room I was assigned to. That irritates me as some of my coworkers are juvenile, and would mess with my room or door knowing my room assignment.

One of my major complaints about this hotel is their energy saving system that requires you to leave a key or a card in order to turn on everything in the room. My room never hit an acceptable temperature level.

With a newer hotel there’s plenty of AC power around, but trying to find any close to the bed made me move some things to do it. Unfortunately the desk AC power was tied to the light switch, so there wasn’t an option to keep things charged whilst I slept, unless I wanted to keep a light on.

They have a unique separate room for toilet and shower. A little different, but guess that’s a benefit for travelers with multiple guests in the room, where they could use the toilet, while someone else showers. Bedding was fine…nothing spectacular but it did the job. Nice HDTV LCD screens with HD signals.

I didn’t park a car, but instead took the train, they had phenomenal access to the new ATL SkyTrain, and it makes this location one of the best hotels at ATL…returned my rental car late at night, took the train to the hotel, then took the train back to the airport for my predawn flight.

They have a small gym off the lobby as well as a small pool.

1  Thank IntegrityTravel
Reviewed 20 January 2010

If you are looking for a place to spend the night before an early morning flight out of Atlanta’s airport… This is the place. I have a home in Auburn Alabama, which is 1.5 hours and a time zone away from the airport, so this is crucial for me. A 6 minute ride to/from the Airport terminal on the new SkyTrain , the Springhill Suites by Marriott offers a quality night rest at a reasonable price. The train arrives every 2-3 minutes so waiting for hotel shuttle buses is no longer an issue. One note: if coming from the airport remember to get off the train at the intermediate stop at the convention center. The hotel is new (quiet), has spacious well-appointed (contemporary style) rooms, coffee makers, microwave and refrigerator. Best of all is the free Internet and a free hot breakfast. I had a King suite. The room had a semi-separate living / bedroom area. In addition, there were two closed bath areas; one with the toilet and small sink and the other with a large walk-in shower and sink area. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The fitness center was well equipped. The only down side was that the hotel does not have a restaurant or bar and there were none within the immediate area.

Reviewed 12 January 2010

Wow!! If you're staying at Atlanta Airport, you have to check this place out. Literally 5 minutes from baggage claim to hotel room via the new Skytrain (runs very often, not like the 30 minute wait if you just miss the Hilton bus!) that goes to the new rental car center and you're at this brand new Marriott Springhill Suites hotel. I've been traveling through Atlanta for years and am sick of those hotel buses!

I noticed the hotel in the morning when I went to pick up my rental car on the new Skytrain (very convenient by the way). Due to all this cold weather, my evening flight was cancelled and I went straight over there and grabbed a room for the night ($139). Free breakfast, free internet, and a great lobby where you can hang out and get a beer + meal. The rooms are huge and look like they could fit a family (pull-out sofa in a living room type area). 42" Plasma screen, comfortable bed, and great shower - what more do you need? One very cool thing is the sound of SILENCE in the rooms! The sound insulation must be super-sized because I didn't hear any planes at all (another first for an airport hotel!).

If I had planned on staying overnight at the Hilton or somewhere, I would have kept the rental car for another night (+$50 at least) and there's no need to do that here. I would have dropped off the car, jumped on the Skytrain to the Springhill and spent $20 on beer/wine congratulating myself on saving money!

After checking out in the morning, I walked 20 yards to the Skytrain and was in the terminal 2 minutes later. It's that simple. Without a doubt, the most convenient hotel at Atlanta Airport.

10  Thank trinitron007
Reviewed 8 January 2010

We stayed here just a couple of weeks after it opened (it still had the 'new' smell!) The hotel couldn't be more conveniently located, especially if like us you've had a long flight into Atlanta, arrived in the evening, and wanted somewhere to sleep before renting a car the next day. The airport's train to the car rental centre stops right outside (take the elevator to the ground floor) and it takes just a few minutes to get either to the rental car centre or to the terminal.

The hotel itself is very nicely designed in a Scandinavian style - a bit like being in an Ikea showroom. The rooms are just enormous, modern, and extremely well-designed with a dining/sofa area separated from the sleeping area by a big work desk with a sliding glass partition. The room was equipped with a microwave, coffeemaker, and large LCD TV. Only problem I can think of is that the toilet and bathroom (which are separate) are closed off by sliding frosted glass doors (which don't lock), and that flood the whole room with light if you use them in the night. The toilet flush was also startingly loud and would probably wake any sleeper up.

The soundproofing, both internal and external, was exceptional - we could barely hear aircraft noise, and the people in the room next door were totally inaudible to us once they had closed their room door. There was free wi-fi internet access in the room (or you can use a cable) and it was fast and reliable.

The staff were very friendly, especially those serving and clearing up in the breakfast area (the breakfast is complimentary and very good - includes cereal, bagels and hot items such as eggs and bacon).

On balance, we thought this was an excellent hotel and wouldn't think twice about staying here again. And it's a very good price - although this might be because it had just opened.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
#3 of 26 in College Park
Holiday Inn & Suites Atlanta Airport - North
Hyatt Place Atlanta Airport - South
Holiday Inn Express Atlanta Airport

Been to SpringHill Suites Atlanta Airport Gateway? Share your experiences!