“Beautiful facility, tiny rooms”

Atlanta Airport Marriott
Ranked #4 of 26 Hotels in College Park
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Beautiful facility, tiny rooms”
Reviewed 2 February 2014

The sushi bar is excellent, service is very good and friendly, restaurant even has built in t.v.s in each booth. It has a beautiful impressive lobby and decorations, it's clean, sparkling and stylish. The executive level room we booked was shockingly small and cramped, though nicely decorated.

Room Tip: Try to get the biggest space, the rooms seem more like the space afforded to cruise ship cabins
Green Features: Not sure I noticed this as especially environmentally friendly. They did mention saving towels and water were priorities as is standard at most hotels
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Weston, Florida
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I stayed here on the last night of my business trip to the Atlanta area. The staff at the front desk were friendly and professional. I thought my room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. The room was also very quiet with no outside traffic noise. The high speed internet access in the room also worked well. My business associate and I ended up eating in the hotel bar/restaurant. The place was jam packed with people and it was also under-staffed; however, when we finally got our waiter, he did a great job. The food was pricey but good. My only complaint was for the on-site parking which they charge $15.00 a day for. I checked out early the following morning so I didn't have time to eat breakfast at the Hotel. All in all, I think it was a very nice property to stay at especially if you are flying out the next day.

McCormick, South Carolina
Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

It's a shame that a reputable place like the Marriott would choose to charge $399.00 a night to stranded people during the Atlanta snow/ice storm in January. That is 4 times the rate we saw on the internet.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Terry O
Mark_Spanka, General Manager at Atlanta Airport Marriott, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Thank you for staying with us and allowing us to be your host while at the Atlanta Airport Marriott. The guest room rates the hotel was offering during this very busy convention week in Atlanta were determined prior to the snow storm and never changed during the duration of the weather event. As you mentioned we do offer discounted rates as low as $100, however those rates are mostly on weekends and occasionally during the weekday during slower times. We take very seriously our responsibility to provide shelter to guests during emergencies and with no other guest rooms available during the storm provided stranded guests in our lobby with blankets, hot coffee, and the use of our fitness center locker rooms with restrooms and showers. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any other questions you may have and thank you for being our guest, we hope to be your host again in the future.
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed 27 January 2014

At both check-in and check-out, desk personnel were pleasant and professional. Had a couple other interactions with Marriott staff, but nothing noteworthy one way or the other. The room was clean enough (although the upholstered chair was worn and stained). Windows weren't especially clean on the outside, and there were a few random stains here and there on the walls. The lobby is considerably nicer than the rest of the facility.

Two significant complaints, however. The first is the layout of the hotel, which is to say that having a banquet/party room on the 16th floor, among guest rooms, is ridiculous. A group was hosting a birthday party (complete with a DJ) in the Mercedes room, which was across the hall from where I was staying. Off and on between 7 and 11 pm, the music was so loud that our floor vibrated and we couldn't hear the TV (much less sleep). That wasn't the fault of the people hosting the party, since they paid for a room for that purpose. But having that event co-located with hotel guests who had nothing to do with it is a really poor idea. Perhaps if that's a common situation, they ought to provide additional insulation/sound-proofing for nearby guest rooms. Something needs to change. Even more frustrating was the fact that the staff seemed ill-prepared to do anything to help ME -- they assured me that the party would end by 11 but that didn't account for the fact that people stood in the hallway LOUDLY visiting on their way out, and that the mass exodus at the end of the night meant that the elevator repeatedly indicated its arrival at our floor. Again, NOT their fault per se, but definitely not sensitive to the other paying guests who were trying to get some sleep. Mentioned it again upon check-out, no accommodation was offered, except that an assurance that "it didn't happen often." SO WHAT? This was the second night of noise disturbance in our room, as the meeting being held in the adjoining suite really intruded through the connecting door, in spite of the fact that I bundled up the duvet against the door as a make-shift buffer. Thankfully the meeting ended very early, so it was just annoying, not disruptive.

Second issue was that our portfolio (and those of several other rooms, apparently) included $12.95 plus tax charges for the free Internet access. I understand that this is a new program, but it's been 4 weeks since they made the conversion, and there's no reason it shouldn't be worked out by now. The operations manager who checked me out was perfectly willing to adjust my bill, but I have to say that it FELT like they didn't adequately monitor whether or not the fee had been applied appropriately on the off chance that guests wouldn't notice it and would pay for the service when they shouldn't have. Sorry if that sounds inappropriately suspicious, but I think it's a fair suggestion. Have to say that Marriott properties (once my go-to lodging choice) could learn something from the satisfaction guarantee that Hilton properties provide.

Room Tip: Avoid the 16th floor, most especially those rooms near the elevator/Mercedes room. Some of the low...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Anthony C, Manager at Atlanta Airport Marriott, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Dear Witsendstrs,
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am very sorry your stay did not live up to your expectations and I regret the inconveniences and lapse in service you experienced. This is certainly not the experience we want our guests to have and I am committed to correcting this. I would appreciate the opportuniy to speak with you further about your stay and make amends. I can be reached at 404-766-7900. Please ask for the Director of Hotel Operations.
Enterprise, Alabama
Reviewed 24 January 2014

We have stayed at this hotel in June of 2012 and June of 2013. We only stayed for 1 night both times, of course to use the shuttle to the airport. The shuttle runs about every 15 mins and we never have had any problems with it. They do not take you all the way to the international connector. But you get off walk a few steps and get on another shuttle;e and you are there.
the first time we stayed it was for our wedding night and we had a kind room. it was nice and pretty clean, nothing to complain about. The second time we shared a double room with another couple. That room wasn't as nice but yet again it was fine.
The front desk (men I have noticed, I am a guy as well) seem to be a little less friendly.
They need to also better organize the car hops/parking.... It is awkward. You get there and depending on who stops you the try to just take your keys without you getting luggage out etc.. But the thing is.... you park yourself.. weird I know. I am not sure why he needs my keys even for two seconds if I saw I will get my own luggage out of my car after I park it. Why is that a big deal?

Anyways I think this may be the nicest hotel for the money to stay at close to the airport and that has a good working shuttle.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nbyrd
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 21 January 2014

At first glance in the lobby and front desk I was impressed, but it went downhill from there.
My Marriott profile states that I want a feather-free room. The front desk even mentioned that my room was feather-free and have a great stay. I was in a meeting until around 10:30 that night before I had a chance to get settled in my room only to find it was NOT feather-free. All the pillows were indeed feather. I called down to services. More than 30 minutes later someone finally came up with two pillows. The staff member seemed a little miffed when I asked them to remove the eight (8) feather ones. I am allergic to feathers...this is the reason I ask for a feather-free room.
Went to get in bed only to see one of the pillows they brought was a feather. Really?!!!
Another call and another 30 minutes they brought one more. Thankfully this time foam.
Finally crawling into bed about midnight to see that the comforter was down feather as well. Not wanting to stay up another hour waiting, I pushed it off of the bed and dealt with it.
Stopped at the front desk at 8:00 the next morning and stated that my room was to have been feather free and it wasn't and asked if they could replace as soon as possible the comforters and pillows and bring me more than two. The attendant at the desk seemed less than helpful to fix the problem. It wasn't until around 1:00 in the afternoon that they corrected the problem.
Stains on the pillow cases and towels were enough to gross anybody out!!
I realize the hotel is old, but it needs an overhaul and some things need to be fixed.
Even the pool is falling apart with holes in the lining (paint?).
We were there for a meeting and the service just wasn't what I expect. It seemed that nothing was anybody's job. When you ask an employee in the hallway for help with the temperature or food/drinks, I would expect that even if it wasn't their job, their response would be, "let me find someone for you." Not, "that isn't my job, please look for a person in a red coat to help you."
The buffets were inadequately set up and ran out of food without being replaced promptly. The list goes on. I may continue to use Marriott, but not this one.

Room Tip: Choose somewhere besides here!
1 Thank Pamela C
Anthony C, Manager at Atlanta Airport Marriott, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear Pamela C., I am so sorry to hear about your experience in our hotel. We pride ourselves on being brilliant hosts and clearly did not deliver this level of service. This is certainly not the impression we wish any of our guests to have of our hotel and I hope to have the opportunity to make amends. Please call me at your earliest convenience. I can be reached at 404-209-6812. I look forward to speaking with you and taking care of this.
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for staying with us.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I stayed for 6 nights on business a week ago. First off, I wasn't thrilled about the $15 daily parking fee. Most hotels around the area provide free parking. The most I paid before was $6. This is not a downtown or prime location. The hotel really shouldn't rip off guests this way. I only paid $10 parking downtown everyday and it's prime location with a trade show going on!

I've stayed in quite a few Marriott but this one doesn't live up to the Marriott standard in many ways. When I went into the bathroom, there were hairs and shoe prints in the bath tub. On my third morning there, while I was in the shower shampooing, the water went out for 10-15 min. I was in a rush to go to work and only dried up my hair and leave. Oh yes, on the first day, the TV remote didn't work andit took the maintenance guy 2 trips to make it work. My room was situated right across the President Suite on the top floor. There was party consecutively for a few nights, people running around singing, talking ... I didn't sleep well and it really affected my business trip. The furniture also needs some facelift. There were chips and nicks on the wooden furniture. The vent grill was dirty too ...

All in all, I wasn't thrilled about this hotel. I have stayed in much better Marriott elsewhere. Too bad my husband didn't tell the front desk about our unpleasant stay. My husband said the lady didn't even ask how our stay was. I don't think I'll come back to this hotel again. But I'll still stay at my favourite Marriotts elsewhere.

Also consider these accommodations in or near College Park
Atlanta Airport Marriott Gateway
Hyatt Place Atlanta Airport - South
Hilton Garden Inn Atlanta Airport/Millenium Center
Holiday Inn Atlanta-Airport - South
Embassy Suites by Hilton Atlanta - Airport
Drury Inn & Suites Atlanta Airport

Been to Atlanta Airport Marriott? Share your experiences!