“Wonderful accommodations, beautiful wedding!”

Rothschild - Pound House Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Columbus B&B and Inns
Naperville, Illinois
“Wonderful accommodations, beautiful wedding!”
Reviewed 4 December 2011

Beautiful very comfortable lodging. Welcoming. The management thought of everything! What you would expect from a true Bed and Breakfast. Miss Gaye was very nice, helpful in making dinner reservations and giving directions to the places one would want to go. Located close to the beautiful Columbus down town area. So much to see and do! River walk, evening entertainment. Girlfriend was married at the Rothschild - Pound House. Beautiful setting, wonderful staircase for her to come down. Perfect memories for all.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Opelika, Alabama
Reviewed 7 November 2011

"The beauty of the surroundings matched by a superb staff made this the perfect escape from the the busy home and kids it was a nice getaway for my husband and I. You have thought of every detail and attended to it with perfection."

I Just--- Love it !!!!!
I hope we can come back soon
Katie & Mike Jenkins

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KatieP3jenkins
Clayton, Georgia
Reviewed 18 October 2011

My husband and I spent a wonderful weekend at the Rothschild-Pound House. It is everything you would want for a romantic weekend away from our other-wise hurried life. The innkeepers, Mamie and Garry, were friendly, warm and just delightful. They offered great ideas for touring and relaxing.

The inn could not be more charming. It offered amenities far superior to the expensive box-lux hotels. Everything you could want was included in the room rate, no nickle-and-dime charges for WIFI, coffee, water, etc.

Our room was comfortable and clean. It was bright with lots of lighting, comfortable bed and nice seating. It was hard to leave the room to go visit the area.

The inn's restaurant offers great meals in addition to a full country breakfast. We enjoyed not having to drive to dinner, especially after a wonderful bottle of wine. All we had to do was walk back to our room.

We had a great weekend away and highly reccommend the Rothschild-Pound House as a culinary and relaxing destination.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David D
Savona, Italy
Reviewed 5 October 2011

I was a guest at the Rothschild for an entire week in late August 2011. The experience was delusional! A very bad reception. As a welcoming, Mrs. G just worried about switching my credit card, charging me about 350 dollars more for mistake (that's twice!) After which she disappeared. During the day guests are mostly left to them. The reception closed, no one in!The breakfast is poor, cleanliness leaves much to be desired, as well as the courtesy, the rooms are small, dark and dusty.
One last thing: before being refunded of the $ 700 I had been charged by mistake I had to make repeated phone calls and email ... and of course I have not been refunded of the repeated commissions I had to pay to my bank!
I do not recommend this B & B to anyone, do not trust the site that looks like a fabulous place! It is not!

Botta Elisa - Italia

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
12 Thank elisa b
rothschildpoundhouse, Owner at Rothschild - Pound House Inn, responded to this review, 6 October 2011
We hope that every single guest leaves having loved their stay with us. It is our goal, every single day. In fact, we give anonymous comment cards to everyone when they leave, to make sure that we are doing a great job. And when we read these, after the guests have gone, we pore over the details, suggestions and scores. This is not to avoid a bad web review. Its because we work hard to delight the guest. We dont want passable. We want fantastic.The comment card is our barometer.
I find it hard to believe that if someone had a complaint, they would stay an entire week and not say anything? I sure wouldn't!
It would be a real shame if you missed staying with us at The Rothschild-Pound House Inn. It is a special, very beautiful inn where many guests come back again and again. I am sure this lady was frustrated because she was accidentally charged again, instead of her credit. I am sorry for that. But it was not purposeful. And it was credited back in full.
Respectfully,
Mamie Pound
Owner
Athens, Georgia
Reviewed 15 September 2011

NO Southern Hospitality or Caring Business Ethics displayed by Rothschild Owner, What a disappointment!!!

I found a the Rothschild Pound House website on a Google search. The website is beautifully designed with inviting descriptions of the rooms, amenities and history. Highly anticipating a wonderful weekend getaway while attending a ceremony at Fort Benning (my husband is a retired infantry soldier) we chose to stay at the RPH based on the website.

Upon our arrival (3:00pm Saturday) we entered the main house, no check-in desk or attendant to be found. My husband began to call the phone number where we made our reservations and I began walking around and found "G" the relations manager in a back office area. She checked us in, paid and we were taken to our room “Few Street Suite”. Upon arrival we noticed the room was very “hot”. We brought in our bags and started looking for the thermostat to adjust the temperature to cool the room down. Could not find the thermostat and called the RPH to find out how to adjust the temperature in the room and to notify "G" how hot the room was– she stated the thermostat was in the hallway. The temperature read 79% but our room had to be hotter than that. ( just as a thought - if I was a Bed and Breakfast Inn owner and knew that my guest would be arriving on a hot day I would adjust the room temperature before there arrival ). To give the room a chance to cool down we decided to go to Longhorn’s for an early dinner. We returned to the room at about 7:00pm the thermostat had only gone down 1 degree. We decided to watch some TV and try to relax while praying the room would cool down so that we could get a good nights sleep. The TV was so small that you could not see it from the bed and on top of that it DID NOT have the “full movie” channels as described under the amenities listed on the web site. When we turned down the bed and DID NOT FIND “deluxe linens and premium bedding” as described under the amenities listed on the website. When going into the bath room we DID NOT find the “Bee Kind” collection of soaps and lotions by “Gilchrist & Soames” nor did we have “bath robes” in our room. These items were listed under the amenities section for what to expect IN your room and should be in your room upon arrival. To describe the room it was not decorated as the photo shown in the pictures on the website and was decorated with old used paper back books? It was so disappointing to have been charged $178.25 for this and on top of that it was 78% in our room. At 9:30pm it was still 78% I called and told "G" that we would not be staying the night at the Rothschild Pound House Inn because we were hot, tired and just wanted to go home (4 hours away) and try to get a good nights rest. At that point "G" offer to call an HVAC tech to take a look at the system. We just wanted to go home and told her we were packing our bags. I wanted to know how to receive a refund due to not staying the night because of the HEAT. "G" stated that she had already informed the owner "MP" about the situation but she was at dinner and a movie with her family. "G" stated that owner "MP" would call me the next day about the situation. I NEVER received a phone call or email from either one! When I would call to speak with the owner "MP" about the situation or to inquire what was going to be done about a refund "G" would tell me that “MP" is very busy homeschooling her children and she will call you when she has a free moment” . Just to let all of you know - "MP" NEVER called or emailed nor did "G" make an effort to call me. I put in a dispute with my credit card and received a full refund yesterday - this only took 3 months to resolve. (For this reason only is why I have waited to post my review, I wanted to be sure that I received a full refund back)

I think they should have "temp" A/C unit in each room that that each guest and adjust the temp in their room as needed. I also suggest to update the web site to reflect what your guest will actually receive & experience. This Inn has great potential but will need to improve room “amenities”, “room décor”, and "conditions" before they can expect someone to pay $178.25 for a room. Wished we had gone to a HOLIDAY INN we would have received BETTER service, amenities for LESS MONEY!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
15 Thank Farmer99
Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed 5 September 2011

This Bed and Breakfast has many great features but a few things could easily be improved:
We called to inquire and book our stay. We were told we would be staying in a particular room and would receive email confirmation. We never received email confirmation, so we called to verify but never received a call back. We were left to wonder if we really had a reservation at all. When we arrived, no one was there. The nearby restaurant was closed, too. Later we heard it was a lightning issue.
Finally, we received a call and were assured they would look up our reservation. They then said the room we booked was occupied already, leaving an uncomfortable sitution with how to sleep with our kids in another room or split up the parents to stay with the kids.
They tried to be very helpful by giving us 2 rooms for the price of 1, but it was not ideal. Unlike another review, the rooms were plenty cool.
When we got in our rooms, someone came up for our credit card. We told them we would be back down shortly. Why didn't they handle that before checking us in if they needed it 10 minutes after we got in our rooms? Anyway, we were told we would receive a receipt under our door but we never received it at all. If you don't mind a little run around please focus on this:
*** The house is beautiful and has everything you might need to relax.
***The beds were comfortable and the sheets smelled very clean.
***The breakfast is great and there were fresh cut flowers all around.

Room Tip: Balcony room provides a
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 8 July 2011

We stayed at this lovely historic inn on a recommendation from a frequent business traveler to Columbus. It was so perfect! The rooms were clean and quiet with lots of privacy. We were greeted with our check in person, Anna, right away and were escorted to our cozy cottage. We walked to the restaurant area and also rented bikes to ride along the River walk. The owner, Mamie was a wealth of information about the area and made sure we were comfortable in our rooms. I felt right at home there! I met families that were coming in to see their sons and daughters at Ft.Benning. The art was fabulous and it was everywhere along with fresh flowers in our rooms! The soaps and shampoos were nice. We slept great and will return!

Room Tip: If you are with your family, ask for one of the double cottages to stay next to each other.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Grayson007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbus
Columbus Marriott
Columbus Marriott
#14 of 46 in Columbus
Courtyard Columbus Phenix City/Riverfront
Hampton Inn Columbus/South-Fort Benning
Hampton Inn & Suites Phenix City - Columbus Area
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbus - Fort Benning
Value Place Columbus Bldg. 2

Been to Rothschild - Pound House Inn? Share your experiences!