“Gets better”

Rothschild - Pound House Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Columbus B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 November 2013

My wife and I returned to this lovely B&B just last week, after a two year absence. If you have any plans to be in this part of the world (we visit our daughter at Fort Benning) you would be best served staying here. Clean, attractive, convenient, service top notch. The list goes on. Heck, without knowing it, Mamie created a breakfast using all of the components I hate and it was the best breakfast I have had in years!! I cannot say enough about this property and the owners. I've managed AAA Four Diamond resorts and restaurants for over 25 years now and can attest this property and the owners are at the top.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BrianCharlton
rothschildpoundhouse, Owner at Rothschild - Pound House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2014

Brian, thanks for your sweet review. We always love having your family here. One day we will visit you in the great Pacific Northwest! Until then, we look forward to your next trip to Columbus.
See you soon,
Mamie and Garry

Reviewed 4 November 2013

Tastefully decorated (but not overdone or museum-like); warm,knowledgable and friendly hosts. The bed was extremely comfortable. The breakfasts tasted great, with good presentation. The inn has a good location in that it is fairly close to restaurants, but not so close that you get any of the noise. The historic district is fairly large with many nice homes. A great place to stay!

Room Tip: They all looked good. Don't stay upstairs if you are one that have concerns about stair climbing...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SA B
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Our son and his girlfriend wanted to make a repeat visit to Columbus, Ga - having passed through and finding it a very amenable city. They invited us to accompany them. I thought,
"Oh, no. ANOTHER day trip to Columbus". (I was there, often, on business from Atlanta). I said - find a "Pet Friendly" place to stay, and we'll make it two day trip. They found the Rothschild Pound House Inn. Boy, howdy, talk about serendipity good fortune!!

Located in the south end of Columbus' historic district - three blocks from the Riverwalk, three blocks from the Springer Opera House, four blocks from the bustling, thriving downtown scene on Broadway - yet Quiet- VERY Quiet, and elegant. Sidewalks, aplenty, just begging you to ramble and enjoy the multitude of restored and well maintained homes in the district. You walk in the door of the Inn and KNOW, just KNOW, you're going to enjoy your stay.

The B&B has been in business - after the herculean task of MOVING the entire house to its current location - since 1995. Other B&Bs have come and gone, but the Rothschild Pound House Inn just keeps on keeping on. Well appointed, airy and spacious, the entire house just says "Gracious Me, We're SO Glad to See You". The hosts are gregarious and charming, too.

Opera stars, travelling musicians, movie stars, businessmen and businesswomen, Generals and Sergeants, Parents, Lovers and Newlyweds, and an itinerant northern raconteur (that would be Garrison Keillor) all were bewitched by the Inn's hospitality - and left their testimonials to be framed and available for viewing in the foyer. Just reading all the articles was a delight. The hosts said some of the guests - usually the military folks with business at nearby Fort Benning - didn't have time for breakfast. What a shame. We opted for the world-class pancakes (Mrs. Pound's specialty), but the pictures on the website of the waffles were a mighty tempting alternative.

We were there mid-week, and were able to get reservations on short notice. Weekends, and during special events in Columbus, the Inn looks to fill up early. There are three cottages and one home with addtional suites apart from the main house. Look at all the choices on the website - and, as my son pointed out - the pictures don't lie, all the choices are every bit as spacious as they appear in the photos.Reserve a spot early, and prepare to enjoy a wonderful time in Columbus.

Room Tip: The second floor rooms in the main house have a STEEP antebellum winding staircase to negotiate. The...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Trainmaster78
Reviewed 13 September 2013

My husband and I and some others just returned home from a delightful couple of days in Columbus, GA. We went there for pleasure, after our son recommended it following a recent trip. I thought all Columbus had to offer was an Army base, but I was wrong.

The first delight was the Riverwalk, but I'll review that in another post. This post is for Delight #2 which was the Rothschild-Pound House Inn. The owners and staff were so welcoming and pleasant, even the housekeeper was very helpful in making our stay wonderful. We stayed in the Golden Suite, and it is EXACTLY as it appears in the photos on the website. It is truly a suite with a sitting room, bedroom and bathroom. The beds are firm and comfortable, the linens are very nice - including the towels. The staff was helpful making sure we had everything we need and recommending restaurants and activities.

Our traveling companions brought their dog with them, but this was not a problem as the owners love dogs, and have one cottage where they allow our four-legged friends. they enjoyed their cottage as well, even sitting out on the private patio.

All in all, a great trip and we would not hesitate to stay with the Pounds again when in Columbus!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank trnmgr
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We had a lovely time here. The room was very elegant and large and the breakfast was delicious.

It was really cool to hear about how these houses were saved and restored. We especially loved all the art work which was done by one of the owners.

A very memorable place to stay and I highly recommend the Rothschild Pound House.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank mark m
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I have stayed at the Rothschild-Pound House Inn several times. The atmosphere is perfect. It is a very relaxing hidden jewel in Historic District Columbus, Ga. The owners and staff provide a "First Class" environment, from the cottages to the main house, and the food. Each cottage is decorated with an ambiance so relaxing and traditional the the Bed and Breakfast scene. I love to venture off to the active downtown scene Columbus provides. I try to make it there at least once a year. I recommend anyone stop in to The Rothschild-Pound House Inn and enjoy a blissful weekend.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Cole W
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Have stayed numerous times and love it every time. The antiques and art are beautiful and I feel like vacation has started the minute I turn the key. I enjoy rotating through the different rooms and cottages. We are able to walk downtown and shop/eat. Love it here! bdp

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank PanamaHoward
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbus
Columbus Marriott
#23 of 47 in Columbus
Hilton Garden Inn Columbus
Hampton Inn & Suites Phenix City - Columbus Area
Courtyard Columbus Phenix City/Riverfront

Been to Rothschild - Pound House Inn? Share your experiences!