“Beware of what you don't ask for”

TownePlace Suites Columbus
Ranked #27 of 46 Hotels in Columbus
Boca Raton, Florida
“Beware of what you don't ask for”
Reviewed 27 July 2011

My one-night visit to TownPlace in Columbus was an educational experience for me. I have stayed at the Fairfield Inn next door but I thought the extra $10 a night would be well spent at TownPlace to have the microwave, fridge and the Market items for sale in the lobby. And it was worth the extra $$. However, TownPlace, it turns out, is a pet-friendly hotel. A fact I was not aware of when I made the reservation. I have stayed at many pet friendly hotels in the past but this time I was assigned a room that had a strong pet odor. I do not have a pet and certainly did not ask for a pet room. When I asked a staff person about the hotel's policy about pet rooms, I was told that I had been given a pet room. The staff quickly arranged to move me directly across the hall - very convenient - to another room. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I will stay there again as I travel back and forth from Fl and NC but I have learned to ask for a non-pet room.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank greg052

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Piscataway, New Jersey
Reviewed 4 May 2011

If you need a clean fun and cozy place to stay. This is your place. Close to everything but just enough out of the way.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank swintboogie
eastern US
Reviewed 31 October 2010

I stayed at the TPS in Columbus in October 2010 while at Fort Benning.

The hotel is fairly new and is in good shape -- clean and shiny. Check in was a little slow, but not too big of a deal. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful with a couple of small requests I had but overcharged me on my room. When I called and pointed it out to them they quickly corrected it.

The hotel is located right next to the freeway. As soon as you step outside you hear the noise, but inside the hotel I didn't notice it at all.

Internet and parking are free. There is a small breakfast area with a free, light breakfast. Nothing fancy, but the price is right and met my needs.

There is a small exercise room with one treadmill, an elliptical, and a stationary bike. There were no towels when I used the room on my second day there.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank va_trailrunner
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed 19 October 2010

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel at least once per month for the past few months. Our room has always been clean. We asked for extra towels and they were promptly provided. The area around the hotel has always been kept very neat. The breakfast provided has certainly been adequate and we like it better than the Residence Inn buffets. We have never heard noise from the street. The hotel staff has always been very courteous and helpful. We have not seen any of the problems that have been related in this column. We think this is a nice hotel and it is very convenient for our Columbus/Phenix City appointments.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Claudiajl
Dunnellon
Reviewed 14 August 2010

Outside is very sleek and nice looking. Hotel is located between the highway and another road which makes traffic noise close.. The hotel clerk was very accomadative when we asked to change the room we had to a suite After spending the night in our second room, we had to ask the clerk for a third room which he obliged. The outside a/c unit which gives the hotel it's air , was located not far from our room and would cycle off and on all night which kept me awake. The third room which was located on the second floor away from the a/c unit did the trick.
Breakfast is sparse but will do instead of going out. Nice and close to a varity of restaurants.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank GloriaT64
tpscolumbus, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Columbus, responded to this review, 17 August 2010
I am glad to hear that your experience with our associates was very accomodating. We strive to be the best, and we keep pushing ourselves to improve to stay on top. However, I am sorry to hear that the noise around the hotel was too much for you to be able to sleep. We usually don't have any complaints about the noise, but when we do we try to resolve the problem immediately. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.
Newberg
Reviewed 11 August 2010

Reserved one bdrm suite (we needed an extra sleeping area) in April for a June 30th stay, did not get it. No hair dryer/iron in room. Advised front desk - never got items and they did not change our room. After first day no bath matts, only one wash cloth and garbage not emptied. Needed wake up call and never got it. Final straw - ran out of toilet paper. If you go to Ft. Benning for graduation you don't have time to keep going to front desk (which we did twice in a four day stay) Also told we would get Marriott reward points for our trouble guess what? Still waiting. Worse service I've had at a Marriott. Too bad since the rest of the hotel is fairly nice.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
tpscolumbus, Manager at TownePlace Suites Columbus, responded to this review, 17 August 2010
We are very sorry for the lack of service you recieved when you stayed with us. We always strive to provide exceptional service and we fell short in many ways during your time with us. For the lack of follow through during and after your stay, we purchased 15,000 points that should be applied to your account soon. Again, we are extremely sorry about your experience, and understand how uncomfortable and frustrating it can be to be out of town and not recieve the service you expect. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.
Korea
Reviewed 16 January 2010

My family and I are presently staying at the Marriott Towneplace Suites in Columbus, Georgia. I am so dissatisfied with the way in which this place operates. My chief complaint is Housekeeping. It is horrible!!! Our check-in date was 7 November 2009 and extended to the 7th of December. If we weren’t so busy with burial arrangements and such, I certainly would have relocated my family to another hotel. The onsite Manager is apathetic. The first day that we checked in, the stove was filthy and had burned food inside of it. Over the course of our stay, I have had to call the front desk on different occasions to request vacuum service, to have the trash can washed, properly clean the restroom etc. I became so extremely frustrated and disappointed with the Towneplace Suites that I decided to go next door to the other Marriott hotel (Fairfield Inn) and try and obtain a reservation there, with no luck. However, the attendant on duty assured me that she would contact the General Manager (Mr. Eric Morin/Towneplace Suites). I informed her that I had left a message on his voice service. After a few days, he saw my daughter in the front and told her that he’d received my message (so unprofessional). Management here speaks volumes about the Marriott.
Praiseworthy enough to mention is an employee that I encountered in this place which is a young gentleman by the name of Mr. Octavius Crowell (Night Auditor). When I phoned the hotel from South Korea to make reservations, his phone etiquette was outstanding, professional and what one would expect from customer service and a hotel such as the Marriott. My family flew in to Columbus, Georgia for the death of my brother and Mr. Crowell made me feel much better while I was on the phone with him making reservations for the Towneplace Suites because of his courteous attitude. My hat’s off to him for knowing how to treat customers. Other employees in this hotel should emulate him. He is by far the absolute best and surely stands out above the rest to include management.
I vowed not to ever stay here after the last time in July/August 2009. The maid service was not good then and a couple of the front desk clerks seemed a bit thuggish. But I thought that it had improved or Management had gotten better (obviously not). I have stayed with the Marriott in other states and the Columbus, Georgia Towneplace Suite location has to be the worst to date.
What resonates with me the most is the lazy housekeepers that obviously does the bare minimum in order to stay employed. I cannot pinpoint just one because there have been several during the course of my stay. My perception is that the maid service does a terrible job with the upkeep of this place. Not to mention that the Manager seems to care less about correcting problems for customer satisfaction. A customer should not have to constantly point out things that have not been cleaned. The manager has a lackadaisical attitude as well.
I am a Gold Elite member and is presently staying in #102 (2) bedroom suite (nearly a one month stay).
I felt compelled to inform the corporate office of the Marriott about how their property is being managed and maintained.
I seriously thought about using my Priority Club membership at one of the other hotels. If there are no changes in the cleaning service and care and concern for this property, I will definitely never stay at the Towneplace Suites (Marriott) in Columbus, Georgia again.
Thank you in advance for your attention to the issues at the Towneplace Suites.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
I am sorry that you felt this way while staying with us. When you arrived, we were trying to accomodate you as soon as possible because you had just flown in from out of the country. We violated our own procedure by checking you in your room before the room was fully checked by the supervisor. Then when you brought the issue to the GM a few minutes later he came and even offered to clean the oven at that moment for you, but the help was refused and the housekeepers cleaned it the next day.
After the message was left for the GM, he left a few messages on the room phone with no response. This is the reason he spoke to the daughter to see what he could do to help. Finally, he did speak to you through the door of your room, and stated he would come by every day and make sure that everything was cleaned correctly. Also, he stated to please let him know if there is anything else he could do for you during your stay. Nothing else was brought to his attention. We believe we have done everything we can, but if you can think of anything else please let me know.