“Home away from Home”

Ranked #34 of 46 Hotels in Columbus
Sylvester, Georgia, United States
“Home away from Home”
Reviewed 13 March 2013

I have visited this hotel on several occasions and have always found a friendly staff behind the desk. The rooms are spacious and the hotel has always been very clean. The military decor throughout the hotel has a personal story behind each item or picture and it's nice to see men or women in uniforms flowing in and out of the doors at all times. This extended stay is in a great location to meet my travel needs. All the luxuries(free internet, refrigerator, stove, microwave, continential breakfast, pool, exercise room, computers, children game room and other outdoor activities) are included with the reasonable nightly/weekly rate. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Ft. Benning or the Columbus area. I will be back!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Jennifer A, Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Columbus Fort Benning, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
Thank you so much for this wonderful review. It makes us very happy to see that our guests have enjoyed themselves while staying with us. We strive to make each of every one of our guests feel at home while they are here. We hope that you get a chance to come stay with us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 21 February 2013

We stayed here for our son's basic training graduation for just one night. If it had been any longer we would have found another hotel. The staff was very friendly and the hotel was fairly clean (mold in the bathroom though) but that wasn't enough to keep us there any longer. The beds were very uncomfortable and they only gave one small pillow for each person. There was a strange gas smell in the hallway (made us kind of nervous) and breakfast was not good. We left and went down the street to Huddle House and that was much better. I will say that I was very impressed by the military decor throughout.

• Stayed February 2013
Jennifer A, Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Columbus Fort Benning, responded to this review, 25 February 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback. I do apologize that your stay was not everything that you wanted it to be and we want you to know we are "listening" to feedback. We have taken a look at our continental breakfast and what we offer and have decided to forgo some of the sweeter items and replace them with hot items such as eggs and sausage. Though still not up to par to a full breakfast that you pay for at Huddle House, we do hope that our guests like this change. I apologize you were not happy with the pillow accommodations, though we are always willing to give our guests extra pillows or any other bedding needs. It has been fairly warm here in Georgia and we have not had much cause to use our heaters. When they are first turned on they do emit a heat smell, but please be assured there is nothing burning. We would love it if you are in the area again, if you would decide to stay with us again and give us the opportunity to improve upon your last stay.
Indio, California
Reviewed 15 February 2013

I stayed here for my 36 hour pass that I was granted at the end of Week 9 in the U.S. Army Infantry School.

The upside:
The rate was reasonable, my room was clean and spacious. Having that space and solitude made for an excellent 36 hours of recuperation. I loved the fridge, microwave, and stove. Made it so I could go grocery shopping for some foods I hadn't eaten in MONTHS, like ice cream and pizza, and enjoy them in my room. The management also let my friend Dave and I use their full kitchen so we could enjoy some true home cooking (Dave and I were both chefs before enlisting.) The outdoor pool was nice, and the gazebo made for a great place to have birthday cake with a couple other Soldiers and their families that drove up. (Mine was way too far away.) At the end of my stay, I encountered an issue from back home that needed my attention, and the General Manager, Kimbi, not only let me check out late and deal with it; she was willing to go the extra mile by calling my leadership at Ft. Benning and tell them what was going on. She made sure I was taken care of all the way 'til I got back to Fort Benning.

The downside:
There was a major youth soccer rally happening that weekend, with the hotel booked solid, and a TON of kids running around the lobby screaming and jumping off the furniture. It would have been nice if the staff and the chaperones restored some sort of order to the lobby and common areas. One amenity I was looking forward to using was the USO room for military and their families. That restriction wasn't enforced, and the kids were running and throwing things in there, too. As a result, it was not only annoying, but also made the common and USO areas way messier than they needed to be. That's the only reason I'm giving this place four circles instead of five.

Overall:
I would highly recommend this place to anyone headed TO Fort Benning for a graduation, or headed FROM Fort Benning to get away for a little bit. For those recruits looking to save money by rooming with other people, please take my advice and room alone...it's worth the extra $$ to not deal with someone else's crap and noise for the night. Also, for Pete's sake, don't do something stupid that's going to get your 36 hour pass revoked (or "not earned" as the Drill Sergeants put it).

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Thank you so much for your review. It has actually been a little while since you have stayed with us and we have made quite a few changes. We have added some new amenities for our guests such as horseshoes and basketball. We are currently adding a volleyball court to our front yard. We no longer have the USO located here; however, we are just as soldier friendly as always. I do apologize that your stay was not as perfect as you would have liked, with all the soccer kids here. We do try to keep everyone happy and accommodate everyone's needs, though sometimes that goal seems higher than others. We do appreciate your feedback and hope that you get a chance to come stay with us again. We are under new management and making improvements every day. A large part of those improvements are made based on our guest reviews and we enjoy having the chance to show that we are paying attention.
Reviewed 13 February 2013

I love this hotel. This is my second stay here and I have never been disappointed. The staff here are all extremely accommodating and so nice. The rooms are clean, they have any resource you could ask for and it's less expensive then other hotels with an amazing staff that makes you feel at home. I recommend this hotel above all others.

• Stayed February 2013
Jennifer A, Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Columbus Fort Benning, responded to this review, 14 February 2013
Thanks for the great review. We love having our guests stay here as much as our guests love staying here. We are so lucky to have the wonderful guests that we do and we appreciate each and every one of you. We also appreciate you taking the time out to share your experience.
Reviewed 10 February 2013

The staff was amazing and friendly. The owner was amazing. His knowledge was most helpful. This is where I will stay again when we are in town. Military friendly. great location for Fort Benning. and Sandhill. accommodate children with outdoor games and movie nites.

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you so much for this wonderful review. It makes us so happy to see that our guests were happy with us. We strive to ensure every guest who stays with us feels like this is their home. I am so glad you enjoyed yourself here and hope that you get a chance to come stay with us again.
Aspen, Colorado
Reviewed 18 January 2013

We were at Ft. Benning for our son's graduation - we are so propud of him - and chose this hotel at the suggestions of another family on base. It was terrific. The GM took special care of us, and we so enjoyed the whole stay. Ouyr room was terrific with a kitchen and lots of space, adn we enjoyed it all. It's a place we can recommend absolutely.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Warren K
Jennifer A, Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Columbus Fort Benning, responded to this review, 31 January 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We love hearing from our guests and we certainly love hearing such postive feedback. More than anything we want our guests to enjoy their time in Columbus and here at Suburban. We hope you get a chance to come back and stay with us again.
Fairbanks, Alaska, United States
Reviewed 15 December 2012

One of the most accommodating, and friendliest staffs I have ever experienced. Very nice rooms, and facilities at a price you can't beat. I would highly recommend Suburban Extended Stay of Columbus to anyone looking for a first class place to stay.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Justin W
Jennifer A, Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Columbus Fort Benning, responded to this review, 17 December 2012
Thank you so much for your review. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed staying with us. We hope that you get a chance to come stay with us again.