Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Columbus Fort Benning
Ranked #34 of 46 Hotels in Columbus
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
“Disgusting”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

As I was visiting my fiance at Fort Benning after his military graduation we were guided to stay at the Suburban Inn by a "neighboring" hotel. We were told that they only had two rooms left and everything else was booked in ALL of Columbus. Both rooms were horrific! Both were non-smoking. One reeked of smoke and the other reeked of.... I really don't know what. Years of uncleanliness is my guess. We could hardly sleep it was so dirty and smelled so bad. I was worried we'd have to sleep in the car that night, but after staying in the hotel room I would have rather roughed it in the parking lot. I understand when you travel you can't expect the best. At this price I couldn't have expected ANYTHING worse!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Carly L
Jennifer A, Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Columbus Fort Benning, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
I honestly do not know how to respond to your review. My first response is that maybe you stayed somewhere else and had us mixed up with that hotel. We have never had a complaint such as this. We have had complaints that we are showing wear and tear, but nothing like this. I would like you to contact me at gin.suburban@gmail.com so that I may look into this situation further. Thank you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Harrison, Ohio
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Was in town for 2 nights to participate in the Soldier Marathon at Ft Benning, just needed somewhere to rest & relax before and after the marathon. Conveinent to entrance of Ft Benning, only about one mile away. Check in/out was easy and without problems, desk clerks were friendly and helpful. Rooms were nice and spacious. Walls must be thin, noise from hallway and other rooms were quite noticeable, but at least it wasn't constant since we were in a more secluded area of the hotel. Breakfast starts at 7AM, the marathon started at 8, so that wasn't good, but I had brought my own food, so it worked out. Would stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time out to send us this review. I am glad you enjoyed your time with us. We actually did start breakfast an hour earlier (at 6am) on race day for our Marathon runners. I apologize that our staff did not make this clear to you. Your reference to thin walls is not our first and we are trying to find ways to correct this problem. I hope that you get to stay with us again and run in the marathon again next year. We enjoy having the marathon runners stay with us and we are always looking for ways to improve our guests' stay with us. Thank you.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 October 2013

My family stayed for a graduation. The lobby was nice and big, the amenities were great. The breakfast would've been good but the young lady was just a completely rude and cussed worst than a sailor. I heard her frequently using the f word and if anyone asked her something she would start yelling. Things ran out in breakfast and when she was found and told she yelled. I am an adult and spending MY money...actually a lot more money than other hotels in the area.... and was treated badly. Not only me but others. The other lady that did breakfast was wonderful and very helpful. The rooms were dark and dusty. Also, I noticed that if you leave a negative review on here it gets removed. I guess that is why there aren't as many reviews as other hotels. I will never stay there again nor recommend to anyone. There are better hotels in the area with a lot classier people working.

Room Tip: Go to Holiday Inn or Candlewood. If you go here, stay in your room and dodge the rudeness.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Jennifer A, Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Columbus Fort Benning, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
I would first like to thank you for taking time out to share your experience and to apologize that you did not receive the level of service that we are known for at our hotel. I would like to discuss this situation with you further in detail so that I may address this with our staff. I do not want any guest to feel treated badly by our staff. Please contact me at gin.suburban@gmail.com
Spring Valley, California
Reviewed 5 October 2013

The rooms are reasonably priced. The bedroom and kitchen were antiquated but clean. The mattress absolutely sucked, terrible.
The breakfast is formula, right out of a can or the freezer. Eggs are terrible. Biscuits too. Coffee is .....well count on using lots of creamer. Elevator is never swept, same debris remained in place for my entire five night stay. Room 222 needs new sheets and blankets as the ones we endured have many holes. Friends in other "suites" reported similar conditions. Internet only works in the lobby, and half of the phones do not work; lightening strike a few months ago, they say.

Close to the Infantry Museum and a stream of soldiers to thank for their service but.?.?.... There are better options close by.

Room Tip: Stay here to save money, somewhere else for comfort.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank kenmac1
Jennifer A, Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Columbus Fort Benning, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
We appreciate you taking your time to leave us a review about your stay. We apologize that it was not up to our usual standards. We strive to keep all of our facility clean and comfortable for all of our guests, all of the time. We were struck by lightning a few weeks ago and are still having some fall out from this incident, such as low wireless signal and some phones not working. Our goal is to make this as little an inconvenience as possible. I apologize that we were apparently unable to meet that goal for your stay. I hope that if you should ever be in the area again, you will give us another chance to show you our hospitality.
Delavan, Wisconsin
Reviewed 17 August 2013

My daughter and I traveled to Columbus to attend my son's Airborne Graduation at Fort Benning. I was looking for somewhere close to the base with a small kitchen and a more "feels like home" atmosphere. My family can attest to the fact that Duke Doubleday and the entire staff at the Suburban Extended Stay - Columbus are doing it right. From the clean facility, to the pool, the charcoal grills available for use, the sitting area, made of logs and boasting a tv, near the well landscaped courtyard was the place to be for conversation and relaxing. The complimentary breakfast was hot and delicious, the ping pong table was open all day, and there were rocking chairs along the back patio for a place to rest. The kitchen with a full size fridge, cook top and microwave was perfect! For a family get away - to relax, and enjoy each other, not worry about anything, book at the Suburban Extended Stay in Columbus, GA. Duke - we will be back!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Jennifer A, Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Columbus Fort Benning, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Thank you so much for this wonderful review. I like seeing that families were able to enjoy their time together while staying here with us. I am also happy to see another guest that felt that at home here with us. We do like our guests to feel as if it is one big happy family here and it seems as if we certainly are accomplishing that more often than not. Congratulations on your soldier's graduation and we look forward to seeing you again.
Hesperia, California, United States
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Booked 2 rooms, 1 was supposed to be for a wheelchair. IT WAS NOT. They are not honest. Had confirmation for 1 price and billed my card for another price. Don't leave your keys in the room at checkout VEIW what they are charging you. They billed me $49.10 more then my confirmation. Jennifer who is supposed to be the manager there told me I should be happy that the girl who booked the room undercharged me. She said she charged me for a king not 2 doubles, even though my reservastion confirmation states 2 doubles. How am I supposed to be happy about something they OVERCHARGED me on. She said she would credit me $20. BIG DEAL she should haved credited me $49.10. Also no housekeeping, they charge if you want your beds made. Stick to the HAMPTON or MARRIOTT. Dog area not for wheelchair it's down a grassy hill. Breakfast...don't eat the biscuits very dry.

Room Tip: Stay at the Hampton or Marriott instead.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Brenda C
I want to thank you for taking the time out to leave us a review. Even if a review is not a 5 star review, we still appreciate the time it takes to share your opinion. Sometimes these reviews are the ones that give us the greatest advice. Your reservation for two rooms with two double beds was made incorrectly; you received a confirmation for both rooms. One confirmation was at the $86 room rate and one was at the $76 room rate. You were charged the $86 room rate on both of your rooms; however, when you brought this to my attention I apologized for the mistake and credited your credit card for the rate difference of $10 plus tax per night. I apologize again that you feel we did not give you a handicapped accessible room. Unfortunately, not all of our accessible rooms have roll-in showers. Also, we do not charge extra for any housekeeping needs. We are required by our franchise to put magnets on our refrigerators that say if you need housekeeping there is a fee and to let our staff know; however, we do not charge for housekeeping and we do provide daily housekeeping. We provide light service for guests that are staying over and full housekeeping services once a week for our extended stay guests. We were not aware that it was difficult to get down the small grassy hill to the fenced in pet area. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention and we will be looking into ways to make the fenced in area more accessible.
Clarkston, Georgia
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We stayed at the Suburban for our son's graduation from basic training and absolutely loved it. The staff is friendly, courteous, and willing to please. I had the pleasure of meeting Jennifer, Jessica, Tina, and Amy who greeted us with a smile every time we walked through the lobby. They go out of their way to provide soldiers who are on their family pass or those awaiting housing a wonderful down home atmosphere, and to that end, they have a foosball table, ping pong table, basketball court, horseshoes, bean bag toss, and a other items available at the front desk for recreation.

They have a beautiful pool, outdoor pavilion with fans (where we spent an entire day from 11:30 to midnight) with grills and TV, a fitness room, laundry room, small dining area where they serve a hot breakfast, office area, and rec. room. They also have a beautiful patio area complete with rocking chairs, outdoor fans and a TV. They even have a 'doggie park' where your pets can play. There are 'bags' provided to clean up doggie messes out in the park. The park area includes timer lights that can be turned on at night or early morning.

The rooms are very clean and secure. All doors including any into the building from the backyard are all key entry. The entire area is fenced so I felt safe and secure. The room even included a safe with a code that is created by the person using it. The rooms have a small kitchenette with a full-size refrigerator and a stove with two eyes. They have a skillet and a pot along with a few pieces of silverware, spatula, serving spoon, and potholders which would have been useful, but not knowing they would be there, I brought my own. They even had a few plates, bowls and glasses up in the cupboard. We prepared quite the feast for our son and four other soldiers.

The feast wouldn't have been complete without the owner of the hotel joining us. He entertained the soldiers with a few war stories and entertained the parents with his humor and wit.

Great hotel, great price, great service...definitely coming back

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to leave us this wonderful review. We appreciate it so much. It makes us very happy to read how much our guests enjoy staying with us. It look as though you and your family enjoyed all of our amenities while you were here. I am so glad that you were able to have so much fun while you were here. I hope that you get a chance to come stay with us again. You could even choose to come visit on your next vacation time. Congratulations on your soldier's graduation and we hope we do get to see you all again.