“Best hotel in Columbus”

Ranked #14 of 46 Hotels in Columbus
Georgia
“Best hotel in Columbus”
Reviewed 3 August 2009

I travel to Columbus frequently, and used to stay at the Columbus Marriott downtown. Someone told me about the Hyatt Place, which is much more affordable, and now it's my new favorite. Great hotel. Fantastic rooms that are huge. There's a separate sitting area, and a large LCD TV. And, the staff is incredibly nice.
Highly recommend!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank kg30345

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Louisville, KY
Reviewed 31 July 2009

This was my second time staying at this location. The staff are very friendly and bend over backwards to make sure you needs are met. Close to many restaurants and a couple of movie theaters. Was close to my meeting location as well. Hyatt Place rooms are hard to beat -- very spacious, great tv's, large workspace with free wi-fi and this location had fairly new workout machines. The free breakfast at Hyatt Place is great as well.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank UMS
ARLINGTON
Reviewed 7 July 2009

Big plush rooms, great breakfast, quick and fresh food and drink any time without the pretentiousness of a hotel restaurant -- all those would make this hotel great, but what really impressed me was the staff. Skip the check-in kiosk, and enjoy the warm and friendly greeting instead. A guest shouted a nasty racial epithet at the front desk clerks after her husband's car was towed, but the staff kept their poise and continued to serve other guests -- not ignoring the incident, but also not letting it affect their good humor and commitment to maintaining the best possible environment for all guests.

One complaint: The highspeed Internet connection in my room went out during the last part of my visit, and the techs and the 800 number never could fix the problem. However, the computer downstairs was still available. I also really liked the privacy of the networked printer in the business center. I could print from my room and use an ID to pick up my document without having to disturb the other guests who were using the computers --and without anyone else seeing my documents.

Suggestion: Give the staff more training on the espresso machine. They shouldn't have to look up the procedure for making a mocha.

WARNING: Regarding the towing incident described above, take the staff seriously when they say you need to put the sign they provide on your dashboard. The hotel is flanked by two very busy restaurants, and towing unsigned cars is the only way they can preserve parking spaces for hotel guests. If someone is coming to visit you at this hotel, make sure you get a parking pass for them and put it on the car immediately. You have been warned!

As I expect to be back at Ft. Benning for more events during my son-in-law's Army career, I look forward to returning to this Hyatt Place. The location was a little hard to find at first, but once I got oriented, I found it convenient to get on I-185 and zip down to Benning or follow Veterans Parkway toward downtown.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank Dunyazade
Lawrenceville GA
Reviewed 26 May 2009

My friend and I stayed at the Hyatt Place in Columbus, GA for a large church reunion celebration on Mother's Day. It was a three-day event, and other attendees were also staying at the property for the same event. The hotel staff went way beyond our expectations to see that every need was met. I particularly want to suggest this property because the lay-out of the suite is so comfortable, as well as attractive. Who could believe a 42" TV! We had two queen beds and an adjoining sitting room would have accommodated two more people because of the new convertible sofa. It was indeed a home away from home, as all conveniences were provided (refrigerator/bar/privacy divider).

Of course, we had special rates, so for general use, be prepared to pay more - but still I believe it would be worth it, especially for a larger family. I highly recommend the Hyatt Place North in Columbus, GA for a night - or a week. It might be considered out of the way for downtown Columbus events; however, the access is very easy from the Interstate (I-185) and there never were any traffic issues. Being from the busy Atlanta area, it was a snap to get anywhere, even if one was going to nearby Ft. Benning.

• Stayed May 2009